Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2021, 02:26 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Teaching about events is not editorializing on them. Bunker Hill happened. The U.S. Constitution happened. The race riots of Tulsa in 1921 happened. What is wrong is denigrating the former two and teaching that the Tulsa riots characterized all of U.S. history and having a contrary opinion is racist.
Can you point to classrooms where this is being done? Seriously doubt that occurs anywhere. If a curriculum even includes the Tulsa race riots, that’s better than most. As stated, the majority of these people think CRT is teaching anything about the Tulsa race riots. They want their children to have the same biased education many of them had.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:52 AM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
That's how it should work. No enrollment, no money. End of story. Many public schools have far outlived their usefulness and need to die. You don't throw money at failing institutions, you put a stake through them. Public schools don't deserve to exist by nature of being public.
Public schools in Texas are funded by enrollment. The State Constitution also says we will have a system of public education. No on eis going to vote to repeal that clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry, private schools are private for a reason and they won't go away. So for the rest of those who can't get accepted they have to go somewhere, don't they.
Private schools serve a purpose, but limit their enrollments by charging twice what it costs to educate a student in public school. Without public schools, my Dad and his siblings would not have become successful geoscientists, oil refinery supervisors, and a lawyer, they would all have been working in a feed store or some other menial job. Given they almost lost their house in 1940 because my grandmother didn't have $20 to pay proerty taxes, there i sno chance they could have gone to a private school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Teaching about events is not editorializing on them. Bunker Hill happened. The U.S. Constitution happened. The race riots of Tulsa in 1921 happened. What is wrong is denigrating the former two and teaching that the Tulsa riots characterized all of U.S. history and having a contrary opinion is racist.
Is it bad to teach that the riots in Tulsa happened because of racism?

Old 10-26-2021, 08:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have an example of where parents were blocked from voicing their opinions.
Some parents have stated they're afraid to say anything for fear of being labeled a racist. Teachers have said the same. The left has silenced any discussion of certain topics or people risk losing jobs, etc.

AG Merrick Garland is calling parents who protest or 'threaten' school board members domestic terrorists after the National School Board Association sent a letter to Biden. Now what the H does the DOJ have to do with this that they're getting involved? And the word threaten is a very broad term that would include threatening to recall board members - since those are 99% of the threats board members have received. Some have said they've received personal threats of harm, but as far as I've read, none have produced evidence of this. In fact, the wording of the letter was, "threats, harassment, and acts of intimidation at school board meetings." Again, those threats involved recalling board members, which parents have a right to do.

The NSBA has dialed it back after Garland was called to testify, but the message sent to parents is pretty clear. Do not protest or call for board members to resign or they'll be faced with being accused of domestic terrorism.

What has this country become that parents cannot speak their mind freely without the DOJ threatening them?

Old 10-26-2021, 08:31 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Can you point to classrooms where this is being done? Seriously doubt that occurs anywhere. If a curriculum even includes the Tulsa race riots, that’s better than most. As stated, the majority of these people think CRT is teaching anything about the Tulsa race riots. They want their children to have the same biased education many of them had.
My children graduated high school in 2014 and 2015. I would not be welcome in a classroom, being 64. Thus I am stuck with information gleaned from the Internet. I am stating my position for the record.

As it is, the gutting of the post-Civil War Civil Rights Acts was taught in my honors-level senior year class in the 1974-5 Academic Year, Constitutional Law, and I took another honors-level course in Black History the next semester. I don't know what was taught the other students.

I don't consider what I was taught Critical Race Theory and I don't consider being taught about racism to by Critical Race Theory. I have real problems with propagandist teaching of any kind, whether jingoist or CRT. I don't mind students being taught that their rights to express themselves with almost unlimited freedom to be almost unique to our great country and that our country is great on that account. I don't mind people who accomplish to take pride in that.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:30 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Quite the opposite, a small vocal minority is threatening the board members and teachers, no one is blocking parents from voicing their opinions.
Arresting Parents to keep them from speech the School Boards don’t want to hear is a good example. How did you miss this? Sending a letter to the President and DOJ asking them to designate Parents as Domestic Terrorists - this has been widely reported and AG Garland even talked about it in his testimony before Congress.
How did you miss this? School Boards walking out of meetings and shutting down discussions - not as widely reported, but it’s out there.
Quote:
Do you have an example of where parents were blocked from voicing their opinions.
See above
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some parents have stated they're afraid to say anything for fear of being labeled a racist. Teachers have said the same. The left has silenced any discussion of certain topics or people risk losing jobs, etc.

AG Merrick Garland is calling parents who protest or 'threaten' school board members domestic terrorists after the National School Board Association sent a letter to Biden. Now what the H does the DOJ have to do with this that they're getting involved? And the word threaten is a very broad term that would include threatening to recall board members - since those are 99% of the threats board members have received. Some have said they've received personal threats of harm, but as far as I've read, none have produced evidence of this. In fact, the wording of the letter was, "threats, harassment, and acts of intimidation at school board meetings." Again, those threats involved recalling board members, which parents have a right to do.

The NSBA has dialed it back after Garland was called to testify, but the message sent to parents is pretty clear. Do not protest or call for board members to resign or they'll be faced with being accused of domestic terrorism.

What has this country become that parents cannot speak their mind freely without the DOJ threatening them?
New wrinkle disclosed today. Now Parents must sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement to even see Curriculum.

Loudoun County Forces Parents To Sign NDA-Style Form To View CRT-Inspired Curriculum - DailyCaller 10/26/21

Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) is requiring parents to sign a form comparable to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to view a portion of the district’s new curriculum inspired by critical race theory, according to documents reviewed by the Daily Caller.

As part of LCPS’ broader equity agenda, the district spent approximately $7,700 to become a “licensed user” of Second Step Programs, a branch of the left-leaning non-profit organization Committee for Children. According to a copy of the NDA-style form reviewed by the Daily Caller, “eligible parents” at LCPS must sign the document to view the Second Step curriculum.

Curriculum presentations can only be given in person and parents cannot broadcast, download, photograph, or record “in any manner whatsoever.”

According to the district’s agreement with Second Step obtained by the Daily Caller, the curriculum is not subject to traditional Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) laws.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:42 AM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I asked you for a specific example where parents are being silenced, I have not read where they are being shutdown I’m any school district at open meetings. No idea wha the details of that NDA if true but parents can still view their child’s work so it’s not a secret.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:50 AM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Arresting Parents to keep them from speech the School Boards don’t want to hear is a good example. How did you miss this? Sending a letter to the President and DOJ asking them to designate Parents as Domestic Terrorists - this has been widely reported and AG Garland even talked about it in his testimony before Congress.
How did you miss this? School Boards walking out of meetings and shutting down discussions - not as widely reported, but it’s out there.

See above

New wrinkle disclosed today. Now Parents must sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement to even see Curriculum.

Loudoun County Forces Parents To Sign NDA-Style Form To View CRT-Inspired Curriculum - DailyCaller 10/26/21

Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) is requiring parents to sign a form comparable to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to view a portion of the district’s new curriculum inspired by critical race theory, according to documents reviewed by the Daily Caller.

As part of LCPS’ broader equity agenda, the district spent approximately $7,700 to become a “licensed user” of Second Step Programs, a branch of the left-leaning non-profit organization Committee for Children. According to a copy of the NDA-style form reviewed by the Daily Caller, “eligible parents” at LCPS must sign the document to view the Second Step curriculum.

Curriculum presentations can only be given in person and parents cannot broadcast, download, photograph, or record “in any manner whatsoever.”

According to the district’s agreement with Second Step obtained by the Daily Caller, the curriculum is not subject to traditional Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) laws.
Arresting parents who shout and threaten board members and teachers is not silencing free speech. Parents don’t get access to teachers lesson plans but sure access their homework, not a secret.last year instruction was online did they see any CRT teachings. What are the setails of the second step program.

Here is the second step program:

https://sites.google.com/lcps.org/mt...ional-learning

Old 10-26-2021, 09:54 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Public schools in Texas are funded by enrollment. The State Constitution also says we will have a system of public education. No on eis going to vote to repeal that clause.
For as long as I can't enroll my kid in any school I want within the state of Texas and have corresponding funds redirected to said school, and I pay school taxes to my local district despite having no kids enrolled in said school, and having no intention to use said schools, that is NOT the case. What you're saying cannot ever be true without true school choice.

Having a system of public education does NOT preclude competition in that sector. The UT system is a public university by any definition of that word, yet it competes for students (and their money) with SMU, Rice, other state university systems, and out of state private universities.

And seriously, if a public school can't compete with a private school that supposedly charges twice as much (NOT always true ) then that's on the public schools. Your product would have to be absolutely atrocious for people to PAY for an alternative when it's being offered for FREE. I have no sympathy for them if the public school goes bankrupt in a true school choice/free market/user pays scenario.

Last edited by albert648; 10-26-2021 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-26-2021, 10:01 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You were the 3rd person to comment in the thread - the second reply. Who was being disrespectful?

I'm guessing the words "Elitist jerk" in the title caused him/her to retreat to their safe space.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:03 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Quite the opposite, a small vocal minority is threatening the board members and teachers, no one is blocking parents from voicing their opinions.
So you think the school board sent a letter to DOJ to wish them a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies