Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 10:25 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The end was to get out...and yes -- the means -- the way it happened was less than ideal.

But it wasn't initiated by a Biden policy. It was initiated by the President of Afghanistan abandoning his post.

NOBODY HAD THAT IN THE SCRIPT.

And once he left the Afghan army bailed -- faster than anybody -- even proponents of leaving 2500 troop in Afghanistan acknowledged.

So the chaos escalated. At that point -- all the dancing with the Taliban for two years and deadlines etc. -- was pushed to the front. The Taliban extended Trump's agreed upon deadline. ....and be clear I'm not necessarily criticising Trump's administration and their efforts to 'negotiate' with the Taliban.....but the only other option was a purposeful stand against the Taliban -- with would be initiating and engaging military aggression or -- we need to get out fast...and be done.

I'm sure my scenario is over simplistic.

And I am not suggesting Trump was to 'blame'......it's been 20 years of administrations setting policy that contradicts and antagonizes and set the chaos.

But the criticism was the chaos -- not initiated by a Biden policy. They were removing troops, personnel gradually and then the President gave up his post and the army ran.

I'm curious, are people suggesting the alternative of getting more troops in the region and facing off with the Taliban would be the answer?
He should have evacuated American civilians out first, he should have informed our allies first, Biden went to camp David. Sad that British special forces and French special forces were rescuing their citizens, but Biden refused and claimed it couldn’t be done. Nobody disputes we needed to leave, but Biden botched it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Lots of fireworks. Biden says they didn't advise him to keep 2500 troops. Maybe he forgot?

It's a giant **** sandwich either way!

Old 09-29-2021, 01:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And Pelosi calling Milley asking him to take the "nuclear football" away from Trump? Of course, we knew about it before, but this is the first time directly from his mouth. Her doing so has to be illegal.
The Speaker of the House is third in line. For Nancy Pelosi, this is her second time as Speaker.

That means Pelosi MUST know that the JCS Chairman is not a combatant commander. Twice Pelosi is Speaker, so twice Pelosi must be on record as knowing her official duties and knowledge as someone so close to the presidency. Twice she must have signed off that she know.

The JCS Chair by law not a combatant commander. That means general Mark Milley cannot walk into any military installation, not even boot camp, and start ordering people around. Sure, out of respect for his four-stars, people will do some things for him, but for what Woodward said that Milley demanded oaths from other service chiefs, that is not possible. The branch chiefs would politely tell him to F-off, even if they have less stars than him. And the branch chiefs would think that Milley, not Trump, who is crazy.

Milley is on record that he refused to Pelosi to comment on Trump's mental state. So for now, Milley is off the hook. FOR NOW.

This make Pelosi the more dangerous. It is irrelevant if Pelosi forgot or somehow is ignorant that the JCS Chair is not a combatant commander. The fact that she sought out the highest rank military officer and tried to convince him to deny the CINC of the US military a tool of war, one that is legislatively granted, made Pelosi at least suspect of treason.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:39 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
He should have evacuated American civilians out first, he should have informed our allies first, Biden went to camp David. Sad that British special forces and French special forces were rescuing their citizens, but Biden refused and claimed it couldn’t be done. Nobody disputes we needed to leave, but Biden botched it.
The whole world was told the US would be leaving Afghanistan May 2021. It was negotiated with the Taliban. The State department started contacting Americans and telling them to leave in March. Many of the Americans in Afghanistan were employees of contractors. Did employers have any duty to get their employees out in April May or June? They all waited until the last minute. Now it’s Biden’s fault?

The generals would have 5000 troops there for the next 20 years.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:21 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
i'm really surprised this milley statement didn't cause more of a stir.

‘I am certain Trump did not intend to attack the Chinese’

why wasn't there a follow up question as to how that's a total 180 from what he supposedly told bob woodward?

Old 09-29-2021, 09:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
The e concern was the safety for American citizens. CHAOS ensued initially and the concern was that Americans trying to get to the airport would become targets for the other militant groups opposing the Taliban and the USA.

And that became a reality with the bombing at the airport.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

why wasn't there a follow up question as to how that's a total 180 from what he supposedly told bob woodward?
He would have said he didn't say that to Woodward. Milley said he hasn't read the book. And I kind of get that --- but this is serious stuff and I think it would serve him and our country if he would read the book and issue a formal statement on what he did and didn't say.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:32 AM

Lost in all of this is that the Generals did not support Trump's removal of troops last fall.

But he did it anyways.

It is clear that Biden and Trump were adamant about the withdrawal. It is also clear that the military would have liked to keep some presence there.

I get the two sided coin here. I wish the USA could definitely walk away from the Middle East completely but I also know that there is some benefit in trying to stabilize that chaotic scene.

We've ignored Central America/Haiti chaos and look at the impact on us. There is some benefit to USA involvement around the world it seems.

But at the same time I want the troops to come home.....

Old 09-29-2021, 09:32 AM

21,930 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

There certainly was today. Turner smoked him. He lied and Turner knows it. Did you see the look on his face? Let's get the Trump people in there to testify that he is full of BS.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:04 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
There certainly was today. Turner smoked him. He lied and Turner knows it. Did you see the look on his face? Let's get the Trump people in there to testify that he is full of BS.
who is turner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies