Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:55 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,241,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Don't you mean YOUR family?

At least learn proper sentence structure/word usage if you plan on insulting me with more nonsense. LOL
1) It was a typo so therefore I must be wrong. Grats on your victory.

2) I wasn't insulting you. I was reminding you of what you should already know. No one on this forum cares about you, and neither does 99% of the people you see IRL.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:20 AM

1,952 posts, read 837,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
1) It was a typo so therefore I must be wrong. Grats on your victory.

2) I wasn't insulting you. I was reminding you of what you should already know. No one on this forum cares about you, and neither does 99% of the people you see IRL.

But I am right about Obama being a divider and NOT a uniter.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:39 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,926,948 times
I disagree wholeheartedly. I am white and was born in the early 80’s. I grew up in a diverse suburb and had friends of all races growing up. Some of my closest high school friends (still great friends to this day) were black. But there has always been an unspoken tension.

I remember in the 90s in Maryland where I grew up, going with my mom into a suburban car shop, and there was KKK brochures sitting out next to magazines. Going to college in the early 2000’s there was a good amount of racial tension. I heard the N word thrown around at frat parties, and a fellow black freshman was called the N word and attacked at a frat party. A group of us stood up for him and fought the frat kids. I also witnessed a black kid get called the N word by a white guy over a parking lot dispute. Many of the black students would not hang out with white people either, and the few who did were branded as “sellouts.” There were a long list of racial incidents/tensions I witnessed in college.

I first started to really feel the division during the Obama era. But I think that is in part because that was when social media really started to become prominent. I really think the tension and divisiveness between blacks and whites were taken to another level during the Trump, again in large part because I’d the continued proliferation of social media. I honestly don’t think it’s any worse now than when it was during the Trump era.

The most tension is always between Blacks and Whites. Asians and Hispanics, while they have had tensions with other groups, it is not like the type of tension between blacks and whites. Many Asians and Hispanics can be in interracial relationships with Whites and few will blink an eye. But there is an unspoken awkwardness when blacks and whites are in interracial relationships, if they walk into a restaurant or in public. I wish it were not that way, but it is. As you already know, this tension stems back to the history of slavery in this country.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:41 AM

20,237 posts, read 9,149,661 times
Obama and Biden have set race relations back to the fifties.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:57 PM

73,185 posts, read 62,892,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. I am white and was born in the early 80’s. I grew up in a diverse suburb and had friends of all races growing up. Some of my closest high school friends (still great friends to this day) were black. But there has always been an unspoken tension.

I remember in the 90s in Maryland where I grew up, going with my mom into a suburban car shop, and there was KKK brochures sitting out next to magazines. Going to college in the early 2000’s there was a good amount of racial tension. I heard the N word thrown around at frat parties, and a fellow black freshman was called the N word and attacked at a frat party. A group of us stood up for him and fought the frat kids. I also witnessed a black kid get called the N word by a white guy over a parking lot dispute. Many of the black students would not hang out with white people either, and the few who did were branded as “sellouts.” There were a long list of racial incidents/tensions I witnessed in college.

I first started to really feel the division during the Obama era. But I think that is in part because that was when social media really started to become prominent. I really think the tension and divisiveness between blacks and whites were taken to another level during the Trump, again in large part because I’d the continued proliferation of social media. I honestly don’t think it’s any worse now than when it was during the Trump era.

The most tension is always between Blacks and Whites. Asians and Hispanics, while they have had tensions with other groups, it is not like the type of tension between blacks and whites. Many Asians and Hispanics can be in interracial relationships with Whites and few will blink an eye. But there is an unspoken awkwardness when blacks and whites are in interracial relationships, if they walk into a restaurant or in public. I wish it were not that way, but it is. As you already know, this tension stems back to the history of slavery in this country.

I'm Black and I was born in the mid 1980s. I lived in several different places. Some diverse. Some predominantly White. I grew up in a 85-90% White suburb outside of Atlanta (actually, it was more like an exurb). I've never been much of a "tribalistic" type. I'd hang out with anyone regardless of race.

Interesting you mentioned a KKK brochure. I never saw any. However, I did see a KKK business card (and the address listed was in Indiana). One place my mother worked at, she saw that card, brought it home to show us kids at the time (around 1999/2000). I saw my father get harassed by the police a few times (the police would sometimes speak to him as if he was some kind of a threat, while I was in the car with him). I noticed the division in middle school (late 1990s) when I got called the N word a few times. It took on a whole other meaning in high school. I went to high school in the 2000s. I remember getting called the "N" word. I remember some kids threatening to hang me. I remember racial tensions going up over the Confederate flag issue. This is when the racial division became especially palpable. In my high school (which was 85-90% White at the time), White kids sat mostly with White kids at lunch. Most of the Black kids (when I was a freshman, Blacks were 7% of the student body. In my senior year, Blacks were 13% of the student body) sat with each other. In all of that, I was the kind of kid who had trouble fitting in, for most situations. I caught all kinds of crime from both White kids and Black kids, for different reasons. Being nerdy, bookish, ​I went wherever I was shown love.

In college, I didn't see nearly as much racial tension. It was there, but not to the same level I saw in college. And some of the stuff I dealt with from some college students was more mealy-mouthed, below the surface stuff. I did encounter a few students who made racial jokes directed at me. There were some unspoken things I saw. Fraternities were somewhat segregated. The fraternities were either mostly White or mostly Black. I was never into fraternities at all. College was a mixed bag. I saw examples of people, of different ethnicities coming together and embracing one another. At the same time, I saw examples of people sticking to their own. When it came to interracial couples, this is what I noticed. It was not uncommon to see Hispanic females with White males. It was not uncommon to see Asian females with White males. It was relatively rare to see Blacks in interracial relationships. There was a certain awkwardness when it came to Black/White interracial relationships. But it didn't end there. I rarely ever saw interracial couples that involved a Black person with any non-Black minority.

I worked at a restaurant that was staffed mainly by Hispanics. I got along with some of the staff (in particular the cooks). I also got bullied alot on the job, some of it of a racial nature. I also got in a fight. After about a month, I quit that job. On the flip side, plenty of Hispanic individuals that I went college with, whom I got along with quite well.

The tensions, from my own experiences, vary. I seen plenty of it between Blacks and Whites. Between Whites and Hispanics it goes back and forth. I tend to notice that it's mainly been Blacks vs everyone else. That is just what I've come to see over the last decade. I think the tensions have always been there. I noticed it as an adolescent in the late 1990s.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Yep, divide and concur.
I disagree. Based on what I have personally seen, and the posts I saw here during that time period, I don't think race relations were better during the Trump administration. Of course, your username, to me, indicates some bias in favor of Trump.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:28 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,603,198 times
Relationship is the same now as it was when he was power. You are not going to convince anybody of the lie you are trying to sell at all. Blacks folks know the contempt the right naturally has for us. I mean there is contempt from both sides of the political spectrum, but the right has set the standard in that regard. Nice try with this post though, at least you tried!!

Old 11-24-2021, 06:07 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,805,583 times
The "Brandon Adminstration" has seeded hate amoung the blacks and whites and they will continue to do so.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:15 PM

40,995 posts, read 49,376,729 times
This is Obama's 3rd term.

This all started with Obama.

The Media is complicit and drives the train.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:35 AM

Race relations weren't better under Trump. And no, I don't think they are better under Biden. All I see are some individuals who wish Trump was still in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies