Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 07:44 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Actually the state of Texas runs the tollways. Its not private at all.

Texas Toll Operations

The Toll Operations Division (TOD) is responsible for developing, operating, and maintaining TxDOT owned toll roads. TxDOT currently operates approximately 208 centerline miles of toll roads in the Austin (Central Texas Turnpike System), Houston (Grand Parkway/SH 99 and SH 249), and Dallas & Ft. Worth regions.
Oh. I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 07:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,771,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Guess I’ll stick with my carbureted, non-computerized vehicle and go live in the woods. I’m done with this society and the complete hatred of freedom.
I know how you feel.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I agree with your basic premise of user pays, BUT I have a feeling that given the federal government's track record they will be more New York than New Jersey. And since every president seems to think our infrastructure is falling apart, it appears I'm correct.

Texas has privately operated tollways that are excellent btw so I suppose that's also an option (get government out of it altogether).
People in Texas don't like the toll roads, and are trying to get bills passed in the Texas State House to turn them into "free" roads

Old 11-06-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Actually the state of Texas runs the tollways. Its not private at all.

Texas Toll Operations

The Toll Operations Division (TOD) is responsible for developing, operating, and maintaining TxDOT owned toll roads. TxDOT currently operates approximately 208 centerline miles of toll roads in the Austin (Central Texas Turnpike System), Houston (Grand Parkway/SH 99 and SH 249), and Dallas & Ft. Worth regions.
They're a private public partnership, Cintra I think is the bondholder for most of them

Old 11-06-2021, 07:51 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber rain View Post
No I want people who use the roads the most to pay the most for the upkeep. Should the people who drive 3000 miles a year pay as much as people who drive 20,000 miles a year? Some states already base registration on vehicle size and miles driven.

Also tolls only impact the users. Some states manage the system well (New Jersey for example) and some states completely drop the ball (New York).
Everyone will be paying..even if you don't drive.

Do you think the supply chain (all those various stops along the way from cow to supermarket beef) is going to eat that tax themselves ? NOPE...each of them will pass that tax on to their cusomer.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Everyone will be paying..even if you don't drive.

Do you think the supply chain (all those various stops along the way from cow to supermarket beef) is going to eat that tax themselves ? NOPE...each of them will pass that tax on to their cusomer.
That already happens, or do you think that fuel taxes should be eliminated entirely? You don’t seem to understand that there is no free lunch here

Old 11-06-2021, 07:52 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
I think its simpler to keep gas taxes where they are and tax electric vehicles based on how much juice they put in their EV's.
Well that's not in the bill. Looks like they are going after bigger fish...everyone.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
The government will mandate that you have to send a picture of your odometer every year and then be charged tax for every mile. It is coming.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:03 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People in Texas don't like the toll roads, and are trying to get bills passed in the Texas State House to turn them into "free" roads
LMAO. They'll suddenly "like" them again when the free roads start falling apart

Old 11-06-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
LMAO. They'll suddenly "like" them again when the free roads start falling apart
Note to poster, when Texans originally approved these toll roads back in the 1970s and 1980s, they were told that they would become free of use/freeways once the toll bonds were paid in full.

That only happened with one of them, the former Dallas-Ft Worth Turnpike (now the Tom Landry Freeway), which became free of use in 1997. A good chunk of the voters feel they were bait and switched when it comes to others, especially the Sam Houston Tollway and Hardy Toll Road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies