Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 07:12 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

No quite related yet - be careful.
We just had funeral yesterday of a 20 yo male. He found something he liked on Offerup. Went to meet seller 7pm in some trading center parking lot. Was shot dead, robbed and his car stolen. SO be very careful, who you let into your property/apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 07:13 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
You can read door dash drivers talking about their jobs here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/doordash_drivers/

Old 12-15-2021, 07:18 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
All these delivery services should be made illegal.

You know this country is near the end when so many people are either too stupid or too lazy to go get their own groceries or restaurant food.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They’re sub contractors.

They are doing their jobs.

As a sub, you get the pick the the jobs (deliveries) you take.
Indeed. Door Dash delivery drivers are independent contractors and free to choose assignments. They are not reimbursed for gas/ mileage.

It’s my understanding the rate paid is variable based on distance. I appreciate that drivers may not bid on a job, unless it’s worth their while.

In my neck of the woods, it’s common for students to engage in the Door Dash thing, using a parent’s car and gas. If kiddo was expected to pay for gas, it would not be a worthwhile gig.

I don’t use delivery services. If I did, I would tip accordingly.

In countries where tipping is uncommon, wages for what would be a tipped gig in the US are substantially higher and are a factor of consumer prices.

In the US, the Federal Minimum Wage for a tipped employee is $2.13/ hr. States can choose a higher Minimum. Many don’t.

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog...um-wage-rates/

The gap between state Minimum Wage and local cost of living is huge in some areas, like the Nashville metro area.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
All these delivery services should be made illegal.

You know this country is near the end when so many people are either too stupid or too lazy to go get their own groceries or restaurant food.
Conversely, one might infer that when enough folk don’t blink at paying others to perform services for them, it’s a sign of a good economy.

People pay others to perform all sorts of labor for them including but not limited to house cleaning, car washing, dining out, hair cutting, chauffeuring, tax accounting, landscaping/ fertilization, pool cleaning, home management, etc.

By the way, some folk been predicting “ near the end” for 245 years. The internet/ social media has enabled them to find each other to dwell on the end.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:51 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Yeah, I don't have a problem with this. I recently did a complete re-do of a wedding dress for someone who, when her dress came in, decided she hated it. To be fair, it looked like crap on her, and I felt sorry for her looking so awful in her dress, so I took the job. Never should have. I removed the top of the dress and made a completely new bodice based off a dress that fit her nicely and looked great on her. Not only did I not get a tip, when the mother-of-the-bride came to pick the dress up, the salesperson in the store made a point of gushing about how fabulous the dress looked and what a great job I'd done. The response? "Yes," says the mom. "It was a labor of love", then she walked out the door.

In hindsight I should never have taken the job. Not my problem that she ordered a dress that didn't fit. Live and learn, but I fully support not taking work you don't want if you don't have to. Next time, if I'm inclined to do extra work, I'll build my own "tip" into the price of the job.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:02 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Indeed. Door Dash delivery drivers are independent contractors and free to choose assignments. They are not reimbursed for gas/ mileage.

It’s my understanding the rate paid is variable based on distance. I appreciate that drivers may not bid on a job, unless it’s worth their while.

In my neck of the woods, it’s common for students to engage in the Door Dash thing, using a parent’s car and gas. If kiddo was expected to pay for gas, it would not be a worthwhile gig.

I don’t use delivery services. If I did, I would tip accordingly.

In countries where tipping is uncommon, wages for what would be a tipped gig in the US are substantially higher and are a factor of consumer prices.

In the US, the Federal Minimum Wage for a tipped employee is $2.13/ hr. States can choose a higher Minimum. Many don’t.

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog...um-wage-rates/

The gap between state Minimum Wage and local cost of living is huge in some areas, like the Nashville metro area.
I agree with you on tipping, but I think the issue is with the Door Dash app you can either tip up front or tip after the fact and some people (like myself) prefer to tip after the delivery. So if I put a $0 tip when I place my order some drivers will overlook it and I may not get my stuff even though I have every intention of tipping. I think this could easily be fixed if the app just calculated for drivers a standard tip amount (say 15%) in the amount they'll get for the ride and then allowing the customer to simply do nothing and accept the standard amount, or modify it up to an hour or so after the delivery.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:03 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
So these delivery drivers are supposed to spend their time and burn their own gas picking up and delivering food for you for free, huh? And they are the entitled ones?

Tip the danged drivers.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:13 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
The drivers might spit in your food if you get them angry or don't tip well.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:20 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Don't use them and they will be out of work. Easy enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies