Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 04:21 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's 10 hrs per day - every day including weekends. That sounds excessive for a normal schedule.
Teaching isn’t a normal schedule. With so many teachers not coming back teachers no longer have planning periods because they have to cover other classes.

A normal day is almost 12 hours when you factor in grading, planning and admin work.

Then she usually spends at least 10 hours on the weekend prepping for the following week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 04:22 PM

930 posts, read 333,948 times
American education has been ruined by the introduction of public sector unions. The PISA score numbers show it. We spend more than almost any on education, but get mediocre results.

FDR, godfather of union labor law, said that unionism should not be applied to the public sector. The reason is that public sector unions, unlike the private sector, create a massive conflict of interest. The public sector unions fund the politicians who control their contracts. Hence the contracts are written to strip accountability.

That's how we end up with stories like the one cited by OP, or like the 'Rubber Room' story from NYC schools.

A lot of the problems with policing can also be traced to public sector unionization.

Old 10-21-2021, 04:37 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Virginia is too woke for its own good.

Old 10-21-2021, 04:39 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
They are already getting off November 2nd for Election Day. I mean you have to make sure that the teachers have an entire day to go out and vote their "democratic" choices. While other people actually take the few minutes before or after work.
The schools are closed because they are the polling locations and the locations they use for the voters are also needed to run a regular school day. Add to it the security concerns over so many coming and going on campus and you have an unsafe situation for the students.

Now before you think the teachers are doing an all-day brunch with champagne, election day is normally parent-teacher conferences and that can be such a pleasure...

I'm sure the teachers will be voting before/after work just like everyone else and for whoever they like because we still have more than 1 party to choose from even though you think otherwise.

Old 10-21-2021, 04:42 PM

500 posts, read 319,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You guys have no clue.

My wife is a teacher and they are understaffed and overworked. Stress levels are high and kids are also stressed.

Everyone loved to bring up summers off but teachers work 70 hours a week at minimum due to grading, meetings and parents who expect their kids to get A’s even when they don’t complete assignments.
I call BS on this! Major bull****t.

Old 10-21-2021, 04:47 PM

930 posts, read 333,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
I call BS on this! Major bull****t.
Yes, no self-respecting public sector union would allow members to be treated this way. If they really did, members would soon vote out the union leadership.

What good is a scam if the scammers end up working 70 hour weeks under horrible working conditions?

Old 10-21-2021, 04:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,864,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You guys have no clue.

My wife is a teacher and they are understaffed and overworked. Stress levels are high and kids are also stressed.

Everyone loved to bring up summers off but teachers work 70 hours a week at minimum due to grading, meetings and parents who expect their kids to get A’s even when they don’t complete assignments.
Boo hoo, my job is hard too.

I couldn’t care less about the “plight” of some government parasite who indoctrinates children.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:23 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The schools are closed because they are the polling locations and the locations they use for the voters are also needed to run a regular school day. Add to it the security concerns over so many coming and going on campus and you have an unsafe situation for the students.

Now before you think the teachers are doing an all-day brunch with champagne, election day is normally parent-teacher conferences and that can be such a pleasure...

I'm sure the teachers will be voting before/after work just like everyone else and for whoever they like because we still have more than 1 party to choose from even though you think otherwise.
Actually, I have a few family members and friends that were/are teachers and I know what they go through. I wouldn't do this job in the current environment for just about any amount of money. I am just giving you based on this and, IMO these teachers seem to be "milking it".

If the schools are closed for voting, what are the teachers doing? Just hanging around the school? Because unless that is the case there is no "before or after work". Perhaps VA schools are different, but we had schools here that were polling places. You didn't have hundreds or even a few people running around campus. The voting location was always in the Admin or a Multi-Purpose Room that would have direct access to outside of campus without having to walk through. So security wasn't an issue.

Teachers Unions almost exclusively vote Democrat...of course, a teacher "can" vote for whoever. But it was highly discouraged to the point where the teachers I knew who did not vote that way would just say they decided to vote for the democratic candidate so they wouldn't have to deal with it.

Oh and yes they did teacher conferences, but never got to do it on a day school wasn't in session. They had to do conferences before and after school, in addition to teaching for the day. This would go on for several days, usually a week. Near the end, I believe they went to having conferences for 3 days and giving the students a minimum day those days.

They never got Dewali off, instead, they are reprimanded if they dare even just used the word Christmas.

They never got a "mental health" day, that was called "summer break".

Old 10-21-2021, 05:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Trumpers clamoring for government schools to remain open.

Nuttin’ new there.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Boo hoo, my job is hard too.

I couldn’t care less about the “plight” of some government parasite who indoctrinates children.
Yet you voted for Trump who had a fit in August 2020 demanding that government schools open in person to commence with the brainwashing.

The cognitive dissonance must give y’all a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies