Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 11:33 AM

11,088 posts, read 6,037,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This doesn’t make sense — then why are the vast majority of those hospitalized the unvaxed??
They are? Not in my parts they aren't. 48% of covid hospitalizations are vaxxed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anyway, I think we all understand that even vaxxed people are at risk of omicron. Their risk is less than unvaxxed who are almost certain to get it should the wave continue, but it is still significant. What matters most now is who is going to get really sick and who is going to die. There is little question about that when it comes to vaxxed vs unvaxxed.
The bolded seems to be the case but it's not as clearcut as it would seem. My observations have been that the vax does nothing to prevent covid infection. It doesn't even seem to reduce the severity of the illness but then my sample size is too small to be significant except that other folks are reporting a similar observation. In a local covid outbreak cluster, one unvaxxed tested positive but was not sick, one vaxxed individual got sick from it and other vaxxed individuals tested positive but were not sick from it. And as I've mentioned above, 48% of hospitalization cases are vaxxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
90% of Covid hospitalizations in my state are unvaccinated.

The number is likely higher, given people lie.
I'm not seeing how lying can be a factor. Vaxx status is an official record. Also, that 90% is at odds with our own numbers. One wonders what could be going on there? Is that figure correct? Our figures are based on records and testing although it turns out that our covid deaths are being inflated (I've mentioned elsewhere how a motorcycle accident death was recorded as a covid death).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The chart indicates those who tested positive for Omicron not hospitalized. Even vaccinated can carry the virus.
Not only can but do. The covid passport can only help spread covid. Here, the unvaxxed are restricted from travel, requiring a negative test while the vaxxed are free to carry on, with or without covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 11:35 AM

7,500 posts, read 3,631,075 times
I said this in another thread, but I know 5 people personally who have been boosted and have a severe case of covid. No way in hell am I getting a booster, and yes, I understand that you shouldnt make healthcare decisions based on anecdotal stories, but for me no way

Old 12-24-2021, 11:56 AM

2,367 posts, read 914,757 times
From the linked article:
"Note that this is the probability of an infection being Omicron given a person is infected, so it doesn’t tell us how likely a person is to test positive in the first place."

So why is Omicron more prevalent than, say Delta, among the vaccinated (so called breakthrough infections), than it is among the unvaccinated?

My guess is the natural immune system of the unvaccinated fought off Omicron like kicking puppies but don't do as well with Delta. And for the vaccinated, the vaccine is not as effective against Omicron compared to Delta.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:15 PM

3,413 posts, read 3,461,493 times
When viruses mutate its only a matter of time before this virus is attracted to the vaccine.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:00 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
So why is Omicron more prevalent than, say Delta, among the vaccinated (so called breakthrough infections), than it is among the unvaccinated?

My guess is the natural immune system of the unvaccinated fought off Omicron like kicking puppies but don't do as well with Delta. And for the vaccinated, the vaccine is not as effective against Omicron compared to Delta.
If you read the study information, those that are vaccinated are doing better against all of the other variants so they are LESS likely to contract Delta, for instance. Percentage-wise, the unvaccinated are equally catching any/all circulating variants and not strictly Omicron.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:01 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
When viruses mutate its only a matter of time before this virus is attracted to the vaccine.
Viruses don't become "attracted to a vaccine." On what Youtube channel did you hear that? They adapt to learn how to evade any sort of immunity/antibodies you have.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:03 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,360,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Even I am surprised at this massive 4.5X difference. The charts are official and per latest UK data as far as I can tell.

https://dailysceptic.org/2021/12/22/...ed-data-shows/

Shazam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpBwt4hFN8

Old 12-24-2021, 01:14 PM

37,214 posts, read 41,447,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What it means is that if a vaccinated person gets infected, it is more likely to be the Omicron variant, not that the vaccinated are more likely to get infected than the vaccinated.
That should be unvaccinated.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:41 PM

2,367 posts, read 914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
If you read the study information, those that are vaccinated are doing better against all of the other variants so they are LESS likely to contract Delta, for instance. Percentage-wise, the unvaccinated are equally catching any/all circulating variants and not strictly Omicron.
No the data does not show that. There is no data on prevalence of each of the variants in the people who tested positive. Even if there is, say 25% each of Alpha, Beta, Delta, Omicron, you still cannot conclude that the infected are " equally catching all variants" because you don't know the prevalence of each variant out there.

The take away from the study is simply this, as stated in the article:

"The data from the ONS Infection Survey, while provisional, adds support to the claim that the Omicron variant has significant vaccine evading ability."

Old 12-24-2021, 02:17 PM

7,546 posts, read 11,604,960 times
And Vaxxed are more likely to die this thread is 150% BS

Just
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies