Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 12:09 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times

Advertisements

I'm just gonna keep dropping this in here so drive-bys see it...

That article (CNN / OP) is wrong. It's simply incorrect. Bad journalism. Fake news, if you must. But wrong.

Jen Christensen has a stellar resume - agree or disagree with her, she is no dummy - so this is really inexcusable - but I'll stop short of saying it's intentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 12:42 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber rain View Post
NO, people who abused alcohol caused the spike.
Yup, The lockdowns and aptmosphere around the virus might have accelerated those patient's fate but they were already on that road or their lifestyle, attitude, beliefs etc would have had a liver transplant on their itinerary eventually.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:21 AM

CNN mildly updated the article to remove one of the errors.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/26/healt...udy/index.html

but one other HUGE error remains:

32,320 liver transplants were performed due to alcoholic hepatitis.

Absolutely UNTRUE. A blatant lie. The actual number due to AH was something like 700 - not 32,320.

This is the type of stuff that has led to where we are today - people who believe the weirdest things about COVID, no matter whose team your on. Many - MANY - people trust CNN, and our now spreading these (minor) lies. How many other "lies" do you think they've shared from CNN and other sources (it's FOX too)? Please - people - this is a reporting error - a mistake - an oversight - or maybe a lie - a spin - or whatever - but whatever you call it - it isn't true.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:07 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Lockdowns caused:
- More drug and alcohlol abuse leading to death
- More suicides
- More violence
- Killed businesses
- Made people fatter and more prone to die from covid and other causes
- Made millions depressed

If we did gain anything from the lockdowns in lowering covid deaths, it caused at least 10 fold more deaths than it saved...Sweden got it right.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:09 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Lockdowns caused:
- More drug and alcohlol abuse leading to death
- More suicides
- More violence
- Killed businesses
- Made people fatter and more prone to die from covid and other causes
- Made millions depressed

If we did gain anything from the lockdowns in lowering covid deaths, it caused at least 10 fold more deaths than it saved...Sweden got it right.
I lost weight. Go figure.

And I started a new business.

So lockdowns caused *at least* 7 million excess deaths? I'm surprised no one noticed that.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:15 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I lost weight. Go figure.

And I started a new business.

So lockdowns caused *at least* 7 million excess deaths? I'm surprised no one noticed that.

Not very good at math or doing math problems I see. I said the lives saved by the lockdowns, which were minimal as Sweden showed how many people that died with no lockdowns, versus the lives lost through drug and alcohol abuse, suicide, overweight and unhealthy because the gyms were closed. So for every life the lockdowns saved, it cost 10.

I also lost weight and spent a lot of money helping family and friends that lost their jobs because of the lockdowns.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:32 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Every day we see new reasons for excess deaths during the "pandemic". From large increases in homicides to overdose deaths to alcohol abuse deaths to delayed surgeries and checkups.

A 50 percent spike in liver transplant patients is insane:
Um, newsflash: Alcoholics are at the bottom of the transplant list and are denied a transplant even when one is available unless they meet certain specific criteria which is usually alcohol-free for at least 3 years.

It's nothing more than CNN propaganda and disinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's odd. Wouldn't it take time for liver damage...it doesn't happen in days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well it's been 1.5 years and some places had greater and stricter lockdowns.
Um, no, it takes way, way more than 1.5 years. It takes about 10 years of extremely heavy alcohol consumption for the onset of cirrhosis.

Let's try to sort through the propaganda and disinformation spewed by the Göbbels News Network.

The pandemic caused a delay in all surgeries performed by hospitals.

The Göbbels News Network cherry-picked its data. All elective surgeries are on again, so all elective surgeries have, um, you know, "spiked."

All transplants have "spiked" too, but liver transplants are far more common the heart, lung, kidney, bone marrow transplants.

More than that, there's the "shocking angle" and that is alcohol isn't associated with heart, lung, kidney transplants, but it is associated with liver transplants.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:41 AM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Joe Biden caused me to drink. Can I sue him?

Old 10-29-2021, 12:15 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
What I wonder though, for a liver to fail, it takes more than just a year of alcohol abuse.

But yes, people with mental problems have probably become even worse. I also heard that domestic violence increased a lot. I don't like people's weakness. I don't consider a lockdown any excuse for destructive behavior. People are so spoiled, so many seem to go nuts as soon as they are no longer able to continue their excessive lives or have to make sacrifices.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:36 PM

Article (CNN) is wrong. It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies