Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 06:41 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-Africa_movement

Many times we here the nonsense from the left that "black slaves built America". Of course, this is absurd, as the US was built by Northern European males, who farmed the land, built the buildings, built the factories and the transportation that made America.

However, we do have an interesting historical "experiment" to test the contention of blacks "building American".

From the 1820s up to the Civil War, there was a "recolonization" effort to place black slaves in other venues, free of slavery. The US sent thousands of blacks to Liberia, while the most common destination for slaves freed by the British Empire was to Sierra Leone. So...................... fast forward 175 years, these same people who "built America" have failed to produce the same wealthy, powerful, productive state "they built" in the US. Why?:sma ck:

Just more revisionist history BS that is easily refuted by anyone with an ounce of sense. Instead of focusing on false, fanciful "accomplishments" that never were, perhaps they should focus on education, two parent families, hard work, and abstinence from drugs and actually help to "fundamentally change America", but in a positive aspect, not how Obama had envisioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 06:45 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Many times we here the nonsense from the left that "black slaves built America". Of course, this is absurd, as the US was built by Northern European males, who farmed the land, built the buildings, built the factories and the transportation that made America.

However, we do have an interesting historical "experiment" to test the contention of blacks "building American".

From the 1820s up to the Civil War, there was a "recolonization" effort to place black slaves in other venues, free of slavery. The US sent thousands of blacks to Liberia, while the most common destination for slaves freed by the British Empire was to Sierra Leone. So...................... fast forward 175 years, these same people who "built America" have failed to produce the same wealthy, powerful, productive state "they built" in the US. Why?:sma ck:

Just more revisionist history BS that is easily refuted by anyone with an ounce of sense. Instead of focusing on false, fanciful "accomplishments" that never were, perhaps they should focus on education, two parent families, hard work, and abstinence from drugs and actually help to "fundamentally change America", but in a positive aspect, not how Obama had envisioned.

Actually anyone with an ounce of sense could come up with a pretty good reason rather quickly why Blacks sent back to Africa weren't able to amass wealth, but then that wouldn't fit your agenda would it?

Think: Resources, Capital, Environment - not exactly rocket science.

Your very own link provides a hint..."The mortality rate of these settlers was the highest in accurately-recorded human history.[2][3] Of the 4,571 emigrants who arrived in Liberia between 1820 and 1843, only 1,819 survived"... "group of 43 African Americans from Christiansburg, Virginia left for Liberia in 1830, but suffered high mortality. "Eighty percent of the emigrants were dead within ten years of landing there, most of them victims of malaria".

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-25-2022 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not other posters

Old 01-04-2022, 06:50 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
I understand the point you are making, but the construction of the argument is easily defeated in rebuttal because you added "built by Northern Europeans" which itself is vague and inaccurate. Basically, it's the same brand of revisionist history used by the "slaves built America" morons, boiling the history of the country down to a "my ancestor's made up history can beat up your ancestor's made up history" squabble.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:01 AM

198 posts, read 261,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

You forgot to add that the enslaved sipped tea under the Magnolias for 300 years!

Old 01-04-2022, 07:02 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times
I only recently learned that Liberia restricts citizenship to “…persons who are of Negro descent.â€

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberian_nationality_law

Old 01-04-2022, 07:05 AM

10,823 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Actually anyone with an ounce of sense could come up with a pretty good reason rather quickly why Blacks sent back to Africa weren't able to amass wealth, but then that wouldn't fit your agenda would it?

Think: Resources, Capital, Environment - not exactly rocket science.

Your very own link provides a hint..."The mortality rate of these settlers was the highest in accurately-recorded human history.[2][3] Of the 4,571 emigrants who arrived in Liberia between 1820 and 1843, only 1,819 survived"... "group of 43 African Americans from Christiansburg, Virginia left for Liberia in 1830, but suffered high mortality. "Eighty percent of the emigrants were dead within ten years of landing there, most of them victims of malaria".

to be honest, I would have expected less of a narrative-driven knee jerk response from someone who claims to be a contemporary u-conn grad.

it *is* ok to disagree with drivel, and it *is* possible to not absolutely must be a racist when doing it. They must have dropped that part of the education from the curriculum....

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-25-2022 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-04-2022, 07:07 AM

6,642 posts, read 2,956,027 times
To be honest I never took that saying , " Black slaves built America" , to mean that they were the inventors and brain power to structure production and have a plan to do this or that.

I took it as they were the laborers and grunts,. i.e. slaves, that were forced to 'build America'. Just from a labor point of view.

While I still find even that a bit hyperbolic, that's how I took it.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:10 AM

10,823 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
To be honest I never took that saying , " Black slaves built America" , to mean that they were the inventors and brain power to structure production and have a plan to do this or that.

I took it as they were the laborers and grunts,. i.e. slaves, that were forced to 'build America'. Just from a labor point of view.

While I still find even that a bit hyperbolic, that's how I took it.

reasonable, and furthermore, slave labor built little if any infrastructure in antebellum times. we can point to the slave labor that built the transcon, but that was mostly chinese....

Old 01-04-2022, 07:14 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Depends on how you define "built". Most of the manual work was done by slaves, if available, or free blacks, white immigrants or poor people, if not. Most cotton, rice, tobacco, etc. was picked by slaves. Wheat, oat, corn, etc. were northern crops, so harvested mostly by white farmers.

Black Americans should be proud of the contribution their ancestors made to this country. They built it just as much as the white guy who wrote down the instructions and the "blueprints".

As for the Back-to-Africa movement, the countries that were repopulated with freed slaves didn't fare worse than the neighboring black countries. If whites repopulated these areas, they wouldn't have done much better, unless they subjected the blacks to do the manual labor. South Africa is an example. India another to compare with non-blacks.

I was watching a program on the Egyptian pyramids and they were debating which pharaoh "built" the pyramids. Obviously non actually built them, the slaves did.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:18 AM

254 posts, read 131,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
You forgot to add that the enslaved sipped tea under the Magnolias for 300 years!
Lol! And all joined in song of "Dem Ole Cotton Fields" in unison, happily chained to one another. Then...Shirley Temple tapped her way into the picture and announced freedom and respect for everyone!

This post is insulting to historical accuracy. Some White people... and I am White and Southern, so don't even.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 01-04-2022 at 07:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies