Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 05:02 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
This is the social spending bill. Keep up.

The already bloated $1.2T infrastructure bill has already passed, which is already too much.

Name a single country in the history of the world that was successful without getting its financial house in order. Be specific. As someone who works in wealth management, you should know that this country can't spend above its means in perpetuity.

BTW if you spent your clients' money the way the federal government does, you'd be in federal prison for the remainder of your natural life. The amount of government waste that goes on in this country is disgustingly criminal.

One thing I will note about the infrastructure bill (which, of course, then President Trump supported) is that it is not tossing money down a rat hole. It is money being used for actual 'things', like roads.

You had those that objected to the 1950s Interstate Highway bill. But, I think that 60 years later, no one would seriously argue that it was money that was wasted.

It is estimated, for example, that my home state of Texas will receive some 35 billion dollars:

https://www.texarkanagazette.com/new...t-aside-about/

From the link:

Here is the breakdown of the funds that Texas is expected to receive based on estimates from the White House:
• Federal highway programs: $26.9 billion
• Public transportation: $3.3 billion
• Drinking water infrastructure (and removing lead pipes): $2.9 billion
• Airports: $1.2 billion
• Bridge replacement and repairs: $537 million
• Electric vehicle charging network: $408 million
• Broadband expansion: $100 million
• Wildfire protection: $53 million
• Cyberattacks protection: $42 million

Now, no doubt some will quibble with some of the money being spent. Broadband expansion? Yet, the internet is here to stay (or so I assume). Indeed, I have read that to even apply for a job, you need to have Internet access (which I, being old, find damned strange). Nevertheless, to make it possible for people throughout the state to have access to such seems logical.

Remember when the Republicans, in Mr. Trump's first year, approved a tax cut that literally only benefited the wealthy? Added almost 2 trillion dollars to the debt? Where were you then? How did that help out the average American? Sure, George Soros and company got to keep more of their money, but how did that help anyone?

Even Donald Trump realized that investing in America is good. However, he simply failed to get a bill passed, or even considered, even though Republicans controlled the White House and Congress that first two years.

Too busy rewarding George Soros, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 05:07 PM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
One thing I will note about the infrastructure bill (which, of course, then President Trump supported) is that it is not tossing money down a rat hole. It is money being used for actual 'things', like roads.
Rather than read articles that cherry pick and "interpret" what is in the bill, try reading the bill yourself and you'll see it's quite a different animal than the articles make it out to be.

Oh road money....$115 billion and states that get money can only use 15% of it for non federal roads.
The Fed is giving them money to fix the federal highways in the state and can use 15% for the rest of the roads in the state.

Oh and Amtrak gets bailed out...yet again.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:09 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Rather than read articles that cherry pick and "interpret" what is in the bill, try reading the bill yourself and you'll see it's quite a different animal than the articles make it out to be.

Oh road money....$115 billion and states that get money can only use 15% of it for non federal roads.
The Fed is giving them money to fix the federal highways in the state and can use 15% for the rest of the roads in the state.

That monstrosity needs to be allowed to fail.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:09 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
This is about the infrastructure bill, not taxes on the middle class. Name a single country in the history of the world that was successful without investing in its infrastructure. Be specific in your examples.
If you chop half of the US military budget (note not defense budget because we don't need all that for "defense") then you save 350 billion a year. In 5 years time, you will have saved up the 1.7 or so trillion for infrastructure.

No nation can achieve prosperity without infrastructure...but plenty of nations collapse due to their military overreach.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:13 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
If you chop half of the US military budget (note not defense budget because we don't need all that for "defense") then you save 350 billion a year. In 5 years time, you will have saved up the 1.7 or so trillion for infrastructure.

No nation can achieve prosperity without infrastructure...but plenty of nations collapse due to their military overreach.
Agreed. Thanks to Biden, we aren't at war for the first time in decades, but for some reason we aren't cutting our military budget. It's bizarre.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:

You'd have to save 10 years to meet the $4T price tag and when the Senate is done with it, it'll be $7T. So 20 years.

So let the bill die and come back in 20 years with proof of $7T in the bank. A recent bank statement will do.

Did I mention we already passed a $1T infrastructure package? So the infrastructure investment part is already done.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:20 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
You'd have to save 10 years to meet the $4T price tag and when the Senate is done with it, it'll be $7T. So 20 years.

So let the bill die and come back in 20 years with proof of $7T in the bank. A recent bank statement will do.

Did I mention we already passed a $1T infrastructure package? So the infrastructure investment part is already done.
That's fine with me. 7 trillion in the bank with a lean down military budget is a great start, right? I can deal with a crumbling infrastructure so long as we are saving something.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
That's fine with me. 7 trillion in the bank with a lean down military budget is a great start, right? I can deal with a crumbling infrastructure so long as we are saving something.
If they spent the infrastructure bill money properly, we won't have crumbling infrastructure. And in the meanwhile, let's cut the federal welfare budget by 50%. Hell, just cut the federal budget 50% across the board.

This bill literally has no infrastructure in it.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:23 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Agreed. Thanks to Biden, we aren't at war for the first time in decades, but for some reason we aren't cutting our military budget. It's bizarre.

the only reason i can think of is oil MUST be based on the dollar to keep the USA afloat....AND something in the near future along the lines of post ww2 in Germany were money was called in and revalued ...

this is due to the huge mismanagement of wall-streeters NOT from to many foodstamps lol

perhaps other posters are waiting for oil and automobile companies to build our roads

Old 11-14-2021, 05:24 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

I guess you read the Bill? Here is a link to it:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...bill/3684/text

Yes, I do rely on articles written by those that have read the bill, or part of it (the news companies assign people to read parts of each such bill, according to their expertise, or didn't you know that?.

As for you assertion that 'only 15 percent of it for non federal roads', that is sadly needed, and is probably not enough.

I believe that 'Federal roads' it a pretty low percentage of 'roads' in the United States. You may look up the Federal highway system on Google.

But, many states (and counties) have suffered greatly from the loss of revenue from the pandemic. I have a house in east Texas; the county roads to the house are in awful shape (potholes and such). The county (Henderson) has no money to fix the roads. This bill will help.

As for Amtrak: no more bailouts, but improve the railway system, which this bill addresses:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...-bill-funding/

I'm all for (as was Mr. Trump, in a prior life) for improving railway transportation in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies