Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 07:42 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,424,417 times

Advertisements

If you live more than 50 miles away from liberal areas/major cities, is your life very much affected by liberal policies? Or does your state mainly leave your area alone? (This was prompted by another thread in which people say they live their lives the way they want, regardless of such things as proposed mandates.)

So I am wondering to what degree conservative pockets in -- I would think -- more rural areas in California, for example, are free to ignore liberal dictates regarding education, mask-wearing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 07:48 AM

19,097 posts, read 27,679,377 times
This is ignored on personal level to extent of one having capacity to do so. For example, working from home and not being dependent on public eateries. Or, having exemption. Pretty much, being able to do without what is being blocked. How long such opportunity will be available, that is unknown as we got governor mandate followed by the largest county mandate. They, pretty much, do as they please. So who knows. Yet again, we have some rural areas that simply gave them finger. How that will be dealt with will be shown in the future as it is very easy for same governor or county to cut supply chain to those areas. No one really knows, hopw to farm with horse and shovel. Tractors are not useful without diesel.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:03 AM

17,346 posts, read 12,301,200 times
Living at the rural/suburban divide in WA state was pretty sweet. Low taxes and cheap utilities but also great government services and some of the best roads I've ever encountered. None of the extremes of Seattle or Portland. People mostly kept their politics to themselves and got along. Until Trump anyway where suddenly obnoxious folks were waving Trump flags on street corners and flying them from their trucks and protesting something every day. Really ruined the neutral atmosphere where everyone just got along.

A mask mandate isn't conservative or liberal. Silly it's been politicized as such.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:16 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,459,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If you live more than 50 miles away from liberal areas/major cities, is your life very much affected by liberal policies? Or does your state mainly leave your area alone? (This was prompted by another thread in which people say they live their lives the way they want, regardless of such things as proposed mandates.)

So I am wondering to what degree conservative pockets in -- I would think -- more rural areas in California, for example, are free to ignore liberal dictates regarding education, mask-wearing, etc.

We are 65 miles from the greater Bay Area. Considered rural. However? It’s a very Democratic county.

Superb congressional representation and mandates are working.

Yes, there are conservatives here but they are still outnumbered. We’ve gone to places where they told us we didn’t need masks - we keep them on, thank you. We have neighbors who are very obviously conservative/republican/Trump supporters. They mostly keep their mouths shut.

This would not be the case in rural areas in Utah where we moved from. Oh - and btw - their death rates there are climbing astronomically. Mandates work.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:19 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,424,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Living at the rural/suburban divide in WA state was pretty sweet. Low taxes and cheap utilities but also great government services and some of the best roads I've ever encountered. None of the extremes of Seattle or Portland. People mostly kept their politics to themselves and got along. Until Trump anyway where suddenly obnoxious folks were waving Trump flags on street corners and flying them from their trucks and protesting something every day. Really ruined the neutral atmosphere where everyone just got along.

A mask mandate isn't conservative or liberal. Silly it's been politicized as such.
Yes, you are right, of course -- although it has been my observation* that a much greater percentage of liberal posters are in favor of the mask mandates than conservatives are.

*Meaning that I acknowledge that this might actually be not correct.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:23 AM

30,519 posts, read 19,271,318 times
We lived for 26 years in a conservative/moderate area of Washington state and were never bothered by liberal ideology (other than our kids schools mandates) for most of that time. Since the pandemic started, we've seen more and more anti-freedom initiatives enacted as well as our property taxes jumping and nearly doubling in 4 years.

The lack of policing during CHAZ, overreach of the Goveror and state during the pandemic and more and more radical ideas getting enacted led us to give up and move to a more moderate state of Arizona 10 months ago. Since we moved, one son has moved his family to Phoenix and the other is considering doing the same.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:30 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,244,914 times
The "pockets" I encounter are my own - the Dem/libs keep reaching in wanting more!

The woke/lib/Dem dumpster fire that is CA is forever wanting more, more, and more of my money for woke free stuff.

But there are other sicknesses that are seeping in; like the woke CRT indoctrination of Poway and San Diego Unified school districts. This will ensure a control narrative for more policies needing money and divisiveness.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:35 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,414,939 times
I am a conservative living in a conservative state. I had an interesting conversation with a dear friend who is very liberal and from a very liberal state.

they were talking about going back home and talking with their friends there (also very liberal in a very liberal state). They are often asked "how do you live those terrible conservatives???"

WE are clearly the tolerant ones. Libs from where my friend is from are just horrible humans who will not tolerate any diversity of thought.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:54 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,495,013 times
We recently returned home from a week long camping trip to Eastern Washington. We spoke with people in Sprague, Harrington, Wilbur, Twisp and other small towns. They are frustrated that western Washington politics and legislation enacted in Olympia are the antithesis of their ideals and way of life. There were no blue tarp folks in the campgrounds and BLM land where we stayed. We wandered around the reviving small town of Harrington and felt very safe. No panhandlers or tents on sidewalks. The two residents at their city park couldn’t understand the homeless epidemic west of the Cascades. The streets were clean and no needles or encampments in the park. The park had clean restrooms and an actual tall old fashioned metal slide that were removed from our parks years ago.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:58 AM

20,144 posts, read 20,937,684 times
The problem is, the blue states dictate your life.
NY for example, is mostly red/conservative by land mass.
However, the majority of the state population is contained to the NYC metro area/burbs, even though it’s a small fraction of geographical area. It’s a marble in a one gallon jug.
But those buttholes run the entire state. What’s good for the city scumbags is not always, and more often, not good for the rest of the state which is primarily rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies