Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 08:32 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of companies dictating when you can go on vacation. Although, I guess accountants can't take off during tax season. And who only gets one week for vacation, maybe the first year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 08:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 19,722,567 times
No wonder the French are so pissed. They have to work during Christmas.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:55 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Boss: Hey, Johnny, do you like warm booze?
Johnny: No, hate it
Boss: Hmm.. do you like sweaty women?
Johnny: No, no..
Boss: Ok, then I'll take vacation in August and you - in December.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
I always shutdown our business for the holidays.
I used to keep a skeleton crew going but I got screwed so we just shutdown.

As a person of German decent I have always liked 4-6 weeks off per year after I was squared away.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:13 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
It doesn't make sense.

December is the coldest and vacation-unfriendly month.

I believe French companies give vacations in August. The French can go to the beach, sunbathe, drink nice wines, meet nice ladies in bikinis.
Some people like to vacation at ski resorts. That's hard to do in August.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:31 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes, but on the bright side, airfare to a ski resort in August should be a lot lower.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:36 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
So what's the big holiday in August that gets people from all over to travel to be with family and spend money at virtually every retailer in town and on line ? There isn't. Move to France and have fun.
Lol, they usually do get August off. It does not mean that they work around Christmas.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:39 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Lol, they take August off. That does not exclude skiing in December..

Old 01-07-2022, 10:40 PM

1,602 posts, read 867,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
It doesn't make sense.

December is the coldest and vacation-unfriendly month.

I believe French companies give vacations in August. The French can go to the beach, sunbathe, drink nice wines, meet nice ladies in bikinis.

I used to work in the week between Christmas and New Years, saving my leave time for the warmer months, but as I earned more leave over time, I finally gave in and just take that entire week now. Part of it is that you can't get anything done because so many other people are out that emails and phone calls go unanswered. This year, I was sick at the beginning, and my wife got sick a couple days later, and so we mostly just slept and binge watched TV over that week.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:42 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
They make us burn the vacation by the year end because it improves their books when they report earnings.

It's their own policies that create the problem just so they can have a little bit better looking books, so they can deal with the aftermath. I usually tell them to pound sand when they try to get me to cover overtime the last 2 weeks of the year. I had 10 days off the week of Christmas, 7 of which I was on vacation.

Middle management creates 95% of the problems in our workplace, and it usually flows downhill where they expect us to deal with it. I love getting other people to stop being doormats and stick up for themselves when it comes to this stuff. When I say we have a crisis of inept management in this country I mean it, and I aim to get people to not clean up THEIR mess.

It's all in good fun! I tend to enjoy being a contrarian just to get people to question their assumptions and reality. The powers that be want everyone assimilated into a collective being compliant little zombies. It takes rebellious people to keep them in check. Society is very push-pull when healthy checks and balances are in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies