Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 02:58 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,560,015 times

Advertisements

Did Biden ask us to drive less??
If so,he does not have to go around begging Saudi to pump more !
Totally humiliating,OH,he also said other nations are releasing their strategic reserve and ask their citizens to conserve,so WE CAN KEEP DRIVING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 03:01 PM

2,335 posts, read 819,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I just saw on my formerly local Nextdoor people are getting their first heating bills of the winter griping about how much they went up like it was unexpected. Living under a rock, I guess. I can't wait to see how much FJB chanting goes up when people start seeing their bills in January.
I was just talking to a buddy the other day on that one. My utilities expenses in a 2700 sf home have not gone up vs the 1100 sf apartment I was living in. I'm still laughing about that one. Just dumb luck I guess buying a LEED certified home. Combined electric, gas, and water is simply a breakeven. Who'd have thunk it?

Old 11-23-2021, 03:20 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,838,156 times
I'm paying a little more for gas, but not enough to impact my budget or lifestyle.

For my business, I've had delays in getting materials and I'm paying slightly more for them. I have always paid top dollar for USA made recyclable materials used in my products and packaging.

However, demand has gone through the roof and my business is exploding. Clearly, not everybody is hurting, because they are spending money like I've never seen before. My business and what I sell is non-essential. The higher materials cost will be written off on my taxes. I haven't raised my prices because I think prices will stabilize, so I'm riding it out. Next year the supply chain issues will be a thing of the past.
I'll re-evaluate my prices next quarter. If I raise my prices it will be to slow down demand, so I can keep up, not because of increased costs.

I buy groceries from local farmers only, so that's not an issue for me. I don't buy any food that's not local.

Last edited by Butterflyfish; 11-23-2021 at 03:30 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 03:24 PM

20,843 posts, read 8,673,442 times
Prices are going up for everyone. If you are poor, you are impacted more than if you are rich. Not rocket science.

I've been stocking up on many things I regularly use because I know I would just pay more in the future.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:44 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,998,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
It wasn't too bad until I went to order more firewood. Everything sold out with in 100 miles of me for seasoned wood. The price of green wood just split is around 15% higher. Doesn't sound like much unless you know how heating with green wood works. To keep a decent fire you have to use so much more or it goes out.

So even avoiding gas and oil you simply can't escape higher prices no matter what you do. Usually I cut my own and this year didn't have time because I was building a house (also very expensive to do right now).

I am beginning to feel like times are desperate when you have to forage on the side of the road to keep warm. Not because you can't afford wood but because you can't even get dry wood. Wood is my sole source of heat.
Didn't anyone ever tell you to buy green wood this year and stack it to dry for use next year? Much cheaper that way too.

Do not burn green wood. All you will make is smoke.

Didn't have time to cut your own wood? If you had done that this past summer, it would still be green anyway. Learn to plan ahead.

Old 11-23-2021, 04:58 PM

42,015 posts, read 75,434,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Who said that??

If you make more money but spend more on every day things, do you really make more money or do you end up with the same or maybe slightly more?

That was my point.
A fair wage structure and the price of consumer goods are two separate issues.

That was my point.

Using your logic, when gas prices decrease - and they will - people should be paid less.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:20 PM

32,147 posts, read 15,166,229 times
I grew up poor in a large catholic family. A loaf of bread was a staple on our dinner table. No one complained. My mother worked two jobs to provide for us.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:30 PM

16,177 posts, read 10,857,191 times
Gas here has gone up 30-cents a gallon in the past year. I don’t see that as reason to panic. Food grocery prices have gone up some but my weekly shopping bill is higher more due to my choices. I changed my diet about four months ago. The pandemic and supply chain problems are a bigger issue than prices in my case. Most things that I buy have not gone up in price by any significant amount, if at all.

If you have a house full of hungry kids or chose to buy a gas guzzler, you might notice increased prices more.

Old 11-25-2021, 02:25 PM

20,843 posts, read 8,673,442 times
I will just start doing more baking and freezing. It heats up the place during cold weather so that is a bonus.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:27 PM

18,568 posts, read 15,660,169 times
I am living so far below my means I don't notice any of this stuff. Saving almost 50% of my income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies