Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 06:53 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
More people die each year from obesity related health issues then all who've "died" from covid. If the government really cared about the public's health, they'd get tough on the "fatties".
Correct, if the government truly cared about saving lives, they would ban fat people, junk food, and smoking.

All smokes would be illegal and there would be scales in front of every grocery store and restaurant, so if you weigh over your recommended amount, you go to jail and are banned from the establishment.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:16 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Correct, if the government truly cared about saving lives, they would ban fat people, junk food, and smoking.

All smokes would be illegal and there would be scales in front of every grocery store and restaurant, so if you weigh over your recommended amount, you go to jail and are banned from the establishment.
Except for weed, of course.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:21 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

We all know the government doesn't care about saving lives.
The government should not be involved in our personal lives, our eating habits, smoking habits, drinking habits, lifestyle choices nor vaccination status for the flu.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:23 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then we can follow with, in no particular order:

smokers
drinkers
unsafe sex participants
fast drivers
ICE vehicle owners
old house owners
gardeners
people who don't wear their lifejackets in a boat
people who don't dress for the weather
Opiate users, people who use too much salt (me), those who don't get enough exercise, people who get hurt in recreational activities... Maybe we can just close hospitals completely???

Old 12-30-2021, 08:53 AM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
About as many times as "pro-vaxxers"* create threads trying to shame those of us who have not received the vaccines and patting yourselves on the back for being (supposedly) superior.

*And, again, MOST of us who are refusing the COVID vaccines are not against proven vaccines.
I'm vaccinated. I'm pro vax for ME, not pro vax for you or anyone else. You seem to be confused, you don't know the difference between vaccines that work and don't work. This vaccine works for many people but not all. You take your chances when you take any vaccine or medicine. Anti vaxers seem to want perfection. It doesn't exist in science and most importantly medicine.

Last edited by Greenvalleyfan; 12-30-2021 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-30-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
So are drug addicts, sportsmen, carpenters etc….
NEWS FLASH! those people are not filling up the ICU of hospitals. The unvaccinated are filling up the ICU of hospitals across the country, and unfortunately the #1 comorbidity at my local hospital is obesity. Sorry to throw facts and logic into a conversation...please tell me how a profession as a carpenter has ever turned into a pandemic or a comorbidity?

Old 12-30-2021, 09:35 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
I'm vaccinated. I'm pro vax for ME, not pro vax for you or anyone else. You seem to be confused, you don't know the difference between vaccines that work and don't work. This vaccine works for many people but not all. You take your chances when you take any vaccine or medicine. Anti vaxers seem to want perfection. It doesn't exist in science and most importantly medicine.
I dont think it has anything to do with wanting perfection but risk assessment.

On one hand you have a virus with a 98% survival rate, as much as 80% of cases are asymptomatic or 45% depending on the study, most people have mild or flu like symptoms, age and health play a dominant factor in symptoms and fatalities. On the other hand you have a rushed vaccine that is suspiciously and inconsistently pushed by the federal government. A vaccine that requires two shots, plus a booster, plus a booster....., and does not prevent infection nor transmission and has been known to cause severe health issues and death.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
If the Government treated the "fatties" like they do covid, they'd mandate that all "fatties" can only purchase $10 worth of food per day. They'd implement this by forcing those who fall into the "fatties" category to carry around with them a card which grocery stores, restaurants, and all other places of sources for food has to check to see when the last time and how much food they purchased last. They would probably even implant a chip into each "fatty" so reading the information could be done quick and easy, just like with the covid vaxx chip idea.

More people die each year from obesity related health issues then all who've "died" from covid. If the government really cared about the public's health, they'd get tough on the "fatties".

But you know why that won't ever happen? Yes, because big pharma and the health care system relies on the revenue that comes in to treat obesity related illnesses by way of pills, meds, hospitalizations, R&D, etc. etc. That's the beauty of big government. They do what benefits big pharma and the health care system in way of revenue.
Who could realistically live off of $10 per day for food? How would this be enforced? Is this even Constitutional with the 14th Amendment? It is one thing to briefly close down and mind you a number of police forces didn't enforce business closures, it is another thing to avoid this.

The problem is obesity isn't a one-sided fits all problem. There are a number of reasons one can gain weight and become obese. Firstly if you go by BMI which many consider the "gold standard" many people who live active lives are "obese" including bodybuilders, strongmen, wrestlers and football players in particularly linemen. Then you have injuries that can cause the creation of bad habits. You also have genetics which can make people not lose weight despite following a strict diet and exercise routine (source: Harvard) Then you have environmental factors like it being harder to travel to the gym during winter in northern states due to snowstorms. Another problem is stress which comes in two forms: stress eating and lack of energy.

I have been on WW for a little over three months now. I'm down 32.8 pounds. I have some up weeks but mostly been down. Only one week I gained over a pound and it wasn't a holiday week. I am doing it with a friend and co-worker and her son. She tends to stress eat and that hurts her loss. Me I try to use my points to the healthy eating zone. Now yes, some days I have to use weeklies from my steps and working out, but often times I do not. I have about 10/15 pounds before I'm at a comfortable goal weight. I have not been below 240 for the long-term on healthy ways and when I am 240ish, I don't look half bad.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

On one hand you have a virus with a 98% survival rate, as much as 80% of cases are asymptomatic or 45% depending on the study, most people have mild or flu like symptoms, age and health play a dominant factor in symptoms and fatalities. On the other hand you have a rushed vaccine that is suspiciously and inconsistently pushed by the federal government. A vaccine that requires two shots, plus a booster, plus a booster....., and does not prevent infection nor transmission and has been known to cause severe health issues and death.
Most vaccines do not prevent viral shedding, what it does is prepares antibodies for that virus. The reason people get the flu when they were vaccinated is often because they get an influenza B strain when the flu shot was for that year's dominant influenza A strain. What we have found with COVID is the vaccine works but not nearly well enough to prevent those who got vaccinated with the variant du jour. Sounds like someone fell asleep during science class...

Old 12-30-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

You mentioned risk assessment. I think risk assessment depends on many factors especially age and comorbidity. So, risk assessment is relative. One size doesn’t fit all. And, you and many anti vaxers leave out information and new studies of 1/3 to 40% of people that have been infected with covid having long term health problems. Yes, 98% survive but many people suffer illness which may or may not be permanent. I don't like those odds at my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies