Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2021, 01:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, thought that was off, too.

It should be noted that Canadians DO pay for health care to be available to everyone, through taxes. Just the current combined federal and provincial sales tax in Ontario is enough to make many Americans' heads explode: 13%.
Right. Can't raise city sales tax where I live to build a new fire station, because the combined city, county and sales tax at 8.8% is seen as plenty high enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 01:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

Right but you pay for this food:
...my treatment cost over ¥2.5 million, but thanks to the benefit, I was only charged ¥85,000. This amount includes medical expenses and a stay in a normal (communal) ward. It does not include food, the cost of a double or private room, or additional fees.
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/hospital-...an-you-expect/

You don't have enough money? The vending machine... is that way (Yes, you can give the money to a staff member they get want you want)

2.5m yen - roughly 22k USD

85k yen - roughly $740
Interesting, but it still doesn't mean what happens in Japan happens in all countries with UHC. So your wariness isn't really warranted in my opinion.

I looked up one hospital in Japan just to see what they charge for a meal. This one charges 360 yen per meal, or $3.13 USD. For the quality I'd say it's a bargain, and probably cheaper than a vending machine.

Meals|Center Hospital of National Center for Global Health and Medicine

Old 12-31-2021, 02:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
I lived in Japan for over 30 years. I certainly do know what I'm talking about. Yes, if you can't move food will be delivered to your bed (not sure if you'll be charged.) You can also have your own room but you have to pay. Once the operation is finished you'll be in a room with 4-6 (depending on the room size) other patients separated by patrician. If you can walk.... the vending machine is down the hall.

Again it's a trade off: if the US government wants to cover everyone and keep costs down. There will be a reduction in the quality of service.

No way around it.
Well John, in the post I responded to, you stated that acceptance of any national plan would result in: quote: "The bad news is the quality of medical care suffers because of sheer number of people using the service."

Now you've changed that to discuss nothing about the quality of the actual medical care received but instead; the ancillary services such as meal provision so, we are making progress here.

What goes on in Japan stays in Japan.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:24 PM

13,752 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Interesting, but it still doesn't mean what happens in Japan happens in all countries with UHC. So your wariness isn't really warranted in my opinion.

I looked up one hospital in Japan just to see what they charge for a meal. This one charges 360 yen per meal, or $3.13 USD. For the quality I'd say it's a bargain, and probably cheaper than a vending machine.

Meals|Center Hospital of National Center for Global Health and Medicine
Nope. Vending machine is 100-120 yen. 360 yen for a meal? Humm. Might well have been. I bought what I wanted without concern for cost.

Last edited by john3232; 12-31-2021 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-31-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well John, in the post I responded to, you stated that acceptance of any national plan would result in: quote: "The bad news is the quality of medical care suffers because of sheer number of people using the service."

Now you've changed that to discuss nothing about the quality of the actual medical care received but instead; the ancillary services such as meal provision so, we are making progress here.

What goes on in Japan stays in Japan.

I wrote, "I lived in Japan for many years and they have a national health care system. Now, when you go to a local clinic you're given 3-5 minutes with the doctor and sent on your way. Which is fine if you have say a cold but I had an ear infection and after visiting three clinics the problem was still with me So, I went to the Tokyo Medical Center which doesn't accept the national health care. I paid cash and the doctor here he spent time examining my ear. The doctor prescribed the correct dosage for antibiotics and the problem went away.

Today I live in the States. If I go a local clinic my experience has always been the doctor spends times with me. I am not in/out in 3-5 minutes. But why doesn't a J-doctor spend more time with patients? Because they deal in volume which is also how the make money. The more patients they see the more money they earn. And besides they have no choice. The clinics/hospitals are often packed and if you need say... a hip replacement in a hospital you can end up waiting for months. And why is everything so crowded? Because a visit to a clinic/hospital costs very little. Why buy over the counter medicine when you can get a prescription from a doctor.

Starting in 2023 (65) I will received Medicare along with Medicare Supplement Insurance. My coverage will be excellent but to be clear I am not saying health care in Japan isn't good. What I am saying the quality of heath care in the States is much better assuming you have access to it.

And as far as what is done in the UK or Canada ect. I don't care.

I live in the US and like Medicare just the way it is.

Last edited by john3232; 12-31-2021 at 04:51 PM..

Old 12-31-2021, 08:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:

I wrote, "I lived in Japan for many years and they have a national health care system. Now, when you go to a local clinic you're given 3-5 minutes with the doctor and sent on your way. Which is fine if you have say a cold but I had an ear infection and after visiting three clinics the problem was still with me So, I went to the Tokyo Medical Center which doesn't accept the national health care. I paid cash and the doctor here he spent time examining my ear. The doctor prescribed the correct dosage for antibiotics and the problem went away.

Today I live in the States. If I go a local clinic my experience has always been the doctor spends times with me. I am not in/out in 3-5 minutes. But why doesn't a J-doctor spend more time with patients? Because they deal in volume which is also how the make money. The more patients they see the more money they earn. And besides they have no choice. The clinics/hospitals are often packed and if you need say... a hip replacement in a hospital you can end up waiting for months. And why is everything so crowded? Because a visit to a clinic/hospital costs very little. Why buy over the counter medicine when you can get a prescription from a doctor.

Starting in 2023 (65) I will received Medicare along with Medicare Supplement Insurance. My coverage will be excellent but to be clear I am not saying health care in Japan isn't good. What I am saying the quality of heath care in the States is much better assuming you have access to it.

And as far as what is done in the UK or Canada ect. I don't care.

I live in the US and like Medicare just the way it is.
You may not be aware of the FACT Medicare is the quintessential single-payer system of healthcare delivery.

That's why the "single payer" demand in the U.S. is most commonly referred to as "Medicare for all" by it's proponents.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:34 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
You may not be aware of the FACT Medicare is the quintessential single-payer system of healthcare delivery.

That's why the "single payer" demand in the U.S. is most commonly referred to as "Medicare for all" by it's proponents.
Abput 40% of medicare recipients are on medicare advantage plans which are offered through standard, usually for profit, insurers who control the gate and pay the bills. So a significant share of it is not single payer. If it were done through non-profits and fees were capitated it might be a really good and affordable system.

But you are right in that those so critical of single payer can't wait to get onto the governments medicare plans at 65. And I have never heard of anyone on medicare wishing they could go back to employer programs (or nothing).

Old 12-31-2021, 08:50 PM

1,875 posts, read 650,616 times
Medicare is for a subset of the US population: seniors. So Medicare was programmed to focus on their unique needs. Mr. john3232 said he like Medicare 'just the way it is', meaning on his age related needs.

Now, look at the Veterans Administration (VA) medical programs for veterans, another subset of the US population, and see what a mess that is.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Fine. I don't want any changes. This time next year I'll have Medicare along with Medicare Supplement Insurance. The coverage will be first-rate. Total cost roughly $330 a month. All of which will be covered by my social security income.

Medicare for all? F-that. Open it to everyone... and there goes the quality.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Medicare is for a subset of the US population: seniors. So Medicare was programmed to focus on their unique needs. Mr. john3232 said he like Medicare 'just the way it is', meaning on his age related needs.

Now, look at the Veterans Administration (VA) medical programs for veterans, another subset of the US population, and see what a mess that is.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies