Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 10:18 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times

Advertisements

In my state and I suspect others county data tell the story: older folks in the cities and suburbs are vaccinated nearly 100% while the rural elderly are way, way behind. That is the story of the pandemic now too - upstate New York, rural Michigan are examples of the places where the cases and deaths are. I can sort of see younger people willing to take the risk, but people over 65 who refuse vaccination are just plain stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 10:27 AM

19,850 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In my state and I suspect others county data tell the story: older folks in the cities and suburbs are vaccinated nearly 100% while the rural elderly are way, way behind. That is the story of the pandemic now too - upstate New York, rural Michigan are examples of the places where the cases and deaths are. I can sort of see younger people willing to take the risk, but people over 65 who refuse vaccination are just plain stupid.
Depends on circumstances. In my rural county with an an average age of 53 (38 is the national average), there have been 35 "COVID deaths" out of a population of 30,000 in the approximate 20 months since records were kept. Do the math.

I have known ONE person who got a very mild case of COVID a year ago. She was and is 70-something and has fully recovered except that her sense of taste is still a little "off", she says.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Depends on circumstances. In my rural county with an an average age of 53 (38 is the national average), there have been 35 "COVID deaths" out of a population of 30,000 in the approximate 20 months since records were kept. Do the math.

I have known ONE person who got a very mild case of COVID a year ago. She was and is 70-something and has fully recovered except that her sense of taste is still a little "off", she says.
It does not matter where one lives. Covid will find everyone no matter how rural their home. Omicron may change the rate of infection, but there remain three possible outcomes for covid. Vaccination, recovery, or death. Age greatly increases the probably of the latter

Old 12-10-2021, 10:53 AM

19,850 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
It does not matter where one lives. Omicron may change the rate of infection, but there remain three possible outcomes for covid. Vaccination, recovery, or death. Age greatly increases the probably of the latter
I think you are overlooking the fact that the chance of many rural shut-ins don't have much of a risk of getting COVID at all. My husband and I have been living life as though there is no danger from COVID since June 2020. Yes, maybe we have been lucky, but as we go out in public only once or twice a week and don't interact with anyone for more than a few minutes, we will continue to be unvaccinated.

I allow others the right to do what they want, and I just wish others would give me the same right.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:53 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,801,780 times
Quote:
It does not matter where one lives. Covid will find everyone no matter how rural their home. Omicron may change the rate of infection, but there remain three possible outcomes for covid. Vaccination, recovery, or death. Age greatly increases the probably of the latter
Age greatly increases the probability of death by any cause, not just covid.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Age greatly increases the probability of death by any cause, not just covid.
Yup. But most elderly people have the sense god gave them to mitigate the risk of those causes they can control. They take blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, get flu shots, and shingles shots, and vaccinated for 23 kinds of pneumonia. The also get vaccinated and boosted for covid. Some don't. Adios.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:11 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,587,323 times
Quote:

Vaccination is not an "outcome" of covid. It is, however, often a result of coercion.

Let's look at the actual possible outcomes of catching covid:

1: Recover 99% chance

2: Don't recover 1% chance

Item #1 would be made even better with effective therapeutics.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:15 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,801,780 times
Quote:
Yup. But most elderly people have the sense god gave them to mitigate the risk of those causes they can control. They take blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, get flu shots, and shingles shots, and vaccinated for 23 kinds of pneumonia. The also get vaccinated and boosted for covid. Some don't. Adios.
And generally healthy people, even in old age, don't need to pump themselves full of pharmaceuticals.

And even at the greatly increased probability of death due to old age, if they're not fat or already sick with something else their baseline chances of survival are extremely high.

Maybe the Healthcare establishment needs to actually look into treatment options instead of chasing their tails trying to prevent people from getting the disease.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:44 AM

7,161 posts, read 4,754,500 times
Quote:
I live in Chicagoland. I know at least 10-15 seniors who have never gotten the shot, never will, and never had Covid unless it was completely asymptomatic. So if they get omicron it’ll be more mild than a cold. Some people will never get Covid.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:47 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,122,273 times
Quote:
You can remove vaccination from that list. Your options are Recovery or death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies