Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 11:56 AM

11,987 posts, read 5,318,348 times

Advertisements

https://kfdm.com/news/local/state-sa...me-from-avenue

I thought that the Republican Party was all about local control?

Old 11-26-2021, 11:57 AM

47,036 posts, read 26,117,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

Why would anyone think that?

Old 11-26-2021, 12:04 PM

21,239 posts, read 19,850,185 times
Jefferson Davis was a Democrat. The Republicans should order the removal of anything to do with the slavery-loving Democratic Party.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:15 PM

3,344 posts, read 1,974,830 times
Quote:

Yeah well there's a whole lotta stuff about Republicans and conservatives that Democrats are just simply too unintelligent to understand. Hence the pink hats and phony outrage and crocodile tears over everything 24/7/365.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:31 PM

1,300 posts, read 965,452 times
Amidst all of the silly renaming's and statue removals, this is a GOOD and appropriate renaming. The traitor Jefferson Davis shouldn't be honored anywhere.

From the article:

" Alabama’s capital city last month removed the Confederate president’s name from an avenue and renamed it after a lawyer known for his work during the civil rights movement.

Now the state attorney general says the city must pay a fine or face a lawsuit for violating a state law protecting Confederate monuments and other longstanding memorials.

Montgomery last month changed the name of Jeff Davis Avenue to Fred D. Gray Avenue. Gray, who grew up on that same street, represented Rosa Parks and others in cases that fought Deep South segregation practices and was dubbed by Martin Luther King Jr. as “the chief counsel for the protest movement.” "

Old 11-26-2021, 02:34 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,318,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Jefferson Davis was a Democrat. The Republicans should order the removal of anything to do with the slavery-loving Democratic Party.
I would be fine with that, but the truth is it’s Republicans coming to the rescue of Confederate statues, not Democrats. Many of today’s “Republicans” identify with Jefferson Davis more than Abraham Lincoln. Not so with today’s Democrats. The rebel flag waving Democrats of yesteryear are a mainstay of the modern GOP.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:59 PM

73,143 posts, read 62,835,394 times
Quote:

It is, as long as those controls don't affect certain things. I currently live in the South. To me, most of the Republican politicians are pro-Confederate flag, and pro-Confederate statue. I hate the Confederate flag and Confederate statues. I've had a deep hatred for that crap since I was a teenager. I've voted Republican on a national level (back in 2004), but on the local level, I find myself at odds with many local GOP politicians, especially on issues like the Confederate flag. To me it's Confederate propaganda. And being a Black man, I have ever reason to be in favor of Confederate flags/Confederate statues being taken down. I have every reason to want places with Confederate names renamed.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:02 PM

19,303 posts, read 17,182,600 times
Quote:
You need to realize that the parties have changed over the last 160 years, but modern politics aside..
Does the state desire to enshrine what many few as a traitor and a vile chapter in our history or allow
communities to decide what will be represented. A street named for Davis is not very unique and I am
sure that his name is still represented in a multitude of ways in the state.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:03 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,334,451 times
Quote:

We have plenty of republican "good ole boys" around here that use unfair bullying tactics by lining city councils to stifle competition. No party or individual is immune to human nature. People often say one thing and do another. It is what it is.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:07 PM

4,446 posts, read 1,732,292 times
Quote:
I agree. So let's get rid of all the Confeder, err, democratic monuments from the 1800s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies