Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 02:51 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I have an older non-smart tv and just assume that the cable provider can track what we watch and use it for whatever purpose they want. A smart tv is just a more sophistocated spy device that gathers more information.
Yup! If this is a thing for us to worry about, the cable and satellite TV providers would have been doing for years already. Cable boxes can do much of the same tracking that is being attributed to smart TVs.

Just curious, I pretty much only watch older TV programs that were produced prior to 2010 on my smart TV. Would that raise alarm bells with the DNC if they found out?

Old 09-19-2021, 02:54 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Just curious, I pretty much only watch older TV programs that were produced prior to 2010 on my smart TV. Would that raise alarm bells with the DNC if they found out?
No, just your family.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:00 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
More Conspiracies? I thought we had enough….Perhaps the exiting ones got old.
“They collect data”…who are “they”? Are democrats providing you cable TV? In case you weren’t aware “they” collect data on every website or place you visit for many years. Why are democrats only now starting to collect data about the programs you watch?

Beware: if you watch Fox News the Democrat police may knock on your door with an arrest warrant. I’d be very careful.
Unless these timeframes have changed, Google keeps your data forever, and Bing and Yahoo each keep your data for two years.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:03 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
All such modern technology is being used to make your individual liberty go extinct.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:52 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This struck my eye in the article you posted.

Quote:
The final provision related to gun owners is that individuals do not have to disclose they own a gun.
Don't HAVE to? WTF? You don't HAVE to disclose ANYTHING to a healthcare provider. OF COURSE you don't HAVE to. The fact that the language is even there is chilling.

I don't know about the legal requirements regarding this issue, but I do know that I'm asked the question regardless of the reason for my visit - even a dog bite. So it's not only for the consideration of people who have been identified as having suicidal or homicidal thoughts, as the article purports.

Did you notice that they didn't include the actual legal language at issue, but gave their interpretation of each of the five provisions they chose to tell you about? They didn't even provide a link to the law. Just trust their "who could be against this" version. You don't need to make that assessment for yourself, right?

Most of the piece was a hit job against the NRA. That alone should have told you that you were being propagandized. Then they told you what it said, without telling you what it actually says. Red flags. Big, waving ones. There was literally no information of value related to the subject matter that I could find in that article, other than the page number in the law, which I'll just assume points to where they say, but honestly, I shouldn't.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:17 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
I'm thinking....

I am about to buy a smart TV, and as I understand it, they can collect data on what news programs I watch. Are we far away from the point that the provider will "sell" the data to the DNC so they can determine who the "domestic enemy" is, and then target them for extra IRS scrutiny and so forth (like they did with the conservative fund-raising groups)?

How else will Democrats collect information on those who are likely to be opposed to their agenda? As I recall, Obamacare required all doctors to ask, as part of the pre-exam questions, whether you owned a gun.

(Orwell didn't warn us about the smart TVs.)
The democrats (or anyone for that matter) really doesn't care what you or anyone else is thinking. As an individual, unless you are very wealthy or extremely well connected, you are completely invisible.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:37 PM

4,901 posts, read 2,055,276 times
Well, they the DNC, can kiss my @zz if they are collecting info on me. I couldn’t care less what they think of me or how I vote.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:49 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post

(Orwell didn't warn us about the smart TVs.)
Quote:
Behind Winston’s back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig iron and the over fulfillment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it; moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live—did live, from habit that became instinct—in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized.
https://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/pdf/2018/EL123456.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies