Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 07:38 PM

4,570 posts, read 2,291,576 times

Advertisements

I voted for Trump twice and I still believe that the election was stolen from him, BUT, we cannot continue in this manner. I hate what democrats, democrat-like republicans and far right have done to this country. I need to digest everything that you propose but on first review - I'm in. I do not agree with raising taxes as the filthy rich use loopholes to avoid paying taxes and it falls on the middle class. The middle class is dying. This middle class needs help right away.

Looking for to more joining in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 07:51 PM

25,903 posts, read 12,935,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I voted for Trump twice and I still believe that the election was stolen from him, BUT, we cannot continue in this manner. I hate what democrats, democrat-like republicans and far right have done to this country. I need to digest everything that you propose but on first review - I'm in. I do not agree with raising taxes as the filthy rich use loopholes to avoid paying taxes and it falls on the middle class. The middle class is dying. This middle class needs help right away.

Looking for to more joining in.
You are part of the solution. Please join us in a continuing dialogue to promote unity amongst the 60% and gain viral status to spread the word of our unity.

We CAN come together and slay those who are dividing us for their own personal gain.

Together, we can crush the minorities that now divide, & own us.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:03 PM

17,474 posts, read 9,299,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Sounds ok. Who is we?
The OP is a long time poster …. Never a “moderate”.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:07 PM

6,113 posts, read 2,889,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I'm in favor of a rational solution to the illegal immigration issue. I don't think that a big, expensive, and evadable wall at the southern border is a workable solution.
To be fair, a border wall is much less expensive than what illegals cost the government each year. And, the Border Patrol supports the idea of a border wall. So, I think it's worth it. I trust the opinion of the people who actually have to deal with the problem on a daily basis.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:11 PM

6,113 posts, read 2,889,675 times
As a Trump Supporter and a Trump voter in 2020, I would support this. I could not stand the reckless spending during the Trump years, but the Democrats did have the House for the last two years, so I can't blame the Republicans or President Trump, solely. But, I knew that if President Biden and the Democratic Party had total control, the spending would be significantly worse. So far, I have been proven right.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:23 PM

1,579 posts, read 955,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
You are showing abilities to compromise, so welcome to our team! You are a moderate.

You, like me, are saveable. Yes, I can set aside ALL social issues, as they are now, to tackle larger problems that endanger our existence...mostly of a financial nature. Social issues are Junior Varsity in the grand scheme of things.

I extend my hand to you. I will work out compromises on everything you list above. We will reach a workable compromise, so the most important issues can be resolved. Worse case scenario, we postpone the social issues until a later date, to save America.

If our economy fails, all Americans will see very clearly, that social issues are relatively obscure.

I have no issue with most of your ideas, at least on the surface (I'd have to think about some of them and read more). And I really like the idea of setting aside social issues... for the most part, those are the issues that tug at people's emotions (left and right) and are what's used to manipulate voters (usually with fear or anger). In the meantime, the more important issues, the economic problems are being ignored because they are "boring." I don't know how well that would work though. I just can't see people letting go of the emotional tug of these issues or politicians setting aside the things they can use to trigger people into to voting for them.

I've always thought of myself as a centrist, moderate. Although in another, recent thread I called myself nearly apolitical (because I really don't have strong political feelings). On social issues, I tend to be able to see both sides (even if I favor one side on all the issues, I can empathize with and understand the other side). And I tend to vote for the most moderate candidates who seem to be thoughtful and capable of doing the job. It doesn't matter to me if they have an R, D, or any other letter after their name. But it's been getting harder and harder for me to vote (at least in national elections). The candidates I like don't last through the primaries (they are too moderate) and the ones that do end up on the ballot aren't ones I like and I end up voting for the lesser of two bad choices.

I've actually been toying with the idea of not voting anymore in national elections. But I don't think I can do that. I've never missed an election since I turned 18. But sometimes voting seems so ineffective.

Edited to add: I really wish both parties would put forth younger candidates. Maybe it's about time to have a GenX-aged president. Someone old enough to have the wisdom needed, but still young enough to be quick on his or her feet (mentally). I could say the same for the leaders in Congress too.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 10-14-2021 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 PM

8,432 posts, read 7,445,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
To be fair, a border wall is much less expensive than what illegals cost the government each year. And, the Border Patrol supports the idea of a border wall. So, I think it's worth it. I trust the opinion of the people who actually have to deal with the problem on a daily basis.
I don't want to drag your thread into a discussion about illegal immigration, but I thought that at least I would let you know my opinion.

I've crunched some numbers concerning the cost of the wall, and I don't believe that the wall will be as inexpensive as Trump made it out to be. He originally claimed it would be $8 billion, but construction costs alone are looking more like $40 billion, not to mention the ongoing maintenance and staffing costs.

I don't think that the claimed costs of undocumented workers are anywhere close to the $100 billion cited by groups such as FAIR. I would agree that the real cost of undocumented workers is probably heavier on the state and local governments in the form of school expenses and emergency medical care than on the federal government.

I do think that the solution would be to address undocumented workers at the point of employment. Corporations are currently not penalized for hiring undocumented workers, it's too easy for these workers to obtain forged documentation, and we do need to acknowledge that the US economy is dependent on said workers.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,850 times
Considering that republican party is anti union, anti universal healthcare, wants to weaken safety nets and so forth...I am no fan of the woke left but I still have too many issues with the platform of the republican party to join them on the national level.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:36 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,424,843 times
I think the plan is reasonable. If nothing else, it's good enough to get some unity started.

I would vote for a Republican who fully supported it, if that person wasn't a Trump clone.

Trying to find someone who isn't is going to be a tough proposition, as anyone who defies the Trumpists are branded RINOs and are driven out of the party leadership.

Since the Republican state central committees are the ones who vet the candidates, the chances of getting an anti-Trumper on the primary ballot is a super hard thing to undertake with any hopes of success.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:44 AM

63,040 posts, read 29,243,563 times
Although, there are those willing to jump the Democrat ship today there will still be certain groups and individuals who will not no matter what. Most blacks will still vote Democrat because of the social programs that the Democrats promise and their perceived racism on the part of the GOP. Most Hispanics will continue to vote Democrat because they are the ones promising amnesty and open borders for their ethnic group and the GOP wants the opposite. So there you have it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies