Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 08:18 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They will always have contact with others in prisons. Courts have set limits on solitary confinement.
Besides, the killer did not have the right to end a life. What if they killed one of your kids or another family member of yours?
I wouldn’t call the police and if it came to it I’d take a trial by my peers.

Like I said earlier; it’s not that I don’t believe in an eye for an eye.

I do not believe in the right of the state to take a citizens life. Period. Save the what if’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 10:42 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I wouldn’t call the police and if it came to it I’d take a trial by my peers.

Like I said earlier; it’s not that I don’t believe in an eye for an eye.

I do not believe in the right of the state to take a citizens life. Period. Save the what if’s.
So you don't think that John Wayne Gacy should have been executed after he admitted the torture and murder of 33 people?

Old 10-28-2021, 10:55 AM

11,481 posts, read 6,008,999 times
I agree that an armed populace is the best deterrent.

I disagree that a justification for abolishing capital punishment is the ever-decreasing, miniscule chance of someone innocent being tried, convicted, sentenced to death, and having his cased reviewed for 20 some years, and then actually executed. Especially with DNA and all of the modern technology we have today. In the past, yes. Today, no. It would be unlikely to the point of approaching zero.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
So you don't think that John Wayne Gacy should have been executed after he admitted the torture and murder of 33 people?
I DO NOT BELIEVE THE STATE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE ANY CITIZENS LIFE.

How much more blunt do I have to be for it to get through the thickness?

You can come up with these simpleton tugs on emotions all day long and I’m not going to budge. It’s not an emotional issue. The state does not own me. It’s a social contract we have with the state.

So to further cement it here it is again…

Old 10-28-2021, 11:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:

You can come up with these simpleton tugs on emotions all day long and I’m not going to budge. It’s not an emotional issue. The state does not own me. It’s a social contract we have with the state.

Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs but what part of the Constitution denies the the state the right to take any citizen's life?

And no, the death penalty is not 'cruel and unusual punishment' when enacted as punishment for someone who takes another's life.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:21 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here's the problem with no death penalty (which isn't really a deterrent but a punishment) is what do you do with the Life Without Parole inmate who kills another prisoner? He already has the heaviest penalty given so do you give him another LWOP?

And don't say "Put him in solitary" because many states, Maryland being one, have abolished solitary confinement.
I've wondered this too. Could the death penalty not be reserved for those that could not be restrained even by incarceration, and let the people who behave properly in prison serve LWOP?

Old 10-28-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I am glad that the majority does not agree with you and neither do laws.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I've wondered this too. Could the death penalty not be reserved for those that could not be restrained even by incarceration, and let the people who behave properly in prison serve LWOP?

It could be but why should it be?

Someone walks into a public space and murders people, their guilt is unquestionable. Isn't the death penalty closer to 'justice' than allowing them to live out their natural life?

Old 10-28-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs but what part of the Constitution denies the the state the right to take any citizen's life?

And no, the death penalty is not 'cruel and unusual punishment' when enacted as punishment for someone who takes another's life.
What part of the Constitution gives the state the right?

It specifically doesn't have anything to do with our state in particular. That belief applies to every state going back to the dawn of humanity.

As the world becomes increasingly interconnected I hope people realize we don't serve the state, the state serves us. From that belief stems the view the state doesn't control our right to live or die.

Here in the US we've built massive institutions that have far too much power over us (freezing assets without criminal charges or before you've been served, taking your cash and forcing you to prove its yours, etc). Keep in mind I'm not anti-government, more pro-freedom. The state needs citizens to contribute their taxes to it for it to run; why don't the citizens focus more on what the state does for them vs what will another state do? We no longer live in a world where you have to be scared of the army next door invading and burning and stealing everything.

** Note: The structure of the US government is second to none; doesn't mean we the people shouldn't expect a better return from it and less waste (ie we should have cutting edge infrastructure instead of wasting all that money of ours nation building while our infrastructure rots).

Quote:
I am glad that the majority does not agree with you and neither do laws.
Based on trends that's quickly changing. Twenty years ago I was a tiny minority. In a few years I'll probably be in the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It could be but why should it be?

Someone walks into a public space and murders people, their guilt is unquestionable. Isn't the death penalty closer to 'justice' than allowing them to live out their natural life?
That's revenge. And if one of the victims family members wants it they can take it and answer to society for it.

Justice is giving them 30-60 to however many years left to sit in a cell and think about it.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
What part of the Constitution gives the state the right?

It specifically doesn't have anything to do with our state in particular. That belief applies to every state going back to the dawn of humanity.

As the world becomes increasingly interconnected I hope people realize we don't serve the state, the state serves us. From that belief stems the view the state doesn't control our right to live or die.

Here in the US we've built massive institutions that have far too much power over us (freezing assets without criminal charges or before you've been served, taking your cash and forcing you to prove its yours, etc). Keep in mind I'm not anti-government, more pro-freedom. The state needs citizens to contribute their taxes to it for it to run; why don't the citizens focus more on what the state does for them vs what will another state do? We no longer live in a world where you have to be scared of the army next door invading and burning and stealing everything.

** Note: The structure of the US government is second to none; doesn't mean we the people shouldn't expect a better return from it and less waste (ie we should have cutting edge infrastructure instead of wasting all that money of ours nation building while our infrastructure rots).

Based on trends that's quickly changing. Twenty years ago I was a tiny minority. In a few years I'll probably be in the majority.

That's revenge. And if one of the victims family members wants it they can take it and answer to society for it.

Justice is giving them 30-60 to however many years left to sit in a cell and think about it.
I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies