Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 07:40 AM

10,923 posts, read 4,595,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
In 1790, there were six "slave states"; in 1860 there were 15. From 1790 until Congress banned the slave trade from Africa in 1808, Southerners imported 80,000 Africans. By 1860, approximately one in three Southerners was an enslaved person."

I oft wonder if american history is still taught (it aint) and my question is answered with quotes like this.

Data points 1 and 2 may be factually true. but they are also irrelevant. if my count is correct, there were 13 states in 1790. there were 33 states at the outset of hostilities.

The second sentence is a dodge. How big? you can determine that if you understand the following numbers: 12.5M, 10.7M, 388K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 07:43 AM

10,923 posts, read 4,595,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I.... but I can’t think of any other contribution outside of the music and entrainment industry.

that 'flat 5th' was killer you have to admit...

Old 01-05-2022, 07:52 AM

1,702 posts, read 787,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-Africa_movement

Many times we here the nonsense from the left that "black slaves built America". Of course, this is absurd, as the US was built by Northern European males, who farmed the land, built the buildings, built the factories and the transportation that made America.

However, we do have an interesting historical "experiment" to test the contention of blacks "building American".

From the 1820s up to the Civil War, there was a "recolonization" effort to place black slaves in other venues, free of slavery. The US sent thousands of blacks to Liberia, while the most common destination for slaves freed by the British Empire was to Sierra Leone. So...................... fast forward 175 years, these same people who "built America" have failed to produce the same wealthy, powerful, productive state "they built" in the US. Why?:sma ck:

Just more revisionist history BS that is easily refuted by anyone with an ounce of sense. Instead of focusing on false, fanciful "accomplishments" that never were, perhaps they should focus on education, two parent families, hard work, and abstinence from drugs and actually help to "fundamentally change America", but in a positive aspect, not how Obama had envisioned.
If black slaves couldn’t get the job done, why did “Northern European Males” keep bringing them to America? Your ancestors wouldn’t have continued to bring them in if they couldn’t get anything accomplished.

Why weren’t you white guys capable or competent enough to pick your OWN cotton, sugar, and tobacco if you didn’t want blacks here? Riddle me that

Old 01-05-2022, 08:05 AM

13,985 posts, read 5,650,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Any cog, literally or figuratively, can stop the machine from its intended purpose. Until that new cog is stamped out and replaced, the MTD or maximum tolerable down time of said machine is a major focus in any business today. So yes, replaceable cogs are important as they can represent a SPOF (single point of failure) and a well run business - even ones with evil suits - will go to pains and take a budget hit to prevent cog failure.
I understand this, but my point is that since cogs themselves are easily replaceable, given that a cog supply does indeed exist, no cog should feel too superior about their particular place within the machine.

A good mantra for every employee in the at-will workplace of the United States should repeat daily - "this company was in business before I got here, and they'll be in business after I leave, therefore, I am not special."

This mantra applies to people wanting to inflate the historical importance of any group of workers in the past. The economy of the US was there before those workers, 90% of the economy got along just fine without those workers, and that entire industry has done just fine in the 155 years since we outlawed those workers and that form of work.

That is what cog theory teaches us. While you are plugged into the machine, yes, your operation matters, but if you are unplugged and easily replaced with another cog...then it wasn't you that was necessary, it was instead the role called cog that you or countless others could fill. And your individual importance further diminishes when you consider the vast number of machines, and those gazillions of cogs.

So those who rewrite history in an effort to elevate any cog or set thereof to some single point of failure level of importance end up sounding both wildly ignorant and criminally narcissistic.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:45 AM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
If black slaves couldn’t get the job done, why did “Northern European Males” keep bringing them to America? Your ancestors wouldn’t have continued to bring them in if they couldn’t get anything accomplished.

Why weren’t you white guys capable or competent enough to pick your OWN cotton, sugar, and tobacco if you didn’t want blacks here? Riddle me that
You white guys? I'm not related to every white guy that ever lived nor are the rest of us. Those people are all dead now so what's with the "you" white guys remark? There were plenty of white farmers back then. It was only the elite that used slaves to do their grunt work.

There are still plenty of white farmers still around in this day and age to.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:20 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Quote:
I oft wonder if american history is still taught (it aint) and my question is answered with quotes like this.

Data points 1 and 2 may be factually true. but they are also irrelevant. if my count is correct, there were 13 states in 1790. there were 33 states at the outset of hostilities.

The second sentence is a dodge. How big? you can determine that if you understand the following numbers: 12.5M, 10.7M, 388K
About 3.9 M slaves by 1860. It is common knowledge that the cotton gin made slavery more profitable and actually increased the demand for more slaves. Maybe your version of American history isn't taught.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:25 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,088,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-Africa_movement

Many times we here the nonsense from the left that "black slaves built America". Of course, this is absurd, as the US was built by Northern European males, who farmed the land, built the buildings, built the factories and the transportation that made America.

However, we do have an interesting historical "experiment" to test the contention of blacks "building American".

From the 1820s up to the Civil War, there was a "recolonization" effort to place black slaves in other venues, free of slavery. The US sent thousands of blacks to Liberia, while the most common destination for slaves freed by the British Empire was to Sierra Leone. So...................... fast forward 175 years, these same people who "built America" have failed to produce the same wealthy, powerful, productive state "they built" in the US. Why?:sma ck:

Just more revisionist history BS that is easily refuted by anyone with an ounce of sense. Instead of focusing on false, fanciful "accomplishments" that never were, perhaps they should focus on education, two parent families, hard work, and abstinence from drugs and actually help to "fundamentally change America", but in a positive aspect, not how Obama had envisioned.
Black Americans/Afro-Caribbeans make up like 4% of Liberia’s population and roughly 1% of Sierra Leone’s population, and that’s all descendants. If talking people who are fully African American/Afro-Caribbean its even lower.

America took land where thousands of people lived from about 15 ethnic groups that lived in various coastal semi-political unions and put a tiny group of Black Americans in charge while the black ethnic groups had no political power…

It was destined to fail from the beginning. People act like Liberia and Sierra Leone are African American states. They were only ever African American ruled. Theirs no point in history where African Americans made up a significant portion of either countries population.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 01-05-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-05-2022, 09:30 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
And that would be true. Not that blacks built every part of America, but a significant part of it was built with their uncompensated labor.

What I want to know is why Hawkeye felt compelled to start this thread. Why does he feel so aggrieved that some would acknowledge the contribution that slave labor made to the building of America? It's not much different from saying that Chinese laborers built the western railroads. Would he also feel offended at that?
I really think a lot of conservatives suffer from white guilt. This is why many of them get triggered when a historical injustice is brought up. They feel like they are being attacked themselves and feel guilty about the historical injustice. I think white conservatives are the true face of white guilt and shame. Some of them make threads like this one to try to assuage that guilt.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:36 AM

2,344 posts, read 971,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When Europe finally left Africa and the African countries declared independence, all those countries went to crap as well.

There comes a point in time where you can’t blame white people or the west for your modern problems.

As a black man, I have no problem saying that we blacks are not living to our fullest potential whether it’s the blacks in America or the blacks in Africa. And that I sadly don’t see anything changing that anytime soon.

The UAE is an example of what many African countries could’ve been, if they just stopped the corruption and conflict, and worked together.

Yes, there's corruption too (and you can be sure it's not just with African leaders), but Europeans continue to fleece African nations of their resources. Most of the infrastructure built in Africa were roads leading from sites of resources to ports to transport them back to Europe, mostly mined with African labor but they do not reap the profits.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:38 AM

2,344 posts, read 971,446 times
Quote:
who said it doesnt? forced labor slavery exists in just about every country not called america. forced sexual slavery exists in just about every country INCLUDING america (what do you think epstein was doing? making mousekateers?

We do have slave labor here in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies