Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 02:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

yawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 02:52 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Here's the reality: if COVID is here to stay then society is done.
Then you better go back into your basement, because COVID mutations will be here forever.

Not even the flu or common cold have a cure. And both can kill you.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:31 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Society is not done. Here in flyover country we are over the democrat stupidity. No pandemic fear mongering, unnecessary over-reactions to this virus, masking up kids in schools (ridiculous) or any of the other nonsense some of them refuse to stop peddling.

We will create a self sustaining society here if the rest of the world has lost their minds and wants to overreact forever to this manufactured pandemic. Literally nobody under age 30 has anything to fear from this virus, and the vast majority under 50 as well.

This is literally statist nannies and their big pharma cronies destroying our society, doing more damage than covid itself ever would have. By causing billions of masks to end up in the oceans and overall ecosystem, they are destroying the environment also, for a virus that kills hardly anyone who's in their prime.

Consider it was spreading around the United States between November 2019 and February 2020 before we even knew what it was, and society went on just fine without all this stupidity. It's time to wash our hands of these statists once and for all, and strip them of their power to do further damage with mandate this, lockdown that. Get your booster (or not) and shut up and let people live their lives as they please.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:10 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
n95 only works in stopping respiratory droplets, it does not stop aerosols.
Agreed ^^. And therefore, N95 masks "reduce the viral load" (the droplets). And the droplets are where the largest load transmission happens. So N95 mask help reduce the transmission by reducing the total viral load, but the N95 barrier doesn't stop aerosols.

The only question remaining is, does it reduce COVID-19 dramatically or barely?? But it factually reduces the load. Now, if a couple of aerosol particles is enough to transmit COVID-19, then we can easily conclude that the masks are worthless. But if the transmission is related to a load (that seems really obvious to me), then they help.

Note: if a couple of aerosol particles gave us COVID-19, the virus spread would be MUCH more rampant! And more than a few studies have shown how MUCH viral load you get from someone infected can impact also impact how sick you get. If true, then even if you got COVID wearing a mask, for some people, their impact would be reduced. I underlined some because obviously, folks can be asymptomatic and others that get COVID (young and well-tuned immune systems) COVID 19 isn't a big deal at all. So for me, I play the odds. When I see big surges around me, I will wear an N95 to the store and dine outside. Right now in AZ, I don't bother (and I am vaxxed with a booster). But if I was in MN, I would wear a N95 in the store and dodge eating inside. Basically, my goal is to stay out of the ICU or get severely sick. I don't want Long-Haul COVID.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Did you read that study? The formula used has a dependence on time. In their study, 1 cycle was 30 minutes.

So at 0.1 micrometers, 30 minutes, there was between 1-2% penetration. So multiple by 20 (10 hour flight) and you get between 20-40% penetration. Of course, penetration won't be linear, but this is an example of why these masks don't work for ideal conditions.
Bad example with a 10-hour air flight. The air is HEPA filtered. Even better, the ultra-cool high thin air in the sky is combined and heated over with the 1000 degree engine temps.

So I have no concerns with the air on a plane. A mask is to help block your coughing or spitting neighbor. And if I bother to put on a mask, it might as well be a well-fitted N95 (not a POS KN95 which will suffocate me).

Old 12-07-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Plague is bacterial. Yersinia pestis.

IMO Covid 19 will evolve like Influenza and remain endemic. The Omicron variant as of today is still looking benign enough that it could be the beginning of the end the acute phase of this pandemic.
From what I have heard from those closest to the research, this has always been a 3-year problem. Fingers crossed on the latest variant being benign. Couple that with some of the new therapeutics due out soon, and I won't be thinking a lot about COVID-19.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
RSA authorities say that hospital admissions are going up by 40% per day with 75-80% of those hospitalized unvaccinated - with a focus on children. That does not seem too encouraging for a "mild" variant and reinforces the need for people to get fully (three shot mRNA) vaccinated to limit this outbreak to what our health care system can handle.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
RSA authorities say that hospital admissions are going up by 40% per day with 75-80% of those hospitalized unvaccinated - with a focus on children. That does not seem too encouraging for a "mild" variant and reinforces the need for people to get fully (three shot mRNA) vaccinated to limit this outbreak to what our health care system can handle.
I'm waiting for: "More fake news". "Only 0.1% death rate." "The government is controlling us because never let a crisis go to waste". "All we need is IVM and vitamin D". "All government agencies are lying". etc etc.

Back to reality. you talked about kids. Statistically, kids who are landing up in the ICU are chubby. Or to a lesser degree, kids had previous respiratory problems. As I posted before, our ER doc son has been doing some Ped's ICU rotations (he is doing his residency). That's exactly who is coming into the ICU with COVID.

So set down that PlayStation and go out and play. Parents, stop feeding your kids fatty foods and learn how to parent! And that means, don't let them eat those WORTHLESS school lunches. We are where we are for a reason.

From a study with 3 million ICU patients [/i] https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2780708
[i]"Although a number of underlying conditions were associated with hospitalization, children with type 1 diabetes, obesity, and cardiac and circulatory congenital anomalies had the highest risk of hospitalization." They just described fat kids.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:23 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Some interesting news this morning: omicron variant was found in samples taken from 8 of 39 Houston wastewater treatment plants. That is pretty strong evidence the omicron is already well established in the US.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:47 AM

17,416 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Some interesting news this morning: omicron variant was found in samples taken from 8 of 39 Houston wastewater treatment plants. That is pretty strong evidence the omicron is already well established in the US.
And yet, the CDC still says Delta is 99.9% of the Covid cases in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies