Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 09:20 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,120,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Critical thinking, as we’re taught to do it, isn’t helping in the fight against misinformation.
Quote:
One way to combat this dynamic is to change how we teach media literacy: Internet users need to learn that our attention is a scarce commodity that is to be spent wisely.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/o...attention.html

Basically, they recommend you judge a source, turn off your brain, and go to "trusted" sources. What could go wrong?

It's an old piece. But it's a reminder the elites don't want you to think. Dismissing arguments due to the source is actually a logical fallacy.

Quote:
The genetic fallacy (also known as the fallacy of origins or fallacy of virtue)[1] is a fallacy of irrelevance that is based solely on someone's or something's history, origin, or source rather than its current meaning or context. This overlooks any difference to be found in the present situation, typically transferring the positive or negative esteem from the earlier context. In other words, a claim is ignored in favor of attacking or championing its source.
I see this on the forum all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 09:21 AM

43,156 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Probably funded by CNN

Old 12-15-2021, 09:24 AM

With this pandemic there are many stories that cite studies but rarely post a link to that study.
Go hunt down that study and read it and it's nowhere close to what the story says.

Case in point just the other day:

Someone posted a story about a study of the vaccine on pregnant women. Story said "safe and effective".
I read the study itself. They monitored antibodies in pregnant women for 4 months..Dec-March.

That says absolutely nothing about the vaccine being "safe" for pregnant women.
Where is the follow up to birth and 6 months-1 year later for the baby ????

FWTW that poster never came back with a reply to my comments about that study.

IMHO very few Americans go beyond the MSM stories. They don't think or question or verify.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:24 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,636,539 times
Pay wall = nope.

That said, it isn't just this forum that bases most/all debate/discussion 100% on fallacies...it's the entire national discourse.

Take any headline or story that isn't 100% just reporting facts like bullet points, and it's festival of poorly formed arguments based almost entirely on fallacy. This, along with every other forum in existence, simply mirrors that.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:33 AM

17,013 posts, read 12,605,196 times
Irony. Im not a conservative or a Republican. I do not consider the NYT a reliable news source.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:43 AM

Since early 2020 I've taken on the mantra from X-Files...."Trust No One"

Old 12-15-2021, 09:50 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,719,426 times
Anymore all "critical thinking" consists of is this ...

a) Something is reported

b) I don't like what is being reported.

c) I use my "critical thinking skills"

d) I determine that what is being reported is "fake news".

e) I then pat myself on the back for my "critical thinking skills" and my ability to "think for myself".

f) I eagerly await for the next piece of news that I don't like.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:54 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,175,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Anymore all "critical thinking" consists of is this ...

a) Something is reported

b) I don't like what is being reported.

c) I use my "critical thinking skills"

d) I determine that what is being reported is "fake news".

e) I then pat myself on the back for my "critical thinking skills" and my ability to "think for myself".

f) I eagerly await for the next piece of news that I don't like.

Yes, that’s become the definition of “critical thinking” for a lot of people these days.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:08 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,922 times
People no longer trust the media in general. And NYT contributed to that distrust. I will never read NYT again. It went down and will never recover its former reputation.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
People no longer trust the media in general. And NYT contributed to that distrust. I will never read NYT again. It went down and will never recover its former reputation.
NYT is a mouthpiece for the FedGov. Don't you remember a few years ago it was uncovered that some journalists were running their articles through the WH before publishing them ?

I think the Guardian exposed them during the Snowden timeframe.

And the WH just recently called all the MSM folks to a private meeting to discuss how the MSM can portray the economy and inflation in a positive light for the Biden administration. They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies