Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 02:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,084,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
I didn't say people that were heavily impacted, but rather just pointing out that's all it would take regardless of job occupation. Refinancing costs are typically built into the new loan and the homeowner is left with the lower monthly payment and lower overall total.
These people would most likely be renters.

The flip side to these low mortgage rates is huge increases in the prices of homes....keeping lower wage earners off the property ladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 02:41 PM

2,335 posts, read 817,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
These people would most likely be renters.

The flip side to these low mortgage rates is huge increases in the prices of homes....keeping lower wage earners off the property ladder.
Again, not sure what you're talking about. The comment merely referenced that all it would take is a $2/hr increase. That says nothing about whether those people are renters or homeowners (that's something you're making an assumption about with no basis). People on jobs across the spectrum have gotten over a $2/hr increase. Some are renters and some homeowners. Also, many metropolitan areas did indeed go down during the pandemic and have not gotten back to where they were. And some people even got the Goose that laid the golden egg in rent control areas (let me know if I need to explain that one to you).

Home purchases, as explained earlier, tend to be something people will do very seldom in their lifetime. Lower wage earners have had to be creative for years to get a home (that's not something new to this year). Without some serious sacrifice, excellent money management skills, and creativity, do you honestly think home purchases have really been within reach for quite some time on anyone that was a low wage earner?

Last edited by dicipher; 11-23-2021 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 02:48 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
That's right, getting a better wage and putting it into their gas tanks, their mouths and their homes. Yay for more money.
So you'd prefer that people not make a living wage so that you can have cheaper gas and food?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-24-2021 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: Removed delete quote and direct response

Old 11-23-2021, 02:51 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,084,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Again, not sure what you're talking about. The comment merely referenced that all it would take is a $2/hr increase. That says nothing about whether those people are renters or homeowners (that's something you're making an assumption about with no basis). People on jobs across the spectrum have gotten over a $2/hr increase. Some are renters and some homeowners. Also, many metropolitan areas did indeed go down during the pandemic and have not gotten back to where they were. And some people even got the Goose that laid the golden egg in rent control areas (let me know if I need to explain that one to you).
You mentioned being able to refinance homes as a miracle solution for people who are struggling; I’m merely pointing out that many who struggle are not homeowners or may not even have the extra money (often around $650) to pay for appraisal upfront. Yes I know how refi’s work.

As to your bolded, talking down to people and treating them as if they were stupid makes you look bad.
In fact, this whole thread makes you look bad.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:51 PM

25,874 posts, read 12,910,007 times
The significant inflation I'm seeing, like for example...

-gas went <$3/gal to >$4/gal (my luxury cars require 93 Octane)

-milk went from $1.89 to $3.49 at Aldi where I do 1/2 of our shopping because I'm frugal in some ways (but not all)

-our retirement home went from $550k to $900k in 3 yrs

...is not impacting my behavior, but for reasons that are somewhat unique...why?

#1 I own a company, so I can just raise my prices to offset inflation, unlike most people reading this, who work for others, & can't do so. Thus, they become victims of gov't inflicted inflation.

#2 I'm in the top 2% for net worth, so even high inflation like we have now, doesn't impact my behavior much.

My biggest concern is this...how does DC stop this inflation train? The traditional way is to increase interest rates, but if they do that, it increases our payments on our $30T national debt. Interest payments are rising faster than our ability to tax.

Soon, interest payments will eclipse defense spending! The trend line on inflation, and interest payments, is scary to me, so to most American's, they should be terrified.

I do not see any way out of this, other than massive fed gov't rightsizing & spending cuts.

Realistically, I dont see that happening, so draw your own conclusions of what things will be like 2 years from now.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:52 PM

4,565 posts, read 2,286,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So you'd prefer that people not make a living wage so that you can have cheaper gas and food?

Who said that??

If you make more money but spend more on every day things, do you really make more money or do you end up with the same or maybe slightly more?

That was my point.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You mentioned being able to refinance homes as a miracle solution for people who are struggling; I’m merely pointing out that many who struggle are not homeowners or may not even have the extra money to pay for appraisal upfront. Yes I know how refi’s work.

As to your bolded, talking down to people and treating them as if they were stupid makes you look bad.
In fact, this whole thread makes you look bad.

Refinancing is a way as is earning merely $2 or more per hour. I hardly think answering a question with a rational reply makes me look bad, even though it might be bothersome to you. Not many people understand how rent control works. I figured I'd ask since that put many renters in an advantageous position.

Last edited by dicipher; 11-23-2021 at 03:07 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Who said that??

If you make more money but spend more on every day things, do you really make more money or do you end up with the same or maybe slightly more?

That was my point.
Slightly more sounds better to me (at least it's improvement). And many are doing better than slightly more.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:56 PM

21,960 posts, read 9,548,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Impact has been very minimal on my family. So we're spending an extra $20-$30 on groceries a month. Not a big deal in my world at all.
Don't drive? Don't heat your house? Or your water....

Old 11-23-2021, 02:57 PM

21,960 posts, read 9,548,864 times
I just saw on my formerly local Nextdoor people are getting their first heating bills of the winter griping about how much they went up like it was unexpected. Living under a rock, I guess. I can't wait to see how much FJB chanting goes up when people start seeing their bills in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies