Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 03:57 AM

18,469 posts, read 7,107,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Don’t bother they don’t want to hear it.

They don’t want to hear that NSW will drop all mask restrictions, that there will be no restrictions on the unvaccinated, or anyone - and unlike all the stuff that’s going on in the US and has been for months, this was only temporary here and will be dropped in due course.

They would rather demonise Aussies than address their own country.

Guess it’s easier to to crap on others non stop than fix your own backyard.

So, you're saying that all the violence and suppression of rights was justified because you were scared and you don't think it's going to be permanent......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 04:23 AM

13,471 posts, read 9,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So, you're saying that all the violence and suppression of rights was justified because you were scared and you don't think it's going to be permanent......
Oh ffs.

There’s very little violence and yes, it was justified to shut down for a while, because if we hadn’t, our hospitals would have been overwhelmed to the point where we wouldn’t be able to give care to all the normal crap that happens to people, and, a tonne of people would have died unnecessarily. Which yanno we don’t care for.

Plus, getting Covid in our Aboriginal communities was not an option.

You can call it suppression of rights if you like, whatever, but to do nothing in the face of that contagion would have been horrendous.

You all act like nothing has been happening the last 18 months, everything’s normal, go about your business, nothing to see here.

That’s why your countrymen are dying in such huge numbers. And you’ll still have to wear masks and have vax mandates.

We don’t want that. You do it your way. Not sure why you care so much about us, you never did before. It’s quite funny really.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:51 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,799,869 times
Quote:
Well I appreciate that, but I’ve been ridiculed on this forum more than once for suggesting the restrictions are a temporary measure that are in place to stop the virus overrunning our hospitals and killing a butt load of people, and that they’ll be rolled back at some point.

And I know this because we’ve been through all this already and we opened up originally pretty much fully for months and months.

But yanno, people seem to want to demonise and use Australia as some kind of monster boogeyman which we don’t deserve and don’t appreciate.

I’ve been telling you and every other naysayer for months now that we aren’t some horrible dystopian nightmare, and yes there are a few steps to get through and some of our states are going to have to stop being hermits and get back into the real world, but we have always been a free and open country and that’s not gone anywhere, just had to get through this friggin virus nightmare for a minute.

Just like every other country.

ETA - I linked somewhere in one of the threads the study that was done in schools and early childhood centres that proved that even with Delta, kids aren’t huge virus vectors and don’t get very sick, so schools are not a risky hotbed that require masks and other measures on kids. I’ll see if I can find it again, perhaps you can find a rep in your state to pass it into? It was done by our dept of Ed.
Thanks, I'd appreciate any links, but there have been many other studies about how low a risk kids are that I'm sure these blue state governors are aware of. Kids are not a big problem. Also, schools in other countries have been open and unmasked, without major problems. I don't think evidence will sway my particular governor. She seems drunk with her new (unelected) power. And authorities in many countries seem determined to mandate the vaccine for kids as young as possible.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
My perception may be off on this but it seems the folks who were campaigning for more aggression from law enforcement on protesters here in the USA last summer are having an issue with law enforcement officers shutting down protesters in Australia?

Did I read that wrong?

Old 09-28-2021, 06:14 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My perception may be off on this but it seems the folks who were campaigning for more aggression from law enforcement on protesters here in the USA last summer are having an issue with law enforcement officers shutting down protesters in Australia?

Did I read that wrong?
No, you havent been reading it wrong.
We've already seen cops here in the states show up with health inspectors to shut businesses down who didnt comply with fallacious covid regs (which are all of them).
Never for a minute think a govt cop (in any country) is going to let your rights get in the way of their paycheck, pension, health insurance...

Old 09-28-2021, 06:20 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,558,385 times
Time for a change in leadership there.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:20 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,799,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Did I read that wrong?
Yes, you did.

People wanted police to stop the rioting and arson with normal policing measures including making arrests. NOT to stop protests or to brutalize people. There is a difference between setting businesses on fire, like in Kenosha, and protesting. The rule of law applies to citizens AND police.

Some of us pointed out the hypocrisy of the health authorities who locked people in their homes marching with protesters (and only endorsing certain protests), but that wasn't to say protests shouldn't be allowed.

Peaceful protests MUST always be allowed everywhere...

by anyone regardless of their ideology

even in a pandemic.

Otherwise a nation can no longer be considered free.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:23 AM

5,074 posts, read 2,285,802 times
Quote:
Well I appreciate that, but I’ve been ridiculed on this forum more than once for suggesting the restrictions are a temporary measure that are in place to stop the virus overrunning our hospitals and killing a butt load of people, and that they’ll be rolled back at some point.

And I know this because we’ve been through all this already and we opened up originally pretty much fully for months and months.

But yanno, people seem to want to demonise and use Australia as some kind of monster boogeyman which we don’t deserve and don’t appreciate.

I’ve been telling you and every other naysayer for months now that we aren’t some horrible dystopian nightmare, and yes there are a few steps to get through and some of our states are going to have to stop being hermits and get back into the real world, but we have always been a free and open country and that’s not gone anywhere, just had to get through this friggin virus nightmare for a minute.

Just like every other country.

ETA - I linked somewhere in one of the threads the study that was done in schools and early childhood centres that proved that even with Delta, kids aren’t huge virus vectors and don’t get very sick, so schools are not a risky hotbed that require masks and other measures on kids. I’ll see if I can find it again, perhaps you can find a rep in your state to pass it into? It was done by our dept of Ed.
I've linked to studies done here in the US that say the same, and what do I see in response? Tons of posters who refuse to believe it, who keep insisting that a toddler is going to infect the entire school and all the teachers are going to die.

The biggest problem in the US that I can see is that WAY too many people are still scared to death, and they
give power to those who would continue the practices and mandates that aren't effective to begin with. If we all stopped playing along, the nonsense would end. If every elementary school child showed up without a mask every single day, the schools would eventually get the message. But that won't happen because of the terrified Karen.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I've linked to studies done here in the US that say the same, and what do I see in response? Tons of posters who refuse to believe it, who keep insisting that a toddler is going to infect the entire school and all the teachers are going to die.

The biggest problem in the US that I can see is that WAY too many people are still scared to death, and they
give power to those who would continue the practices and mandates that aren't effective to begin with. If we all stopped playing along, the nonsense would end. If every elementary school child showed up without a mask every single day, the schools would eventually get the message. But that won't happen because of the terrified Karen.
Could be kids are still not spreaders but when there are teacher/staff shortages because the adults get sick that creates a problem.

In a conservative community a school board had to close within two weeks of opening because of staff shortages.

I don't know -- I thought the important thing was to have kids IN the classroom. I guess only if they aren't masked?

Old 09-28-2021, 06:38 AM

18,469 posts, read 7,107,098 times
Quote:
Oh ffs.

There’s very little violence and yes, it was justified to shut down for a while, because if we hadn’t, our hospitals would have been overwhelmed to the point where we wouldn’t be able to give care to all the normal crap that happens to people, and, a tonne of people would have died unnecessarily. Which yanno we don’t care for.

Plus, getting Covid in our Aboriginal communities was not an option.

You can call it suppression of rights if you like, whatever, but to do nothing in the face of that contagion would have been horrendous.

You all act like nothing has been happening the last 18 months, everything’s normal, go about your business, nothing to see here.

That’s why your countrymen are dying in such huge numbers. And you’ll still have to wear masks and have vax mandates.

We don’t want that. You do it your way. Not sure why you care so much about us, you never did before. It’s quite funny really.

You're talking about a virus with a 99%+ survival rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies