Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 07:35 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I totally agree.
And here's the thing -- Let's Go Brandon will be used in some form against the next Republican presidential candidate in some way. A not so clever tag line will be created.

I think it diminishes any actual real criticism of policy or action by the adminisration.

I thought that with the baby Trump balloon...the 'Cheeto' comments.

To me it was a lazy way of hurling insults without having to address policy.
It already was.

See Robert Deniro at the Tony awards. he got a standing ovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 07:37 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Politics is a nasty dirty game...you either get down into the muck and fight or sit on the sidelines.

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
The GOP and GOP supporters played nice for far too long now and where did that get us? We listened to insult after insult about Trump and Trump supporters. The name calling started by the left. I could care less that the GOP is finally going to get down in the mud. It's about damn time.
Exactly this, no more playing nice, it almost cost us the country

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
It already was.

See Robert Deniro at the Tony awards. he got a standing ovation.
I didn't see that -- I'll see if I can find it.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I didn't see that -- I'll see if I can find it.
It's not hard to find. Snoop Dog did the same, as did many celebs.

Lest we forget Kathy Griffin and the severed bloody head of DJT

Old 11-02-2021, 07:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's not hard to find. Snoop Dog did the same, as did many celebs.

Lest we forget Kathy Griffin and the severed bloody head of DJT
Oh you mean in the past.

ok. Yes lots of examples.

I actually think the Let's Go Brandon is funny. The folks hear using it and the name 'Brandon' harmless...it's the Cheeto, baby Trump, blah blah kind of stunt.

But it is going to far when other politicians chant it or wear masks.

Those individuals should be focussing on the problems with the policy.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I actually think the Let's Go Brandon is funny. The folks hear using it and the name 'Brandon' harmless...it's the Cheeto, baby Trump, blah blah kind of stunt.
It's funny on many levels, but mostly because the media exposed themselves in real time. The NBC reporter was obfuscating and spinning on Live TV and became a metaphor for the entire industry.

LGB is the embodiment of our times, that the people are deeply unhappy about the ideologues tanking the country and gaslighting you every step of the way

Old 11-02-2021, 08:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,130,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Blaming the GOP for not replacing Obamacare is a bit simplistic.

The machinery of bureaucracy had taken hold already and the ACA was designed to be difficult to replace, or fix it's shortcomings.

It was never meant to actually do what it was billed as ......it was designed to fail and be a stepping stone to single payer.

But it was sold to the public as an entitlement, and once entitlements are put in place they are very difficult to remove, even if they don't work as advertised.
But the GOP didn't even have a viable proposal to succeed Obamacare, after years and years of claiming that it wanted to repeal Obamacare.

The GOP couldn't have put a few people from a think tank into a conference room for an afternoon and come up with a viable replacement?

Old 11-02-2021, 08:08 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,130,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
The GOP and GOP supporters played nice for far too long now and where did that get us? We listened to insult after insult about Trump and Trump supporters. The name calling started by the left. I could care less that the GOP is finally going to get down in the mud. It's about damn time.
Ronald Reagan was likeable and had great ideas. Strong-willed but funny and very appealing as a person. Look at what that got us: victory in the Cold War and a booming economy, and 12 years of Republican presidents.

Trump was a jerk and the GOP didn't really have many new ideas, other than doing the opposite of what Democrats wanted, and fighting with Democrats. Look at what that got us: Joe Biden and a Democratic Congress.

Have great policy proposals and likeable, appealing candidates. That works.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:10 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I'm a lifelong right-winger; I was a very active Republican for years, and now I'm a Libertarian. I don't vote Democratic. Period. No exceptions. I despise that party.

However, I'm also offended at the boorish and thuggish behavior that I see coming from the right. Some examples:

1. The Congressman wearing a "Let's Go Brandon" face mask inside the Capitol.
2. People at a car race chanting "F___ Joe Biden!"
3. The drivers who surrounded the Joe Biden bus along the highway in Texas.

I don't need to list the boorish and thuggish behavior that I see coming from the left. It's been going on for years.

Enough is enough. Just because the left is boorish and thuggish is not an excuse for the right to be boorish and thuggish.

Can everyone on the right who crosses the bounds of good manners please stop?

I'm guilty of it--when I was a Teen Age Republican, I held a yard sign for a Congressional candidate, a few feet from his opponent, who saw it and came over to me, saying "That won't change my vote". (My Republican colleagues fussed at me for that, and I learned not to do that).

Do people who chant "F Joe Biden" not have anything better to do? If they don't--they need to find something better to do.
"Let's go Brandon" is hilarious and cleverly used. A viral inside joke that is in no way coarse or vulgar. A cuss word euphemism on a par with "Oh fudge" or "Shut the front door". A wolf of a thought cloaked in the sheep's clothing of acceptable linguistic decorum. If LGB gets you wound up then I submit you're a joyless liberal scold who's angered by what other people are thinking ... No big shocker there.

I'm not going to chant FJB in a crowd but I will yell LGB right along with them. I'm in total alignment with the conceptual sentiment.

What's notable here is not that our decorum has nosedived it's the implication of it. Let's look at the context first - The left's anti-Trump sentiment was even more deplorable - Antifa, purple haired lesbians beating on cars stuck at highway roadblocks, doxing and cancellation, destroying statues, burning down cities, the list goes on and on. They managed all of this in a hyper organized fashion. Busses unloading protestors, drop sites of bricks and frozen water bottles in and around peaceful protest sites, mobs 'spontaneously' developing around Republican leaders' houses, FBI plots to deny Trump the office. Conservatives have bemoaned ever being able to respond to this onslaught because we as a people are not organized. We live our lives and go to the polls but that's about it. We don't gang together with an orchestrated mission. Even the Jan 6th riot was a disorganized grabasstic mess of everything from anarchist weirdos, costumed circus characters, pissed off citizens, some violent fringe types and yes, grandmas and grandpas perusing the senate chambers while strolling calmly between the velvet ropes in the rotunda. We don't organize. We don't do $h!t together (much to our detriment) so when 80,000 conservatives rooting for different football teams spontaneously join voices in unison to chant something, anything for 20 sec at a time it speaks volumes about the titanic level of dissatisfaction that they must feel. Take note, liberal leaders full of your haughty moralistic impunity. This is going to go very poorly for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies