Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 12:42 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times

Advertisements

Parents of 16 of the 17 children killed at Douglas Stoneman High School have settled with the FBI for $ 127,000,000 of OUR money. Apparently, they sued because the FBI had received a tip about the shooter a month earlier and didn't stop him. I hope they enjoy their blood money. Personally, I think it's disgusting.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/22/10582...about-130-mill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 01:16 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Liberals said you can trust the government. Why is the FBI paying millions for their inaction?

Old 11-23-2021, 06:23 AM

23,548 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Liberals said you can trust the government. Why is the FBI paying millions for their inaction?
The one who should have been sued was Obama. It was his PROMISE program that had allowed Cruz to slip through the cracks. Cruz was a hot mess long before the shooting but no one could say or do anything about it because of that program.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...z-slip-cracks/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...e81_story.html

Old 11-23-2021, 06:42 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I don't begrudge the parents receiving some money in recognition of their HUGE loss -- I wouldn't call it "compensation" as nothing can compensate for the loss of a young and healthy loved one, and especially if that death was the result of murder or negligence -- but imo, anything more than a million dollars is excessive for someone who is still in school and doesn't have any dependents.

And I also think to use the phrase "cash in", as well as most of the OP's post, is extremely callous and unwarranted. I would be willing to bet that given the choice between receiving 20 million dollars or having their child back alive and healthy, most parents would choose the latter without even a 1/10 second's hesitation.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:47 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Money cannot replace the loss of your kid. At least the way I see it.

But of course, they want something. Not sure if the FBI is culpable here. Or anyone besides the shooter. It's sad, but this is life. The FBI gets a lot of tips, and cannot act on most because they're not actionable. Cruz was a troubled kid, but there are millions like him who don't shoot up their school.

Give him the death penalty, and allow the parents watch. This is the only justice that can be had here.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:51 AM

4,389 posts, read 1,698,709 times
If they settled for THAT much, then the FBI realizes they probably made some mistakes. Either way, good for the parents. I’m sure they would give it all back to have their kids back.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:54 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I think the point of the point OP is that the FBI is us - and we are paying for their screw-ups - even though "we" didn't do anything. Did anyone at the FBI get held accountable?

It really makes the point that we should be more in tune with who is in government and how they operate, because in the end - the taxpayers foot the bill for all of it.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:55 AM

4,389 posts, read 1,698,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Parents of 16 of the 17 children killed at Douglas Stoneman High School have settled with the FBI for $ 127,000,000 of OUR money. Apparently, they sued because the FBI had received a tip about the shooter a month earlier and didn't stop him. I hope they enjoy their blood money. Personally, I think it's disgusting.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/22/10582...about-130-mill
The FBI didn’t receive “a” tip, they received multiple tips leading up to the shooting, including one that said he was eventually going to explode and shoot up the school.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:56 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Parents of 16 of the 17 children killed at Douglas Stoneman High School have settled with the FBI for $ 127,000,000 of OUR money. .... Personally, I think it's disgusting.
Agree. I would much rather know that the person(s) who made the decision to not investigate further were fired from their job and stripped of all law enforcement authority.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:01 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The one who should have been sued was Obama. It was his PROMISE program that had allowed Cruz to slip through the cracks. Cruz was a hot mess long before the shooting but no one could say or do anything about it because of that program.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...z-slip-cracks/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...e81_story.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...rjury-77215766

The superintendent’s critics said crimes, bullying and other school problems were routinely underreported by Stoneman Douglas and other district schools and few did voluntary security assessments. Stoneman Douglas reported zero incidents of bullying among its 3,200 students between 2014 and 2017 and three incidents of vandalism, for example.

Another target of criticism has been the district’s Promise Program a student disciplinary system Runcie instituted shortly after he became superintendent. Under Promise, students who fight or commit petty vandalism, theft, harassment or other minor crimes, are referred to an off-campus site for up to 10 days instead of the courts.

Critics say Promise created a lenient atmosphere that allowed shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz to briefly attend Stoneman Douglas a year before the massacre despite a history of fights, threats and behavioral problems. The district says while the program needed changes, it was a success overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies