Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 01:09 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times

Advertisements

That is because k-12 is no longer an academic institution. It has become a social institution first with academics coming in second.

I've never had an issue with the academics but I have butted heads with school officials over their idea of social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 01:09 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Not sure, but in the state of Virginia at least, the PTA doesn't get a say in what's taught. It's generally a state issue with probably some local county flavor mixed in.

I realize each state is different, but I do think the way to go is to become very active in school board elections and most people do not care about those.
I sound like a broken record at this point but the way to go is school choice plus money follows the child. The parents vote with their money. Let failing schools close. Far more efficient than squabbling with school boards and bureaucrats.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:12 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Hello? “Public” school means parents do not pick and choose what is in the curriculum - teachers do. A dissenting parent has to pull the kid out of school and homeschool. This is not a new thing.
No teachers do not. Teachers have no say in what books the state buys or curriculum.The state board of education makes the call. Then the local school board. If a school district does not want state and federal money, they can teach whatever they please.

Go knock on every door on your block and ask them what kids need to be taught. Try not to laugh.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:15 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I sound like a broken record at this point but the way to go is school choice plus money follows the child. Let the parents vote with their money. Far more efficient than squabbling with school bureaucrats.
As a person who did have children and spent an awful lot of money at private high schools, yes, I would have loved a tax break. However, I also believe that if a society is going to have a public school system to benefit all of society, everyone needs to pay into it. Unfortunately, a broad spectrum school system for all is going to teach things you might find distasteful due to your own beliefs, and conversely, you may want things taught that someone else might find offensive. No one can be pleased 100%. That's why there's options to opt out of things that are offensive and rich folks always have the opportunities to pay for more enrichment.

What I will agree on is that if there are things that are controversial that the school feels it must teach, then all parents should be given a choice to opt their children out of it. If the schools do something aboslutely insane, they will quickly see that a ton of people are going to opt out. Then parents should absolutely vote these people out.

I'm also a taxpayer of schools and my kids are now adults, but I think I still get a say on how I want society educated. These kids that come out of these schools are my neighbors and might be caring for me in the old folks home one day.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:15 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Wrong!!!. Schools are controlled locally with guidance from the PTA which is made up of PARENTS. Teachers are supposed to be delivering the curriculum agreed on by the PTA and school board which is elected. Teachers should not have ANY say in what is taught.
HAHAHAHAHA. You’re kidding?

Have you ever known anybody who worked in public schools?

Old 09-29-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
As a person who did have children and spent an awful lot of money at private high schools, yes, I would have loved a tax break. However, I also believe that if a society is going to have a public school system to benefit all of society, everyone needs to pay into it. Unfortunately, a broad spectrum school system for all is going to teach things you might find distasteful due to your own beliefs, and conversely, you may want things taught that someone else might find offensive. No one can be pleased 100%. That's why there's options to opt out of things that are offensive and rich folks always have the opportunities to pay for more enrichment.

What I will agree on is that if there are things that are controversial that the school feels it must teach, then all parents should be given a choice to opt their children out of it. If the schools do something aboslutely insane, they will quickly see that a ton of people are going to opt out. Then parents should absolutely vote these people out.

I'm also a taxpayer of schools and my kids are now adults, but I think I still get a say on how I want society educated. These kids that come out of these schools are my neighbors and might be caring for me in the old folks home one day.
I don't think society benefits from public schools. Public schools aren't an absolute virtue, they're a means to an end. Society benefits from excellence in education, public, private, or otherwise. The education doesn't even need to take place at a school. If public schools aren't performing, we as a society need to put a stake through its heart, not prop up a bottomless money pit. Just because Horace Mann was successful with public schools in the 1800s doesn't mean we should perpetuate a system that costs us more and more for stagnating outcomes.

Do you agree that withholding money from schools that do things you disagree with, or don't please you, is more efficient at holding them accountable than using elections? TBH that's the biggest leverage we have as consumers of education.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:18 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
My local public school system spends about $30k/student and as a whole has terrible outcomes. The catholic school down the road costs $8k per kid. If you have 3 in there at once, it's $16k total. The catholic schools provide a better education too. Our public education system is doing something very wrong. It starts with the unions of course.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:28 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
As it should be. Don't need parents dictating to schools that they teach that the Earth is 6,000 years old or people went around riding dinosaurs just so little Jimmy doesn't question what his parents tell him.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My local public school system spends about $30k/student and as a whole has terrible outcomes. The catholic school down the road costs $8k per kid. If you have 3 in there at once, it's $16k total. The catholic schools provide a better education too. Our public education system is doing something very wrong. It starts with the unions of course.
$30k/head? For public school? That's ludicrous.

The private high school 20 minutes from me charges a hair less than that, and they routinely place people into Harvard/Penn/Vanderbilt etc. and average 1480 on the SAT.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:40 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
"Democrat ex governor now candidate Terry McCuAliffe says parents shouldn't control what their children learn in school."

Then children should not be sent to any school that is of this mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies