Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 04:18 PM

35,839 posts, read 18,164,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Indeed- the majority of black labor was agricultural in the south. There was, of course, some black labor that was used in construction, as has been noted in the building of several buildings in our nations capitol. However, the balance of the development of the agriculture in the north, as well as the roads, factories, construction and innovation was conducted by white northern european males.

To suggest that "blacks built America" is akin to saying that horses and oxen built America. It is completely false and suggests a contribution that did not exist. Slavery was actually a dying institution, even in the south, until Andrew Jackson confiscated Indian land in what is now Alabama and Mississippi and sold it to large land owners for cotton production. In addition, land pilfered from "the civilized tribes" by Jackson were again sold to large land owners, particularly for large scale plantations, which accelerated the need for slavery.

Blacks, in the role of slaves, served much the same role that Mexican ag workers serve in the modern US. Manual labor agricultural jobs and not drivers in the areas of tech, science, and innovation.
You’re extremely quick to discount the people who provide, either willingly or thru force, the labor needed to produce. McDonald’s wouldn’t sell one burger without the front line cooks and you wouldn’t be eating California produce without the migrant labor that harvests it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 04:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 9,600,742 times
If we blacks built America, the inner cities would look like Dubai.

Instead, inner cities are more dangerous than Afghanistan.

I have no problem with the fake liberal narrative of how much blacks have contributed to building modern America, as liberals will always pander for the black vote, but we simply need more evidence. Anything. Many blacks, such as myself, are veterans but I can’t think of any other contribution outside of the music and entrainment industry.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:32 PM

6,836 posts, read 3,074,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Anything. Many blacks, such as myself, are veterans but I can’t think of any other contribution outside of the music and entrainment industry.
Hey man, don't discount music and entertainment. That's big culture. Nothing to sneeze at, like, at all.

And anyway, I don't like that this is some big 'contest'. Just seems pointless.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It also isn’t a coincidence that when large numbers of southern blacks migrated to northern cities during the Great Migration, most of those cities declined into crime and decay.

American blacks are better at tearing down than building up.
When Europe finally left Africa and the African countries declared independence, all those countries went to crap as well.

There comes a point in time where you can’t blame white people or the west for your modern problems.

As a black man, I have no problem saying that we blacks are not living to our fullest potential whether it’s the blacks in America or the blacks in Africa. And that I sadly don’t see anything changing that anytime soon.

The UAE is an example of what many African countries could’ve been, if they just stopped the corruption and conflict, and worked together.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Hey man, don't discount music and entertainment. That's big culture. Nothing to sneeze at, like, at all.
I agree. Black music whether it’s jazz, hip hop, blues, soul, has been enjoyed by a global audience. Same for Black entertainment such as movies, shows, comedy, or sports.

But to say we built America, is a bit silly. We benefit from living in America. We didn’t build it.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 4,661,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
, a good chance slavery would exist today.

who said it doesnt? forced labor slavery exists in just about every country not called america. forced sexual slavery exists in just about every country INCLUDING america (what do you think epstein was doing? making mousekateers?

Old 01-04-2022, 05:28 PM

10,920 posts, read 4,661,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Let's suppose instead that Japanese explorers from the 17th Century landed here and started colonies (out in the west coast) and that there was, gradually, an eastward expansion. Let's further say that the Japanese colonists and their children ultimately fought a war of independence against Japan and that they won.

Why would anybody think that this newly independent country, comprised of colonies where everyone was of Japanese background and spoke Japanese, would have turned out exactly as the 13 Colonies did?

The Japan of that time was ruled by the Tokugawa shogunate. Why would this new ethnically and culturally Japanese country in what is today the U.S west coast had the same religious beliefs and the same cultural mores as the nascent U.S. did following victory over Britain?

In the same way, if black explorers had come to the eastern seaboard and begun colonies, the ensuing country would have been no less different from the actual historical U.S.A. than a country founded by Japanese explorers from Tokugawa Japan would have been.

To believe otherwise is delusional.

to be honest the japanese were not global seafarers in the needed timeframe and indeed it was Adm Perry that had to FORCE them (I kid you not) to open relations with us. But lets say they had discovered the west coast us and establish routes...they would have bought their own slave trades using their slave class

(koreans) or captured chinese from the coastal raids.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:41 PM

63,229 posts, read 29,343,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
If you listen to her whole quote is was a response to some other person. She was making a point and of course it is taken out of context.

It's just the 'bucket o crabs mentality. Of course she can't be a conservative! She must be an uncle tom. There is no other explanation! That's the label they use to keep decenters of their ideology in line.
It's ugly and bullying. Just say you don't like her or disagree, no need to question her blackness.
I know a black guy whom I mentioned Candace to him and he turned to me and said "well she's one of those" and he said he didn't like her. Of course he doesn't as she speaks the truth about many blacks and they can't handle the truth. There is a black poster in this forum with the same sentiments about her and for the same reasons. :rolleyes

I abhor white liberals and don't get offended when the truth is stated about them and I'm white. I can handle the truth!

Old 01-04-2022, 05:47 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,343,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
to be honest the japanese were not global seafarers in the needed timeframe and indeed it was Adm Perry that had to FORCE them (I kid you not) to open relations with us. But lets say they had discovered the west coast us and establish routes...they would have bought their own slave trades using their slave class

(koreans) or captured chinese from the coastal raids.
Would the Tokugawa state on the U.S. west coast have been a mirror of the newly formed U.S. that did arise on the east coast?

Old 01-04-2022, 05:58 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,227,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Truthfully, the South isn't all that "built" either, and it certainly wasn't before the last few decades. Economic and population growth in Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, etc. is a relatively new phenomenon. The Union had double the population that the Confederacy had. The entire large region was almost all rural backwater.
This is true, but a lot of elite northern families profited off of the slave trade. This also provided capital for the growth of the northern industrial areas. The north didn't really engage in slavery all too much, but it would be a lie to act like the economic reality that slavery provided didn't help the north to industrialize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies