Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 05:41 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Ouch.

But okay I did do a little research.

"There have been two different firearms, both with the name AR-15. The original was designed by a group of people working at Armalite. It was intended for use by the military. But the design was sold to Colt. They further refined it. The design was field tested by the Army during the Viet Nam War as the AR-15. At a later time it was adopted and standardized as the M-16. Subsequent to that, Colt decided to market it for civilian use. They made a redesigned version of it."

So arguably we're both kinda right. But fair point that it was not used by the military despite originally being designed for the purpose of war.

Maybe we should call it a bullet exploding weapon? But I still don't get it's use for hunting. If you use it for deer and small game hunting, won't you be chewing on a lot of buckshot?

So, still can't wrap my brain around why civilians need assault weapons (originally designed for use by the military). Help me understand why it's necessary......
You really should do MORE research BEFORE posting on issues you know very little about!

It is foolish to try to have honest conversations with people with so little knowledge on the subjects.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:43 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The USA!?? and its not even close! In fact its not even close to being close! Certainly amongst 1st World countries........the US is still considered 1st World isn't it?
I repeat, Look at where MOST of the gun violence occurs and get back to us!

Why are you so afraid to do so?

Old 04-04-2023, 04:13 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I repeat, Look at where MOST of the gun violence occurs and get back to us!

Why are you so afraid to do so?
Usually wherever there's the most poverty and low social mobility. I know you want to tie that to "blah blah Democrats", but the Trump-voting states have more murder on average than the Biden-voting states. Because, they're poorer.

The US has a unique issue with gun violence, and it's because of how far right it is, not because of how far left it is on the topic of guns. Countries to the left of us don't have this whole issue even nearly as much, so that doesn't leave you much logical room to blame the pro- gun control Dems.

We're a statistical outlier in gun violence because we're a statistical outlier on total number of guns (400 million of them), especially with no licenses or registration in place nationally.

We need gun control to save lives.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:28 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I'm not left, (no one lets me in their club for long) just reading the amendment --- so your telling me that if a person upon the age of 21 was required to join their State's National Guard so that they can carry a gun on their person at all times, is a restriction?

Second Amendment

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

If you ask me, the Federal Government doesn't want to temp fate (Civil War do over) that each State would have the military power to take on the u.s. Armed Forces. Thus the reason the second amendment has never been enforced verbatim. The Federal Government doesn't want to relive the idea that the States might get into their heads, that a Confederate Form of Government is the better way to go and is in the best interest of serving their citizens.

So they allow the States per the 10th Amendment to enact "gun control" laws. Which do what? Infringe on the rights of the citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
The good news (among a flood of bad news) here is that one by one, people such as Ellis Bell are admitting that governments are violating the 2nd amendment by making laws restricting people's guns one way or another.

That's progress. But we need much more.
The Federal Government doesn't enforce a Constitutional law; leaves it up to the States to deal with it and that's the take away? If that is how people feel about the 2nd Amendment, then no one in government is violating gun rights.
~ Enjoy ~

Old 04-04-2023, 05:41 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Before commenting, at least do a little research.

An AR-15 is just a basic mag fed semi auto rifle, and it's never been used in any military. Not to mention, it is widely used for deer and small game hunting.

Meh on the surface to air missile. It's too tough to fit in a backpack, and not a real good choice for personal protection.
The AR-15 is identical to the M16 in every aspect except it doesn't have full auto, it's far from basic.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:47 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The AR-15 is identical to the M16 in every aspect except it doesn't have full auto, it's far from basic.
And that is a big deal. One is an NFA firearm, the other no different than any other semi auto rifle.

So, if you want to ban AR15's, just say you want to ban all semi auto rifles. That way you look like you are somewhat informed.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:04 PM

What purpose does it serve, to allow civilians to have these semi-auto rifles that are capable of such mass murder?

Yes, some use AR-15's for sport, or self defense, or whatever non-violent use, but they also seem to be the go-to weapon of choice for people who want to shoot up a school, or kill a lot of people quickly during their going postal rampage.

It can fire off lots of powerful rounds, really fast. Surely you can protect your home from an intruder, without that capability.

I don't think civilians need something that can fire off 30 rounds without reloading. If we were all stable and there were no killers and ill people in the US, then that would be one thing (a fantasy world). But we are averaging more than 600 mass shootings per year. Clearly we need to make the gun policies stricter and more controlled and regulated.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What purpose does it serve, to allow civilians to have these semi-auto rifles that are capable of such mass murder?

Yes, some use AR-15's for sport, or self defense, or whatever non-violent use, but they also seem to be the go-to weapon of choice for people who want to shoot up a school, or kill a lot of people quickly during their going postal rampage.

It can fire off lots of powerful rounds, really fast. Surely you can protect your home from an intruder, without that capability.

I don't think civilians need something that can fire off 30 rounds without reloading. If we were all stable and there were no killers and ill people in the US, then that would be one thing (a fantasy world). But we are averaging more than 600 mass shootings per year. Clearly we need to make the gun policies stricter and more controlled and regulated.
Just ban them all ...don't get hung up on the semantics of semi auto, pump action, lever action, or bolt action. They all can do the same thing. Oddly enough, the anti gunners are focused on a firearm that is rarely used. Why aren't you focusing on the semi auto handgun ? That is the firearm used the most.

I'm really surprised that one of these cowardly POS individuals hasn't used a couple of illegally modified glocks along with a backpack full of 33 round mags. That would be far more devastating than any AR15. It almost makes me think they choose that firearm because it has been propagandized, and built up by the media and our politicians as the most devastating firearm known to man. Hell, we even have some posters that think they shoot buckshot and exploding bullets.

Just start writing your politicians to repeal the 2A. Ban all firearms from being owned. And if that ever happens, good luck, because this country will turn into what we see south of our borders.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just ban them all ...don't get hung up on the semantics of semi auto, pump action, lever action, or bolt action. They all can do the same thing. Oddly enough, the anti gunners are focused on a firearm that is rarely used. Why aren't you focusing on the semi auto handgun ? That is the firearm used the most.

I'm really surprised that one of these cowardly POS individuals hasn't used a couple of illegally modified glocks along with a backpack full of 33 round mags. That would be far more devastating than any AR15. It almost makes me think they choose that firearm because it has been propagandized, and built up by the media and our politicians as the most devastating firearm known to man. Hell, we even have some posters that think they shoot buckshot and exploding bullets.

Just start writing your politicians to repeal the 2A. Ban all firearms from being owned. And if that ever happens, good luck, because this country will turn into what we see south of our borders.
So, total straw man nonsense? That's all you got?

I simply advocate for firearms regulation more like Canada's, where the homicide rate is significantly lower than ours:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...homicide-rate/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...tion_in_Canada

Starting with requiring licensing, registration, etc.

People can dance around it all they want, but the 400 million unregistered guns thing, is the reason why the US has so much gun violence. Both stats are outliers, and they are clearly linked. We have way too many guns, hardly any of them are registered, hardly anybody needs a license or a thorough background vetting or training in order to have them, there are few restrictions about how you have to keep them, and we allow civilian ownership of the types of semi-auto guns that other countries ban.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So, total straw man nonsense? That's all you got?

I simply advocate for firearms regulation more like Canada's, where the homicide rate is significantly lower than ours:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...homicide-rate/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...tion_in_Canada

Starting with requiring licensing, registration, etc.

People can dance around it all they want, but the 400 million unregistered guns thing, is the reason why the US has so much gun violence. Both stats are outliers, and they are clearly linked. We have way too many guns, hardly any of them are registered, hardly anybody needs a license or a thorough background vetting or training in order to have them, there are few restrictions about how you have to keep them, and we allow civilian ownership of the types of semi-auto guns that other countries ban.
Strawman ? WTF are you talking about ? First you state " i don't think civilians need something that can fire 30 rounds without reloading" now its all about licensing and registration ? I can't keep up with those moving goal posts. Make up your mind which is it ?

FWIW, my handguns are registered with the state, i have a license to carry, which requires a training course every 5 years. Oh, and this is in MI, the same place the MSU school shooting happened. Although it shouldn't have, but a DA decided to knock down the felony he should have had to a misdemeanor. Had he ended up with a felony, he never would have been able to legally purchase the firearm used in that shooting.
Start enforcing the laws on the books, and start going hard on criminals before restricting the law abiding. Yeah, i know, that is just too logical for the anti gunners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies