Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 09:44 AM

654 posts, read 280,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
A lotta people seem to think they're worth being monitored.
According to Edward Snowden, we all are. With his experience in the CIA, I tend to trust his opinion.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:45 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
I'm thinking....

I am about to buy a smart TV, and as I understand it, they can collect data on what news programs I watch. Are we far away from the point that the provider will "sell" the data to the DNC so they can determine who the "domestic enemy" is, and then target them for extra IRS scrutiny and so forth (like they did with the conservative fund-raising groups)?

How else will Democrats collect information on those who are likely to be opposed to their agenda? As I recall, Obamacare required all doctors to ask, as part of the pre-exam questions, whether you owned a gun.

(Orwell didn't warn us about the smart TVs.)
They can't get jack from my OLED's fred. I am not hooked up to the net brett on my TV's.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:47 AM

11,270 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckatredlightsagain View Post
And I wouldn't necessarily tie this to the Democrats. Maybe you only did that so you could post this in the P and OC section.
If the left didn't have a stranglehold on the media, big tech, and education, your point would have more validity. I agree that the right engages in this sort of behavior as well, but I fear the left much more because they are sure to weaponize it.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Whether you’re a celebrity or bum on the streets, if you’re unvaccinated, you deserve the lethal injection according to Democrats.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:52 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
I'm thinking....

I am about to buy a smart TV, and as I understand it, they can collect data on what news programs I watch. Are we far away from the point that the provider will "sell" the data to the DNC so they can determine who the "domestic enemy" is, and then target them for extra IRS scrutiny and so forth (like they did with the conservative fund-raising groups)?

How else will Democrats collect information on those who are likely to be opposed to their agenda? As I recall, Obamacare required all doctors to ask, as part of the pre-exam questions, whether you owned a gun.

(Orwell didn't warn us about the smart TVs.)
YouTube has already determined if I am the enemy by how fast I skip certain political ads. Suddenly the show I was watching froze. Was it a coincidence or did they punish me for skipping those ads?

Old 09-19-2021, 09:52 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Thank you for this. I will watch it.
You need to watch that guy's entire channel. He tells you so much about 'updates', 'upgrades', new 'features' and other such BS across many devices. The people scoffing and mocking right now have no damn clue what is actually happening.

As for me, I don't have a TV, and have no plans to get one. Sucks, because I eventually wanted to get a gaming console again, but...don't see how it's worth it.

When my stocks pay off, I'm not going to need my 'smart'phone anymore, either, and can go back to some basic phone - even landline, because I actually hate cell phones. (Especially because people can't seem to function for even a second without one, even behind the wheel of their cars...don't get me started.)

That leaves me with my laptop. Well, I can build my own, one, and 2, VPN! But not just 'any' VPN. Research those before you get one. Not all of them actually protect your privacy.

Oh, and while you're at it, ublock, ghostery, and anything that will kill Javascript as extensions for your browser.

And, if you ever get a new computer, or you just hate Windows10 with a fiery passion for the sole reason that they tried to force it on people who wee on Windows 7, (until some of us found a program that blocked their dumb Win10 files and still have Win7, to this day), use Linux.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If the left didn't have a stranglehold on the media, big tech, and education, your point would have more validity. I agree that the right engages in this sort of behavior as well, but I fear the left much more because they are sure to weaponize it.
Ok, I'll give you that! I guess I meant that they weren't elected Democrats doing this stuff. And, I also agree, that any authoritarian government, left or right, would engage in this behavior. That's why we should all be trying to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
I love this forum.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:59 AM

11,270 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I love this forum.
I should hope so. Normal people don't stick around for 9 years doing things they don't love!

Old 09-19-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You need to watch that guy's entire channel. He tells you so much about 'updates', 'upgrades', new 'features' and other such BS across many devices. The people scoffing and mocking right now have no damn clue what is actually happening.

As for me, I don't have a TV, and have no plans to get one. Sucks, because I eventually wanted to get a gaming console again, but...don't see how it's worth it.

When my stocks pay off, I'm not going to need my 'smart'phone anymore, either, and can go back to some basic phone - even landline, because I actually hate cell phones. (Especially because people can't seem to function for even a second without one, even behind the wheel of their cars...don't get me started.)

That leaves me with my laptop. Well, I can build my own, one, and 2, VPN! But not just 'any' VPN. Research those before you get one. Not all of them actually protect your privacy.

Oh, and while you're at it, ublock, ghostery, and anything that will kill Javascript as extensions for your browser.
Yes, I also watch this guy's channel. It's been VERY eye-opening, to say the least.

You could always go to Goodwill and get a "dumb" tv to play a new game console, but then again these consoles collect information, too. Unless you were to buy the disc version that doesn't have to connect to the server, as much. It's a catch-22, unfortunately.

I guess the rule of thumb is, as long as there isn't any information that ties that device directly to you, it's "ok".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies