Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 06:19 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

What an idiot!

The whole cabinet is loaded with idiots!

Elect a clown expect a circus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 06:24 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Anti-elitism and disdaining of “experts” identify this board for what it is.
as if "anti-elitism" is a bad thing.

I defer to EXPERTS in their field, when it's a field that I have no experience in.

An ELITIST is not by definition also an expert.

When "experts" go against on-the-ground realities, rely on theory rather than practice, and remain in their "elitist" world, then yes, I ignore those as well.

And IMO, we all should.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Tesla seems to be what everyone is focused on in this thread, but Tesla is not a good example of where the future is. Next year you will be seeing EVs from common names like Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, Honda in showrooms. In a few years they will be the bulk of new cars on the lot at all prices points and performance levels. Eventually it will be the poorer folks driving the traded in ICE mobiles and paying 10 bucks a gallon for scarce gasoline like the pay for banned refrigerant now. We'll all be talking kilowatts and battery tech tossing around the new terms like we do with computers today that seemed so new only 20 years ago.
I thought you said you'd probably never have an EV?

Good for thee, but not for me?

Old 11-29-2021, 06:35 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That’s a 150.

If that poster uses a truck for what he says, a 150 probably won’t do.
It's brand new. So you're thinking they're not going to build a 250 and 350 versions? Why wouldn't they? Locomotives use electric motors, so I think they can power any size truck you can come up with.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'm a big proponent of hydrogen fuel celled electric vehicles. They work like a diesel locomotive where the diesel engines are just a generator for the electric motors on the wheels. In an HFC, hydrogen is burned to generate electricity and charge the batteries as you go along. It takes only 5 minutes to refuel an HFC vehicle and much of our existing pipe system could be converted to move hydrogen to our existing gas stations. There are a couple HFC vehicles from Toyota on the market now and several companies are developing them for over the road trucking.

I don't think my fav is going to be the winning tech though. For one, battery EVs are what everyone is talking about - its like betamax vs vhs. But the bigger problem is that while hydrogen burns to only water and oxygen, it has to come from somewhere and right now that somewhere is natural gas. As a by-product of that CO2 is released and that is the problem we are trying to address in the first place. We could also get it from water, but that takes a good deal of energy and the equation is not all that favorable.
umm, you don't own one, so how big of a proponent can you be?

Old 11-29-2021, 06:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,364 times
I think this underscores one of the problems with Dems, they don't understand rural America and rural America doesn't trust the Dems. Electric cars in rural America is not a terrible idea, but have someone from rural America make the pitch.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:44 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Anti-elitism and disdaining of “experts” identify this board for what it is.
“None of our men are 'experts.' We have most unfortunately found it necessary to get rid of a man as soon as he thinks himself an expert because no one ever considers himself expert if he really knows his job. A man who knows a job sees so much more to be done than he has done, that he is always pressing forward and never gives up an instant of thought to how good and how efficient he is. Thinking always ahead, thinking always of trying to do more, brings a state of mind in which nothing is impossible. The moment one gets into the 'expert' state of mind a great number of things become impossible.”- Henry Ford

Old 11-29-2021, 06:46 PM

17,409 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
It's brand new. So you're thinking they're not going to build a 250 and 350 versions? Why wouldn't they? Locomotives use electric motors, so I think they can power any size truck you can come up with.
They’re not.

https://www.motor1.com/news/550700/f...ic-super-duty/

Old 11-29-2021, 06:47 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Idiot. He has no clue what he is talking about.

Yes, rural living tends to be more spread out.
More “miles” driven. Whatever.
But, rural is less populated, less drivers on the road. Most rural commuters are driving “highway” miles. Meaning, they are doing a consistent speed, which is where most vehicles are most efficient.

Urban drivers may travel less distance, debatable actually, because many commuters travel from the burbs into the major metro areas, but whatever.
It’s far more people and vehicles on the road. Add in traffic. Stop and go is where vehicles are least efficient and produce the most emissions. For example, in the NYC metro area, a commuter will average 45 minutes to 2+ hours each way, every day, commuting from Long Island. Times that by the thousands and thousands of daily commuters, PLUS supply deliveries on the roads all day long. Rural areas don’t even come anywhere remotely close to the commercial traffic on a daily basis.

This guy is an idiot making uniformed assumptions and opinions.
Rural driving is nowhere near, infinitely nowhere near urban and suburban driving.

No fair using actual real world logic 'n stuff........

Old 11-29-2021, 06:57 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
You of course understand that we are talking the future here. I doubt I will ever own a EV, but my kids will and my grandkids will likely never have anything else. There was a time when horses worked the fields, just as there will be a time when people will remember diesel tractors (not as fondly). Times change. EVs are three times as efficient as heat engines. They can produce ungodly amounts of torque and horsepower in a light weight package. Electric motors already move so much in your life from conveyor belts and elevators to railroad locomotives.

Implementation challenges? You bet. But, the technology is evolving by the day. The future is EVs in the cities, in the burbs and on the farm. How much they penetrate your world depends on how old the "old" in Oldhag is. . Eventually, the transition will be almost total.

They may produce a lot of power but.....

Something just isn't the same.

There's nothing like driving a real V8 muscle car.

Or riding a V-Twin Harley.

It's like the difference between digital and analog music.

It all looks good on paper, but when it gets between your ears, something is missing.

Call it soul, or however you want to describe it....

But an Internal Combustion Engine is just a more visceral, seat of the pants experience.

I kinda feel bad for our grandkids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies