Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 07:03 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’s coming for sure. 100%.
If you don’t see it you are a moron.
Or loaded with a stash of money and don’t care either way.
It’s unfolding in real time right in front of our eyes. But idiots still believe “meh everything will be alright”.
If it’s an economic collapse a boatload of money is going to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 07:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Here are a few more optimistic outlooks. Not sure I buy into their full predictions but just in case you need to counter the doom and gloom forecasts some of you are feeling.....

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/09/the-...ould-last.html
The economy is on the cusp of a major boom and economists believe it could last

https://fortune.com/2021/07/29/us-ec...the%20pandemic.
For all of 2021, the economy is expected to expand perhaps as much as 7%. If so, that would be the strongest calendar-year growth since 1984. And it would mark a sharp reversal from last year’s 3.4% economic contraction — the worst in 74 years — as a result of the pandemic.

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insi...-analysis.html
Just when it seemed that the pandemic was waning, the Delta variant popped up. The good news is that it’s unlikely to derail the economy as its predecessor did earlier; the even better news is that economic fundamentals continue to remain strong.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:04 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’s coming for sure. 100%.
If you don’t see it you are a moron.
Or loaded with a stash of money and don’t care either way.
It’s unfolding in real time right in front of our eyes. But idiots still believe “meh everything will be alright”.
I am hearing talk about people pulling their money out of the banks.. they don't trust the IRS and could seize monies for false allegations because they can go back as far as they want. They do not trust Biden or his ideas of looking into everyone's bank accounts. This is for sure against the Constitution and is very Totalitarian 1984 .

Old 10-16-2021, 07:05 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Economists have been predicting a recession before the pandemic.

I would have argued the same before the pandemic.

BUT -- did we get forced into that recession last year.

The inflation is being caused by a surge in demand. People want to spend money -- they want the goods -- all the goods. But the infrastructure to deliver those goods is struggling to keep up.

Back up of shipments to the USA because of weather, the Suez Canal blockage, labor issues globally caused by the pandemic,

Then here -- a shortage of truck drivers that was there BEFORE the pandemic means the record breaking volume of goods being delivered to ports can't be delivered to the distribution centers in a timely manner.

So people are willing to pay more because they just want the stuff.

If we can fix the supply chain issues -- people get their stuff -- will we see a recession?
The state of California has implemented regs on truckers that went into effect in 2020 that has greatly reduced trucking capacity. The regs have decimated independent truckers, who have mostly moved out of state....just over the state line, where they now pick up their loads.

California Longshoreman unions are another cause of the pile ups. They refused to add shifts and hours until the Feds forced them to. Now, they work as slow as possible, to insure themselves a steady slow stream of work.

Industry is shifting import loads elsewhere, but that takes a lot of time.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
We don't hear much about the Stock Market from the righties lately. I wonder why that is??
The fed is now going to taper off the millions and millions that the propped up the stock market with. They will withdraw the money because of high inflation and a huge bubble in the stock market. It is all quantitive easing that is holding our economy up .

Too much money out there and the dollar is losing its value.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:10 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Let's continue with Bidenomics and find out...
I don't think people recognize that this is the biggest shift in how we have lived in most of our lifetimes.

Police, healthcare workers, airline employees....etc. are refusing to take a vaccine and they are walking off the job or being fired. I think we are going to see backups at airports like we have never seen before. I think we are going to have to wait to get elective healthcare and maybe even essential healthcare.

People are relocating in droves. They can't get workers for the simplest of things right now.

We'll see. I hope I am wrong. I really do.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:11 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am hearing talk about people pulling their money out of the banks.. they don't trust the IRS and could seize monies for false allegations because they can go back as far as they want. They do not trust Biden or his ideas of looking into everyone's bank accounts. This is for sure against the Constitution and is very Totalitarian 1984 .
I’m one of them.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:13 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The stash of money had better not be U.S. dollars or stocks, bonds, & other paper investments. If a "free-fall economic collapse" occurs, this paper will become worthless really fast.

You'll want to be debt free, have a paid-off roof over your head, a stockpile of silver/gold coins in small denominations ($50 optimal), a stockpile of food, & ways to protect it all.

The top 1% have offshore bank accounts & homes to escape to. They'll vanish overnight.
Basically yeah, I was alluding to the 1% and the uber wealthy.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:13 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Your first two links are outdated, and do not take into account the dive in consumer confidence, which many say is the #1 economic forecasting metric. It peaked in April, & has declined since, and the past 3 months have been dismal.

The last link fails to mention this #1 metric...consumer confidence. It also grossly understates how bad inflation is and especially energy related inflation which impacts prices/inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here are a few more optimistic outlooks. Not sure I buy into their full predictions but just in case you need to counter the doom and gloom forecasts some of you are feeling.....

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/09/the-...ould-last.html
The economy is on the cusp of a major boom and economists believe it could last

https://fortune.com/2021/07/29/us-ec...the%20pandemic.
For all of 2021, the economy is expected to expand perhaps as much as 7%. If so, that would be the strongest calendar-year growth since 1984. And it would mark a sharp reversal from last year’s 3.4% economic contraction — the worst in 74 years — as a result of the pandemic.

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insi...-analysis.html
Just when it seemed that the pandemic was waning, the Delta variant popped up. The good news is that it’s unlikely to derail the economy as its predecessor did earlier; the even better news is that economic fundamentals continue to remain strong.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The state of California has implemented regs on truckers that went into effect in 2020 that has greatly reduced trucking capacity. The regs have decimated independent truckers, who have mostly moved out of state....just over the state line, where they now pick up their loads.

California Longshoreman unions are another cause of the pile ups. They refused to add shifts and hours until the Feds forced them to. Now, they work as slow as possible, to insure themselves a steady slow stream of work.

Industry is shifting import loads elsewhere, but that takes a lot of time.
It is getting very Orwellian 1984 in the trucking industry. They watch each truck and know where the driver is. They have to stop driving after 10 hours. They are being treated like robots. It is all done electronically now. Their log books , their trips, the mileage. No freedoms for the truckers. Too much regulation and owner operators are now having to deal with high diesel costs to make the trips and cutting into any profit they can make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies