Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2021, 09:27 PM

32,307 posts, read 15,250,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
You do have a point there. Taxpayers who aren't parents should not be paying school taxes. Taxpayers who are parents who don't have kids in public schools shouldn't be paying for schools either. Schools should be privately funded and operated.

Let the schools figure out how to deliver an acceptable product at a price that the market will bear. The market is an extremely effective disciplinarian.
I would have no problem educating the kids in our country if I didn't have any. Don't we want an educated society regardless if we had kids or not. Our entire country benefits from education. Otherwise, we would just have a bunch of idiots.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:34 PM

4,545 posts, read 1,894,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I would have no problem educating the kids in our country if I didn't have any. Don't we want an educated society regardless if we had kids or not. Our entire country benefits from education. Otherwise, we would just have a bunch of idiots.
We are already a bunch of idiots.

Public schools are glorified refugee camps at this point. Something crazy like 50% of students are only going there so they can receive taxpayer funded meals.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:57 PM

32,307 posts, read 15,250,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
We are already a bunch of idiots.

Public schools are glorified refugee camps at this point. Something crazy like 50% of students are only going there so they can receive taxpayer funded meals.
Public schools are also babysitters, counselors, mentors, disciplinarians....you name it. And yes many kids need meals because their parents are so poor that they can't afford to give them a decent meal. But they do have to show their poverty level in order to get these meals.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:27 AM

1,907 posts, read 674,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Many single people take the stance that since they do not have children, they should not be paying taxes for education. That is a valid argument.

I have no children, but I do have nieces and nephews, and I do not mind paying taxes for their public education. That said, if our government operates on the division of powers principle and yet can still have oversight committees, special counsel, and so on, why not parents allowed to be that oversight committee? That is why so many are angry at this teacher who claimed exclusivity in teaching our children.

When this teacher expressed his contempt for parents, the pendulum swung to one side, the teachers' side. Parents got angry and if they insists on oversight and if they got too nitpicky and begin micromanaging, that is pendulum swinging to the other side, the parents' side. The teachers, as a group, essentially have no one to blame but themselves. Like it or not, that teacher made himself speaker for the whole group, now every parent will be suspicious of their local teachers.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:31 AM

23,822 posts, read 24,216,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
"Questioning" authority is one thing. Dictating what the experts in their fields can/cannot do is something else completely.
The top "expert" in the field of raising my child is ME. Do you understand that? THE PARENTS HAVE ALL THE AUTHORITY.

Unbelievable.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:56 AM

15,060 posts, read 6,224,147 times
1. I take issue with the lack of punctuation in your title. It’s irritating.

2. The parents in VA complaining about CRT being taught are delusional because it is NOT taught. They need to stop letting their politics drive them looney and stop wasting people’s time. However…

3. PARENTS HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE ACTIVE IN THE EDUCATION OF THEIR CHILDREN. If they want to pull their children out of sex-ed, they have every right to do so. The person who wrote this opinion piece needs to take a seat.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:00 AM

41,015 posts, read 18,360,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
You do have a point there. Taxpayers who aren't parents should not be paying school taxes. Taxpayers who are parents who don't have kids in public schools shouldn't be paying for schools either. Schools should be privately funded and operated.

Let the schools figure out how to deliver an acceptable product at a price that the market will bear. The market is an extremely effective disciplinarian.
Bingo. Want kids, pay for them. Nobody but the parents are responsible for raising them. Can’t afford them, don’t have them.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
2. The parents in VA complaining about CRT being taught are delusional because it is NOT taught. They need to stop letting their politics drive them looney and stop wasting people’s time.
Then what is it? You cannot dismiss these anecdotes.

If what the parents received from their children, what they found out for themselves, and what they heard are not CRT, then certainly they are smart enough to recognize these things are not STEM, which is what they were expecting of public schools in the first place.

So tell us, if not CRT, then what is it?

Old 10-25-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And as the example I posted said they were complaining about something that isn't being taught, planned or thought of. Its not my semantics CRT is the red flag that the far right is waving as a call to arms over a multitude of things. Where are the lessons you mention being taught?
Do YOU teach Critical Race Theory at the college level? I will go out on a limb and say 'Not'.

Do YOU teach Biology at the college level? I will also go out on a limb and say 'Not'.

If someone say to you that Man evolved from Apes, you do not need a degree in Biology to counter that is not true and that the current fossil evidence show Man evolved in a separate branch.

You cannot dismiss the anecdotes parents received from their children and from their own research. Many of these parents are also educated in their own rights. They do not need to know the details of CRT to see that what their children brought home is not STEM. And if not STEM, then what is it? Absence that alternate label, the parents will use CRT.

So far, Critical Race Theory proponents have confined themselves to friendly venues such as CNN and MSNBC to defend CRT. Why? Because they do not have the answer for what parents found down at the elementary school level. They are being dishonest. Either they do not have any ideas or they know they got busted for trying to divide the American people at our most vulnerable point: the children.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:22 AM

15,060 posts, read 6,224,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Then what is it? You cannot dismiss these anecdotes.

If what the parents received from their children, what they found out for themselves, and what they heard are not CRT, then certainly they are smart enough to recognize these things are not STEM, which is what they were expecting of public schools in the first place.

So tell us, if not CRT, then what is it?
It’s called HISTORY. Stop whining about parts of history you don’t like. It is not CRT. CRT is found in colleges and universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies