Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 07:56 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
How will they know how many miles we drive?
How do you think? By tracking your every move. At least right now, in theory, if they want to know your movements, they either need to pull licence-reading camera (which are illegal), or your cellphone data, and the former might, but the latter definitely requires a subpoena. Given that there aren't license readers on every single street corner, the former is discontinuous and only gives a general idea. As to the latter, I can leave my phone at home. But if there's some GPS-tracking device required for every vehicle, they won't need any special process to access your complete movements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 07:56 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Because the benevolent Democratic overlords know what is best for the rest of us - therefore taxes are the means to ensure they have the money needed to direct us in the right direction.
Apparently

The Tyrannical Democratic Overlords can go **** themselves AFAIC. Government's fair share of my income, calculated as the fair market value of their contribution to my income, is -20%.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I'm not a fan of increasing taxes, but this change actually makes some sense to me, and has been considered for a while. It gets to the fact that people who drive electric, hybrid and other alternative fuel vehicles end up paying less tax than others when the tax is based on gas rather than miles. Alternative fuel vehicles have just as much wear and tear on the roads as conventional vehicles do, so in general this move is aimed at making this more fair. The devil will be in the details as far as ensuring that is what happens rather than an actual increase.
Doesn't that mean those driving gas vehicles are double taxed? Why not just tax the electric /hybrids instead?

Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,748,688 times
Quote:
Does your state have annual inspections ? Some states record the mileage on the odometer every year.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 PM

6,386 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
One of two ways...I'll give you a guess which one "Big Brother" will choose.

1. You will be required to go to a "verification" location and have your odometer verified.

2. They will install a GPS tracker in your car that tracks every mile you drive as well as where you are driving.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:08 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Does your state have annual inspections ? Some states record the mileage on the odometer every year.
Every two years. But they will pass without an odometer. I was an inspection mechanic for a while.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:11 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
One of two ways...I'll give you a guess which one "Big Brother" will choose.

1. You will be required to go to a "verification" location and have your odometer verified.

2. They will install a GPS tracker in your car that tracks every mile you drive as well as where you are driving.
Newer cars have a built in GPS already

Old 09-28-2021, 08:13 PM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
As more cars become electric, alternative funding mechanisms will have to be found. A mileage based tax is a possibility.
Well if this bill passes and the pilot program gets the money then this will become a reality within years.
Does anyone think they will be paying less tax this way ??

You will still have gasoline tax for your state part. Only the Fed part will disappear as they need every penny they can milk us for and so go after everyone via a mileage tax that they can raise to their heart's content.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
This lying SOB will sneak in all manner of middle class tax hikes that he can….

Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
It's another argument for working remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies