Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 08:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mail-in ballots have to be POSTMARKED by Election Day and received by November 8, so it's not really practical to count them first.
Yeah but why can't the ones received prior to Election Day not be counted? I think the law with not being allowed to open them until Election Day may need another look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 09:07 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Much ado about nothing.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:16 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Agreed, this would reduce any doubts about the integrity of the process.
Did you ever stop to think maybe they don't want you to trust the process? Maybe they want doubts about integrity to keep the republicans whining about how unfair it is when they lose, as it diminishes them. It also gives the dems cover for when they do have to cheat. They can just say the republicans always whine when they lose and this time is no different. Plus the questionable circumstances always break in their favor so why would they want that to stop?

Old 11-06-2021, 09:23 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Hmm. I guess dominion finally corrected their software issue in New Jersey that caused the loss in Virginia.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:55 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yeah but why can't the ones received prior to Election Day not be counted? I think the law with not being allowed to open them until Election Day may need another look.
Are you sure that's the case? It doesn't sound so in this article, but it doesn't specifically address that, either. However, it sounds as if they are looked at in advance for the signature comparison.

Eons ago, mid 70s, actually, I worked part-time for the Bergen County Board of Elections comparing signatures on what were then called "absentee ballots" to the application for the ballot. Most people submitting such ballots were shut-ins who could not get out to vote or people who would not be in the state. A Democrat and a Republican had to be sitting together to compare the signatures. I got the job but I had to register as a Republican because they had more Democrats than Republicans doing the work and they needed Republicans (which was what my father was. I really didn't care or know the difference at the time.)

But I don't recall that we actually tallied the votes--just compared the signatures. Then I filed them according to town. Got paid $3 an hour, above minimum at the time, woot woot.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2021/11/...-changing.html

Old 11-06-2021, 05:27 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Are you sure that's the case? It doesn't sound so in this article, but it doesn't specifically address that, either. However, it sounds as if they are looked at in advance for the signature comparison.

Eons ago, mid 70s, actually, I worked part-time for the Bergen County Board of Elections comparing signatures on what were then called "absentee ballots" to the application for the ballot. Most people submitting such ballots were shut-ins who could not get out to vote or people who would not be in the state. A Democrat and a Republican had to be sitting together to compare the signatures. I got the job but I had to register as a Republican because they had more Democrats than Republicans doing the work and they needed Republicans (which was what my father was. I really didn't care or know the difference at the time.)

But I don't recall that we actually tallied the votes--just compared the signatures. Then I filed them according to town. Got paid $3 an hour, above minimum at the time, woot woot.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2021/11/...-changing.html
Yes, it looks like the outer envelopes are opened prior to Election Day for verification.

According to the Secretary of State's website, the actual ballots can be opened on Election Day:

Quote:
NJSA 19:63-22 Opening of mail-in ballots
22. On the day of each election each county board of elections shall open in the presence of the commissioner of registration, or the designee thereof, the inner envelopes that contain the mail-in ballots with the votes cast for the election. The inner envelopes containing the ballots that the board or the Superior Court has rejected shall not be so opened, but shall be retained as provided for by this act. The board shall then proceed to canvass the votes cast on the mail-in ballots, but no such ballot shall be counted in any primary election for the general election if the ballot of the political party marked for voting thereon differs from the designation of the political party in the primary election of which such ballot is intended to be voted as marked on the envelope by the county board of elections.
https://nj.gov/state/dos-statutes-el...ml#ele_19_62_2

Last year was an exception due to COVID but I am guessing the procedures reverted back to the old rules for this election.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:56 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
So I wonder how many people here posting about it has called their representatives to demand an investigation?
Also, if there is nefarious activity going on, why are measures never put into place to stop it, and arrest those involved?

`

Old 11-06-2021, 05:57 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Why do mail-in ballots always have to be tabulated in the overnight hours? If anything, they should have been the first to be counted because they were received ahead of time.
The majority Republican legislature in Pennsylvania prohibited county boards of elections from counting the mail ballots until after the polls had closed at 8 p.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies