Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 06:16 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yep. Everything eventually rebalances. Unless government outright controls everything. Which is where we are heading.
It would impact retirees living on pension incomes and social security in a very negative way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
"we let companies charge those prices"

A little bit about capitalism. If consumers stop buying products at higher price points, corporations lower prices.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:32 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Stop with this nonsense. McDonalds workers in Denmark make $22/hr, get six weeks vacation as well as retirement benefits, and a Big Mac costs LESS than it does in the US. Our prices are high because we let companies charge those prices.

If you really think McDonalds needs to raise the price of a Big Mac to cover costs of higher wages, you're buying way too much into the propaganda.
https://archives.cjr.org/the_audit/t..._the_danis.php

The Big Mac and other assorted items actually cost more in Denmark, the numbers where it cost less were cherry picked during a time of a very strong dollar so it was an exchange rate issue.

Additionally, the taxation there is much flatter so citing gross pay is one thing and when you cite NET of tax pay they're a lot more in line with what people in the US currently make which is $14 or more outside of very low cost areas.

In short, you're regurgitating bad talking points while hilariously complaining about propaganda.

Basic economics disputes all of your claims.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:40 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
A little bit about capitalism. If consumers stop buying products at higher price points, corporations lower prices.
O.k....if raising the minimum wage causes the cost of products to go up and then, as consumers, we boycott those products what exactly do you think happens to the employee's jobs? If it costs too much to do business in a certain area, employers will pull up stake and move where the grass is a whole lot greener.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:44 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Assuming prior market equilibrium....only in the short term.

Oil production and gas prices is a classic example of this....when demand falls they don't just keep production the same.

P.S. Have you ever worked in any capacity setting prices for corporations? I have for decades, it's rather straightforward math taking into account costs and profit margins. Many of the comments in this thread are clearly being made by people with no idea what they are talking about that have been suckered by politicians, reddit memes and innumerate media hacks.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
https://archives.cjr.org/the_audit/t..._the_danis.php

The Big Mac and other assorted items actually cost more in Denmark, the numbers where it cost less were cherry picked during a time of a very strong dollar so it was an exchange rate issue.

Additionally, the taxation there is much flatter so citing gross pay is one thing and when you cite NET of tax pay they're a lot more in line with what people in the US currently make which is $14 or more outside of very low cost areas.

In short, you're regurgitating bad talking points while hilariously complaining about propaganda.

Basic economics disputes all of your claims.
Incorrect. I actually looked up the price of big macs immediately before posting, so your claim that its only more "in times of a strong dollar" is wrong. For the rest, let's use your numbers. If you're arguing federal minimum wage should be $14/hr while guaranteeing six weeks vacation, health care and a pension for minimum wage workers, I support that 100%. The simple fact is there is no evidence that raising minimum wage causes any meaningful increase in consumer prices.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:53 PM

6,672 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
O.k....if raising the minimum wage causes the cost of products to go up and then, as consumers, we boycott those products what exactly do you think happens to the employee's jobs? If it costs too much to do business in a certain area, employers will pull up stake and move where the grass is a whole lot greener.

One of my first entry jobs was as a cashier for Christmas help. If they didn't have cashiers I'd be screwed out of that. Once I got "in" I did well and they kept me on Full-Time. Moved into the other depts, worked my way up. That was in the early 90's.

Now, Most of the fast food places around me have gotten rid of cashiers and have these touch screen kiosks.
Do everything there, or on an App, and simply pick up your order.

The old ways of entry are disappearing. But with technology and internet it can be easier to search and land jobs nowadays if you are willing. No more riding a bike and dropping off paper applications

Old 12-12-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Assuming prior market equilibrium....only in the short term.

Oil production and gas prices is a classic example of this....when demand falls they don't just keep production the same.

P.S. Have you ever worked in any capacity setting prices for corporations? I have for decades, it's rather straightforward math taking into account costs and profit margins. Many of the comments in this thread are clearly being made by people with no idea what they are talking about that have been suckered by politicians, reddit memes and innumerate media hacks.
I am currently a VP for a fortune 200 corporation (I've mentioned my background multiple times in the past on this forum). I have more experience with financials in corporations than most. I understand how little impact the draw from profitability for a minimum wage increase would have on stock prices.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:57 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Incorrect. I actually looked up the price of big macs immediately before posting, so your claim that its only more "in times of a strong dollar" is wrong. For the rest, let's use your numbers. If you're arguing federal minimum wage should be $14/hr while guaranteeing six weeks vacation, health care and a pension for minimum wage workers, I support that 100%. The simple fact is there is no evidence that raising minimum wage causes any meaningful increase in consumer prices.
You're wrong. The US and Denmark have different economies. You're seriously comparing a country of like, 2 million with a massive country of 330 million?

In almost all cases, a rise in the minimum wage without a commensurate rise in productivity generally leads to higher consumer prices. Pure and Simple. I was in South Korea when they raised the minimum wage 70% over 4 years. You're god damn right the cost of living rose across the board. I left that country specifically because it got too expensive.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
In almost all cases, a rise in the minimum wage without a commensurate rise in productivity generally leads to higher consumer prices.
Productivity in the US is rising. People are calling for minimum wage to be raised for that reason. That's literally the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies