Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2021, 07:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You’re from Chicago. Do you remember that incident? I’m assuming ‘75 or ‘76. I’m not quite sure, but since they were mostly teenagers murdered it made national news. It was horrific.
I was living in Chicago at the time, but don't recall that one. I do recall a similar incident in 1993 at a Brown's Chicken in Palatine, a suburb of Chicago.

How horrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 07:50 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They are 14% of the population and commit over 50% of all murders. Without the black on black murders, we would have a homicide rate about like Europe.
Maybe. We have a lot of cartel violence here, plus every time I was a victim or nearly a victim of some crazy potential rapist or murderer it was ALWAYS a white guy. You’d be shocked how often I was chased by grown men when I was a child living in apartments in the ‘70s. At the end of the decade me and a couple of friends were nearly kidnapped, and lord knows what that guy would have done to us had he gotten us in his car. I’ve often wondered if he was a serial killer. Two of my friends in 5th grade were accosted by a total stranger who took them into a vacant apartment and raped them at gunpoint.

It seemed to stop once I got older, which isn’t very comforting if you have young children. I don’t know why the ‘70s seemed so bad for that type of thing. Maybe trauma from the war or ease of getting away with it because police didn’t have the tools they have today.

Luckily we had a huge drop in crime starting in the early ‘90s among all demographics, but it started creeping back up and now it’s a torrent because of Democratic judges and prosecutors letting people out of jail on bond even if they’re in there for killing some rival gang member or committing family violence (probably the two most likely to go out and kill again). We have had nearly 200 murders perpetrated by people out on bond when they had no business being on the streets.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I was living in Chicago at the time, but don't recall that one. I do recall a similar incident in 1993 at a Brown's Chicken in Palatine, a suburb of Chicago.

How horrific.
Yes, we’ve had a few in Houston too. I don’t know why anyone would do that. It’s sick.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:57 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
I live in a small town. The last murder we had here was 3 years ago. A drug deal went bad. Dealer shot the buyer in the hand in a room. Buyer ran down the street. Dealer chased and shot him in the back. Prosecutor reduced charges from 1st degree murder to involuntary manslaughter. 7 years, be out in three. So the bad prosecutors are everywhere. Man who was killed had 3 kids.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I live in a small town. The last murder we had here was 3 years ago. A drug deal went bad. Dealer shot the buyer in the hand in a room. Buyer ran down the street. Dealer chased and shot him in the back. Prosecutor reduced charges from 1st degree murder to involuntary manslaughter. 7 years, be out in three. So the bad prosecutors are everywhere. Man who was killed had 3 kids.
That’s a shame.

Despite our high crime I still feel safe when I’m out and about. Messing with drug dealers can get you killed, but if you don’t engage in risky behavior or live in a bad area your chances of being a victim of crime are reduced significantly.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:11 PM

As of the start of September, there have been 159 people shot and killed while driving on Chicago expressways. Most of them on the Dan Ryan.

It's become a sick world where people are killing because they get a thrill out of it.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
As of the start of September, there have been 159 people shot and killed while driving on Chicago expressways. Most of them on the Dan Ryan.

It's become a sick world where people are killing because they get a thrill out of it.
Yes, that’s been happening here too. I don’t know what’s wrong with people. People kill over the dumbest things too. Just a week or two ago a man shot and killed another man at a gas station in front of his fiancé just for dinging his car door accidentally. I don’t know what goes through people’s minds to do that.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:26 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
I guess we are lucky. Murders are so rare in this part of my state, that even one in the biggest city in the area, about 60,000, are all over the news for days. When I lived in KC Mo , they were on an hourly basis. There, they seldom even made the news.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I guess we are lucky. Murders are so rare in this part of my state, that even one in the biggest city in the area, about 60,000, are all over the news for days. When I lived in KC Mo , they were on an hourly basis. There, they seldom even made the news.
Sounds nice.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yes, that’s been happening here too. I don’t know what’s wrong with people. People kill over the dumbest things too. Just a week or two ago a man shot and killed another man at a gas station in front of his fiancé just for dinging his car door accidentally. I don’t know what goes through people’s minds to do that.
Some people are raised without any control over their emotions, and are being taught that people better not disrespect them. Even looking at someone too long can result in being beaten up. That happened to a friend's son on an el in Chicago. The young man was just tired and staring off, not really focused on anything and before he knew it this guy attacked him, saying he was disrespecting him by staring at him.

I've never had violent thoughts before, but I'm beginning to wish every time someone had an encounter with someone like that, they'd just put us all out of our misery and kill the waste of flesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies