Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 10:44 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
How about comparing our quality of life, happiness, health, education, worker protections with Denmark, Germany, Canada and other first world nations? We leave a lot to be desired, frankly.
Sure, I'll put my QOL up against any of them. Try me.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:50 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
If America is so bad why do leftists demand the abolition of ICE, suspension of deportations, and why do they not complain about the much higher numbers of illegal aliens coming through Mexico since January 20, 2021?

I mean, the left screams, harps, shouts, gesticulates, stomps its feet, and does every other imaginable shrill thing to point out how "white supremacy" and "systemic racism" abound here.

Given the overwhelming majority of illegal aliens aren't white, why do the leftists want illegal aliens of color to come here en masse? Why do they want amnesty?

Shouldn't they be screaming, "America is racist! It's dangerous for you because you're not white! Stay away!" ?

Old 10-04-2021, 10:52 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Sure, I'll put my QOL up against any of them. Try me.

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-li...by_country.jsp
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...-life-rankings
https://www.worlddata.info/quality-of-life.php
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-04-2021, 10:55 AM

A bunch of biased links aren't going to convince me, sorry.

I don't want to live where the government controls my life and taxes me at 70%.

America is all about forging your own path and creating your own happiness. It's not hard to do.

You also take many rights and protections from being an American citizen for granted, it seems.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:55 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Well, that works for everyone except Native Americans...
and the indigenous people they took North America from. How far back do we go?

Old 10-04-2021, 11:02 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
A bunch of biased links aren't going to convince me, sorry.

I don't want to live where the government controls my life and taxes me at 70%.

America is all about forging your own path and creating your own happiness. It's not hard to do.

You also take many rights and protections from being an American citizen for granted, it seems.
World Data biased source. lol You can search a lot of lists of QOL and the US is never near the top, it is not near the top in freedoms either.

No I do not take my rights and protections for granted, but they are not unique as you seem to think.

A lot of people in the US flex like we are the be all and end all of freedom and rights, and we are not.

And that's fine, we can improve.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-04-2021, 11:10 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
My matrix would include different parameters... not to mention the multi culturalism/multiple ethic groups of the United States.
Canada ranks high and yet 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border. Why? well it's the economic opportunity afforded in the US. Imagine all those countries who rank 'high' on international QOL board had to have a military able to ward off lets say Russia or China? How would their economy be affected and more importantly, their social programs? But alas... they have the US to defend them or at least defer a large portion of taxes for their social programs.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:18 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Sure, but it is wayyyyy more a Democrat "thing" than Republican.

Yes, Vietnam was worse, Kent State etc. etc. I was not alive then but both of my parents, and my 95 year old Grandmother have told me they have never seen this nation "worse" in terms of how divided we are. My Grandmother has lived through WW2, Depression, Korean War, JFK, Vietnam, 9/11, and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out. Everyone older than me with more life experience says it's worse than ever..
I am 82 and disagree with your parents and grandmother. I saw the same things she did. National leaders being shot on tv, one on live tv. Kids getting blown up in church and people who registering folks to vote getting killed.

The civil rights movement, anti Vietnam, the 2nd wave of the feminist movement it was all controversial and split families. During the depression people didn't steal where I lived. Most would work for a meal. And we didn't lock our doors. Now you can't go to the grocery store or leave you car in the drive without some creep

But people had manners then. Maybe that's why your grandmother thinks it's worse now. Most people understood the other's POV and respected it.

Well all those except the ones who bombed and shot people.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I am 82 and disagree with your parents and grandmother. I saw the same things she did. National leaders being shot on tv, one on live tv. Kids getting blown up in church and people who registering folks to vote getting killed.

The civil rights movement, anti Vietnam, the 2nd wave of the feminist movement it was all controversial and split families. During the depression people didn't steal where I lived. Most would work for a meal. And we didn't lock our doors. Now you can't go to the grocery store or leave you car in the drive without some creep

But people had manners then. Maybe that's why your grandmother thinks it's worse now. Most people understood the other's POV and respected it.
I'm not saying which is "worse" or whatever, I'm saying they said they've never seen us so divided. Including Vietnam which even shocks me a little bit. They've never seen each side hate each other more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
World Data biased source. lol You can search a lot of lists of QOL and the US is never near the top, it is not near the top in freedoms either.

No I do not take my rights and protections for granted, but they are not unique as you seem to think.

A lot of people in the US flex like we are the be all and end all of freedom and rights, and we are not.

And that's fine, we can improve.
What other first world country can I walk outside my expensive house and blast off guns to my heart's content? Where can I openly carry a gun in public, or conceal it? Anywhere over the pond there in Europe? You do realize they have all these wonderful precious systems because we pay for their security, right?? I just bought an LX570 that gets 11MPG, could I get that in Europe without paying tons in displacement tax just off the bat? I don't like turbo downsized engines and will never drive one.

I don't care about a bunch of statistics people who place the US wherever, or any of your lists.

The United States is the greatest country in the history of the world, period.

Countries with area size and populations of just one of our 50 states really don't matter like we do.

And I'm not trying to boast about Lexuses, fancy house etc. It's my point. You can have your cake and eat it too here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.