Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 10:14 PM

33,412 posts, read 12,714,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Everyone is impacted unless you don’t eat or put gas in your car.

But at least we don’t have to read mean tweets, right libs?
You're right about cars, but not food.

All of the things in my diet stayed exactly the same in cost except for one, which went down...a staple where HEB used to be the same as Walmart, but HEB dropped their price...perhaps as a loss leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 10:58 PM

18,256 posts, read 17,016,162 times
One of our favorite Chinese takeout restaurants has raised their prices from about $12 a dish to $19. That's for a container about 3 x 7 x 1 inch deep. Our Thanksgiving dinner was $83 for 4 dishes. No tip!

Old 11-25-2021, 11:01 PM

32,221 posts, read 15,204,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
One of our favorite Chinese takeout restaurants has raised their prices from about $12 a dish to $19. That's for a container about 3 x 7 x 1 inch deep. Our Thanksgiving dinner was $83 for 4 dishes. No tip!
You didn’t leave a tip??? That’s horrible. Don’t expect people to make food for you then. Make it yourself.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:17 PM

7,381 posts, read 4,723,496 times
Locally food and gas are definitely higher. My biggest surprise is that while vet and dental care has always been expensive in Nevada it’s doubled in a year. My dogs dentals usually cost 300 if no teeth needed to be pulled and this year it was 600. My dental care is also double.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:

It was takeout.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:07 PM

Americans already on the brink of survival will be pushed over the edge by these price hikes.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:02 PM

53,220 posts, read 34,992,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Everyone is impacted unless you don’t eat or put gas in your car.
or don't have money on the bank that's rapidly losing value..
people keep forgetting that fact.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 1,259,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
To say it hasn't impacted you at all cannot possibly be true. Prices are up.....you are purchasing said items thus you are spending more of your money on that purchase than you were 6 months ago. Maybe you didn't change your spending habits and maybe it's not a big deal to you financially, but it is an impact. Maybe it's $100 less a month that you would normally save, but it's an impact. My spending habits haven't changed, but I can be honest here and admit there are times when i go to buy something, say a cup of coffee from Dunkin, and am shocked that the price went up $.50 from a few months ago. I still buy it, but it still affects me. It's $.50 less than I had before.

For those that paid down debt, refinanced, etc great for you and smart things to do. However, that doesn't answer the question of whether the higher prices affect you. You lowered your monthly expenses, but some of that, albeit maybe not a lot, is getting eaten up by the increased costs.
When people say impacted they mean affecting their life.If the pack of Skittles goes up 5 cents and I eat Skittles once a month if you want to get technical it "impacts" me to the tune of 5 cents a month but in reality their is no Impact.

I probably drive 10k miles a year.ive noticed increased gas prices and increased food prices but they aren't changing my life or chocies in the least bit. I realize I'm fortunate for this as I know people who are definitely struggling with these increases.

The op asked us if these increases impacted us individually not on a whole.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:55 PM

2,335 posts, read 821,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
When people say impacted they mean affecting their life.If the pack of Skittles goes up 5 cents and I eat Skittles once a month if you want to get technical it "impacts" me to the tune of 5 cents a month but in reality their is no Impact.

I probably drive 10k miles a year.ive noticed increased gas prices and increased food prices but they aren't changing my life or chocies in the least bit. I realize I'm fortunate for this as I know people who are definitely struggling with these increases.

The op asked us if these increases impacted us individually not on a whole.
Correct, and if the "net" difference is the same or negligible, then it really hasn't impacted their life.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:32 AM

2,335 posts, read 821,013 times
Quote:
It was takeout.
Most people I know generally tip at least 10% for take out. I think it was more generous at the heart of the pandemic.

As for the prices going up on that restaurant, you were under no obligation to buy if you felt it was overpriced. Not to mention, for that increase, they could have bumped up an employee's pay $1 an hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies