Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 07:28 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,073,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Here's the link to the Washington Post article, but there is a paywall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...estic-flights/

He says that masks (which are removed for eating and drinking on the flights, hence defeating the purpose) and vaccinating travel industry workers are working well, so no need to require vaccines to fly.

Coward. He just lost my donation and my vote for any future run. He's afraid of the political backlash from the vaccine-refusers (as if any of them would ever have voted for him). Frankly, they should be required for buses and trains too; in fact, for use of any form of mass public transit. Best place to begin implementing this policy would be flights, since they're tightly controlled and purchased well in advance.

He should resign fast, giving the excuse of needing to spend more time with his family. And Biden should appoint someone with no aspirations of running for elected office in the future, so that they can make the tough call to mandate Covid vaccines for flying.
Why are you so obsessed with what other people do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 07:32 AM

4,570 posts, read 2,291,576 times
Quote:

He says that masks (which are removed for eating and drinking on the flights, hence defeating the purpose) and vaccinating travel industry workers are working well, so no need to require vaccines to fly.

Coward. He just lost my donation and my vote for any future run. He's afraid of the political backlash from the vaccine-refusers (as if any of them would ever have voted for him). Frankly, they should be required for buses and trains too; in fact, for use of any form of mass public transit. Best place to begin implementing this policy would be flights, since they're tightly controlled and purchased well in advance.

He should resign fast, giving the excuse of needing to spend more time with his family. And Biden should appoint someone with no aspirations of running for elected office in the future, so that they can make the tough call to mandate Covid vaccines for flying.

You take care of you and I will take care of me. Either your vaccines work or they do not. Either masks work or they do not.

I saw this somewhere. "So let me get this straight — They’re trying to convince the Unvaccinated that the jabs work, while trying to convince the Vaccinated that they don’t work, so they’ll all go out and get their boosters".

Yep. Mind your own business.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:32 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,928,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Glad he isn’t doing it, the vaccine mandates have gotten out of hand. I am vaccinated and I take care of me I don’t need the government to do it. If I was on a plane, train or bus I would wear a mask, I don’t expect others too. It’s time to stop the fighting and let’s get back to living. It’s time to end the vaccinated against unvaccinated.
I feel the same as you, I’m fine with those vaccinated as well as unvaccinated. I don’t like Biden and media trying to turn it into us vs them. I really hope it works well especially since my daughter and her family are vaccinated. I’m happy that they are against the mandates too. I do find that all thoseI know who are vaccinated feels the same way about the mandates, that it should be a personal choice.

Last edited by Blues4evr; 11-23-2021 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-23-2021, 07:38 AM

14,237 posts, read 4,615,622 times
That’s probably because the feds cant enforce that rules to domestic travelers. International? Yes

Old 11-23-2021, 07:48 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,431,110 times
Quote:

I 100% disagree with this post.

But I am glad you wrote it because it seems that you are DEFINITELY in the minority regrading your opinion on this issue. I think I am now out of reps, though!

Last edited by katharsis; 11-23-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-23-2021, 07:59 AM

5,350 posts, read 3,234,360 times
Quote:
He's afraid of the political backlash from the vaccine-refusers (as if any of them would ever have voted for him). Frankly, they should be required for buses and trains too; in fact, for use of any form of mass public transit. Best place to begin implementing this policy would be flights, since they're tightly controlled and purchased well in advance.
I'll start with the second half of your post first - masks are required for buses and trains. Even the local nostalgic tourist steam train here requires masks because it operates under some federal authority. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...portation.html

To your first point, let me preface by the fact that I am fully vaccinated (since April of last year) and I believe that everyone should take the vaccine. What we have seen is that the vaccine does not prevent transmission or the ability to become infected. Fully vaccinated people still contract COVID, however the prognosis is much better if you're vaccinated. I have an anti-vaxxer family member who died of Covid on a ventilator 2 months ago - hence I wish everyone would get vaccinated. The death could have been prevented.

Having said that, no, requiring vaccines is not the answer. We have done the best we can - we locked down, we social distanced, we masked up, we vaccinated and yet vaccinated people are still contracting the virus. If you are that concerned with catching it, you need to not fly. At some point personal responsibility must take control.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:00 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
That’s probably because the feds cant enforce that rules to domestic travelers. International? Yes
Since Feds regulate intrastate commerce, they in theory could try. I don't think it would stand up in court, but it's not a slam dunk it would be rejected either.

The reason this was not done is it would decimate airline business. 30-40% people are not fully vaccinated, and they fly. Airlines are just coming out of their worst year ever, and they're barely above water as it stands. Doing something like this would bankrupt the industry. They may try this again when the unvaccinated fall to 10-20%.

Then there is the unpopularity of such a mandate. It will kill the Democratic party's chance at anything. Imagine all the Black people who fly, who are unvaccinated, who vote Democrat. If they get told you cannot fly unless you're vaccinated, they will vote Republican.

Then there are a lot of apolitical young people who don't care. But they fly. Imagine them being told you need to vaccinate, or cannot fly. They will vote out of anger too. It will be collective suicide for Democrats to do this right now.

Regardless, there is no public health reason to impose these mandates. Vaccinated spread and catch the virus almost as easily as unvaccinated. If they want to protect people, they'd mandate social distancing on airplanes, and mandatory testing.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:06 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,200,022 times
Quote:

Nothing is stopping you from getting an N-95 mask and wearing it while you fly. That will provide much better protection than other people wearing little paper masks or filthy re-used cloth masks. It will also provide far superior protection to mandated vaccines which we all now know do not prevent the transmission of Covid. If you are afraid that an N-95 mask is not sufficient to prevent you from getting Covid you probably need to just shut yourself up in your house, and you certainly should avoid flying at all. You worry about your health and you need to let everyone else worry about their’s.

And thank God someone in this administration decided to put brakes on at least a little of this Covid related tyranny.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:50 AM

16,573 posts, read 10,683,199 times
Wow, someone in the Brandon administration actually recognized the limits of their authority and acted accordingly? Wow, I'm glad I was sitting down for this one!

Old 11-23-2021, 08:54 AM

158 posts, read 72,889 times
Quote:

We need a dislike button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies