Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 04:48 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times

Advertisements

Fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 05:08 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm not the one who made that comment, but here you go:

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...alary-by-State
Now post a link to the ridiculous cost of living in liberal cities/states.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 10-26-2021 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 05:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
They'll lose a LOT more than $5k/year via salary reduction by working in Florida.
Coming from Chicago, where property taxes, gasoline and other items are priced MUCH higher, I think they'll be fine.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
They'll lose a LOT more than $5k/year via salary reduction by working in Florida.
Housing costs down here are really out of whack with salaries- Miami is one of the least affordable palaces to live and work in the country and Orlando’s not far behind. With that typical $41K/year cop salary, you’re now talking $1500-2000/month for a two bedroom apartment or townhouse.

I’ve known cops down here who lived in trailer parks for the first five or so years of their career because that’s what they could afford.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:21 PM

4,549 posts, read 2,272,518 times
Quote:
Florida has always had its share of "crazy" news stories (maybe the warm climate attracting wayward types?), but for the most part, it never attracted the type of extremism compared to what has happened lately, particularly in its politics.

It used to be a fairly moderate state back in the late 20th century. It was sort of conservative in the rural areas and sort of liberal along the I-95 corridor in Southeast Florida, but not the dystopian craphole that defies good sense, which is what it has become lately.

Why would you want to use taxpayer dollars to encourage unvaccinated police to move from out of state? These are public servants who are going to be in close contact with not just the "undesirables" (who are human too, as much as they've screwed up), but people in traffic matters, and exposing your citizens to more transmissible illness by someone who is not vaccinated? That is so asinine it doesn't even make sense coming from someone like DeSantis. This guy needs to be recalled.

I love how people that don’t even live in this state think they know how this state is. Dream on if you think he would be recalled. We love our freedom. DeSantis is the best governor we’ve ever had so mind your own business.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Housing costs down here are really out of whack with salaries- Miami is one of the least affordable palaces to live and work in the country and Orlando’s not far behind. With that typical $41K/year cop salary, you’re now talking $1500-2000/month for a two bedroom apartment or townhouse.

I’ve known cops down here who lived in trailer parks for the first five or so years of their career because that’s what they could afford.
You'd be in a studio or a very small one-bedroom in Chicago for that rent.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I love how people that don’t even live in this state think they know how this state is. Dream on if you think he would be recalled. We love our freedom. DeSantis is the best governor we’ve ever had so mind your own business.
Bingo

They simply don’t like DeSantis, think he’s a big meanie, and criticize most everything he does/tries to do.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:27 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Florida has always had its share of "crazy" news stories (maybe the warm climate attracting wayward types?), but for the most part, it never attracted the type of extremism compared to what has happened lately, particularly in its politics.

It used to be a fairly moderate state back in the late 20th century. It was sort of conservative in the rural areas and sort of liberal along the I-95 corridor in Southeast Florida, but not the dystopian craphole that defies good sense, which is what it has become lately.

Why would you want to use taxpayer dollars to encourage unvaccinated police to move from out of state? These are public servants who are going to be in close contact with not just the "undesirables" (who are human too, as much as they've screwed up), but people in traffic matters, and exposing your citizens to more transmissible illness by someone who is not vaccinated? That is so asinine it doesn't even make sense coming from someone like DeSantis. This guy needs to be recalled.
I'm not sure I get what you're saying? Are you worried for the safety of the officers? I wouldn't worry about them. Firstly, it's their choice and secondly, they've probably already had covid, having had to face the public in their line of duty during the early stags of the pandemic. They'll be good. But thanks for caring.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:28 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

They'd be homeless in San Francisco or have to commute 3 hours each way from Monterey.

Also supposedly a cop with some experience elsewhere wouldn't be starting at the bottom of the payscale. They wouldn't be able to afford Brickell the same way they can't afford Streeterville in Chicago.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:33 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
This link has a bit of a different take on the salaries in Florida:

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...icer-salary/fl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies