Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 06:44 PM

15,885 posts, read 21,495,440 times

Advertisements

I haven't noticed prices going up - I buy most of my veggies from the farmer's market or directly from local farms, and only have to get grains, tofu, prepared dairy (yogurt and cheese), and prepared foods from the supermarket. There aren't any shortages in my area that I've noticed and prices are high but no higher than they've been since the start of the pandemic. We're entering into the in-between time between when farmer's markets close up shop for the season and winter markets (with root veggies, veggies stored from the fall/summer, and stuff grown in greenhouses) so I might notice it a bit more once I run through the corn from over the summer that I froze and all the squashes I have on hand now.

I don't buy meat regularly and I haven't noticed fish up too much around me.

Tonight during my Target run, I didn't notice any empty shelves. The only thing that was noticeably more expensive were sheets.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:48 PM

22,520 posts, read 12,072,114 times
Yup. We're empty nesters and have noticed how high our grocery bills are these days.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:53 PM

33,595 posts, read 18,227,558 times
I see prices going up constantly. It is not a 5% hike. It is more like a 25 or 35% hike in prices. Many items over $5 .

Old 10-15-2021, 06:53 PM

46,374 posts, read 27,217,824 times
Even on Military bases (Commissary) it's going up, and even though my wife does the shopping I've clearly noticed a difference in the price and what she brings home to the price and what she brought home a several months ago, through our bank account.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:54 PM

33,595 posts, read 18,227,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I haven't noticed prices going up - I buy most of my veggies from the farmer's market or directly from local farms, and only have to get grains, tofu, prepared dairy (yogurt and cheese), and prepared foods from the supermarket. There aren't any shortages in my area that I've noticed and prices are high but no higher than they've been since the start of the pandemic. We're entering into the in-between time between when farmer's markets close up shop for the season and winter markets (with root veggies, veggies stored from the fall/summer, and stuff grown in greenhouses) so I might notice it a bit more once I run through the corn from over the summer that I froze and all the squashes I have on hand now.

I don't buy meat regularly and I haven't noticed fish up too much around me.

Tonight during my Target run, I didn't notice any empty shelves. The only thing that was noticeably more expensive were sheets.
The price of cotton is up by 30%.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:07 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,674,565 times
In the grocery store, just walking down the aisles of "dry goods", breakfast cereal, chips, crackers, etc., I see that everything that not that long ago that was about $3 is now about $5.

Some of the prices are truly laughable. We won't pay stupid prices. They can keep it on the shelf.

I have always had to budget mightily, and always am able to get creative and find ways to feed us by just being creative, and staying flexible about what I cook. Our meals are based on what is a good deal at the moment.

They must be throwing massive amounts of food away that sits and remains unsold.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:14 PM

6,750 posts, read 4,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, groceries have gone up considerably.

It has nothing to do with Biden's economic policies. But you can believe that if you like. Or why so many container ships are sitting off shore waiting to be offloaded. Again, It has nothing to do with Biden.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:28 PM

18,162 posts, read 15,669,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Personally I’m not sure The wife handles the grocery shopping in the family. Though the other day she was complaining about the cost of steak.
Oh man, beef is just outrageous. And chicken ain't far behind. Pork is still somewhat sane but I can only take so much pork. Nothing wrong with good pork chops but they aren't a perfectly done medium rare, pinkish on the outside red in the middle, top sirloin. That cut, which is not the most expensive by any stretch is going for 17 bucks a pound now. $7.00for a gallon of milk $3.50 for a can of Campbells condensed soup won't even go there with seafood.

Yeah, my shopping habits are changed a bunch. Been stocking up at the dollar store (Dollar Tree) on stuff like tinned meats, Spam, Tuna, Vienna Sausages, ham, oysters and such, coffee, snack stuff (crackers and such) soup, juiceOTC medications, rice , beans etc etc. Their prices haven't gone up. I asked the girl there yesterday when they were going to have to hike prices and she told me this stoe os only going up on certain things. Their food section will remain the same.

Still I'm stocking up on things.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:42 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,095,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
It has nothing to do with Biden's economic policies. But you can believe that if you like. Or why so many container ships are sitting off shore waiting to be offloaded. Again, It has nothing to do with Biden.
The poster you were responding to did not even mention Biden. Touchy, touchy.

But to be fair, equal blame goes to Democrats all over the country.

(P.S.: you are wrong).

Old 10-15-2021, 07:43 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,193,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodthebadtheugly View Post
personally i’m not sure the wife handles the grocery shopping in the family. Though the other day she was complaining about the cost of steak.
yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies