Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 09:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Doesn’t Florida have more cases and more deaths from covid overall, by a significance amount? I think I remember that they are ranked #3 despite being one of the states that had a later outbreak with more knowledge of how to fight it.
Again a 50% higher percentage of elderly than New York. oh I know what it is. You obviously don't know how is at risk. Guess what, it's the elderly.

Quote:
I am not sure why you think Florida has done such an amazing job. The numbers don’t point to that conclusion at all.
I am not sure why you are making things up?

Quote:
Also, in ny, there is testing everywhere. Even on street corners, every few blocks in midtown. This is not the situation in Florida. So I would not compare positives as I am sure the testing is not equal.
Except you have no proof. You've made another baseless claim. As if Florida doesn't have enough places to test. lol
Well I was going to get tested but I have to walk 2 blocks to get tested. Sure wish I was in New York where I only have to walk 1 block.

Quote:
Florida does plenty right but not covid stuff. The numbers just don’t point to it.
Except you have no proof.

Not once did you address my post honestly. Not once did you say anything about the proof which was laid out for anyone without a twisted agenda to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 09:42 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
I think it is pretty much equal now. You may be right about nursing home deaths but Florida doesn’t count nonresident deaths or positives. I personally know people who caught n Florida and died in NY (and NJ). And I know many nonresidents who caught in Florida. I know because I live in Florida a few months a year. So my numbers are from seeing what is going on in Florida and ny first hand.
Imo, there is no way anyone would conclude that Florida has done a great job. Unless you have some agenda about trying to make statistics appear that way.
Now, the effect of New York’s more constrained count has begun to show: The state’s official coronavirus death toll as of Wednesday was about 43,000, compared with the death toll of more than 54,000 compiled by the N.C.H.S., a subdepartment of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

New York is not alone: At least half of states, including big states like California and Texas, have publicly reported a lower number of deaths than the N.C.H.S. for different reasons.

But other states with lower death tolls were below the N.C.H.S. number by about 3,000 or fewer; nowhere is the gap between the reported deaths larger than the 11,000-death discrepancy in New York, according to a New York Times analysis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/n...ths-covid.html

So most if not all states fudge the numbers, but New York fudges a lot more.

And you once again make unfounded claims. Basing it on what YOU see vs the studies. I'm sure you see it, doesn't mean it is relevant

Old 11-27-2021, 09:46 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
I think it is pretty much equal now. You may be right about nursing home deaths but Florida doesn’t count nonresident deaths or positives. I personally know people who caught n Florida and died in NY (and NJ). And I know many nonresidents who caught in Florida. I know because I live in Florida a few months a year. So my numbers are from seeing what is going on in Florida and ny first hand.
Imo, there is no way anyone would conclude that Florida has done a great job. Unless you have some agenda about trying to make statistics appear that way.
Florida is #9 in the USA, and NYS is #6. I guess close, but there is a difference.

I don't think COVID deaths are tabulated where the person caught the virus, just where they succumbed. It's basically impossible to ascertain where someone actually caught the virus. Incubation period is 2-14 days. Let's say someone caught the virus in NYS, comes down to Florida, begins to experience symptoms, flies back to NYS and dies. They might say they caught in Florida as that's where they began to feel symptoms and test + but in truth it was NYS.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:06 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Florida is #9 in the USA, and NYS is #6. I guess close, but there is a difference.

I don't think COVID deaths are tabulated where the person caught the virus, just where they succumbed. It's basically impossible to ascertain where someone actually caught the virus. Incubation period is 2-14 days. Let's say someone caught the virus in NYS, comes down to Florida, begins to experience symptoms, flies back to NYS and dies. They might say they caught in Florida as that's where they began to feel symptoms and test + but in truth it was NYS.
True. but ny counts all deaths. Not just resident deaths.
florida counts resident deaths only.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:13 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post

I'm looking at numbers not ranking. 295 v 285 is 3.4% difference which is not that significant. And I look at numbers all day long and that is where I am coming from.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:27 AM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
So there’s no difference in your view. Yet, Florida hasn’t had to put up with 2 years of “mitigation” nonsense with no end in sight like NY. Yes, Florida got it right. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:48 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
I don’t understand why these web sites have different numbers, but it is what it is. The CDC website paints a damning picture of NYC (which they carve out from NY state for some stats). Number of infected per 100k, 414. Higher than CA and FL.

To those who say Florida did a terrible job by remaining open, do you say NYC did good by closing down? Anyway you look at the stats, lockdowns are not effective.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:52 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why? It's even less fatal than Delta

Why? Lockdowns don't work
Where did you read that the Omicron is less fatal than the Delta?

Lockdowns work, Florida is proof with their history.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:53 AM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Where did you read that the Omicron is less fatal than the Delta?

Lockdowns work, Florida is proof with their history.
Everything you say about the pandemic and Florida is false.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:56 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I don’t understand why these web sites have different numbers, but it is what it is. The CDC website paints a damning picture of NYC (which they carve out from NY state for some stats). Number of infected per 100k, 414. Higher than CA and FL.

To those who say Florida did a terrible job by remaining open, do you say NYC did good by closing down? Anyway you look at the stats, lockdowns are not effective.
I would assume it's about reporting period but they should be close

This is a great source as are the state health sites.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Imagine what the toll would have been last year if NYC didn't put in restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies