Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 08:00 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I guess "woke" is supposed to be some new insult to "liberals". When it comes down to it, I want to be awake rather than asleep at the wheel.
leftists invented 'woke', and now they cry when people are disgusted by it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 08:03 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
It has ruined nothing...being woke a is a good thing...treating everyone equal and well is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
right treat people equally.

that means if you're failing in school you fail. it means the best person for the job period.it means if someone is delusional you don't have to play along with their delusions.it means not insulting black people by saying things like they're too stupid/broke to get id cards or aren't capable of thinking for themselves and calling them uncle toms if they lean right. It means when 90 percent of blacks are killed by blacks you're able to say that instead of pretending something else is going on.It means everyone isn't a special snowflake.
excellent and accurate response, +1.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:30 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I go back and forth on that one. While I love native themed mascots most of the time, that one is right on the line if not over, because it directly refers to skin tone.

My preference is that they partner with a tribe or Native organization (as the Florida Seminoles do) and keep the logo (which is one of the best in sports) but come up with a new name.
I would not have changed the name, however I do strongly agree with the logo staying. Washington not only lost its name, it lost its logo and the team band. That team is gone, what is left is a empty shell, owned and operated by the worse owner in the league. At the least, I would have changed the name only to the Washington Potomacs, kept the great logo, created by a American Indian, and the band.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:38 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
In my opinion, Boomers and Gen X have enabled this to happen and the accountability is on them.
Maybe some boomers and gen-xers enabled this to happen. But don't blame me. Even back in the day, I thought it was ridiculous when some fringe people claimed that race or gender was merely a social construct. At some point, the leftist intelligentsia decided that the only way to make it plausibly seem that people are "equal" was to deny that human differences or group differences actually exist.

But this kind of thinking and everything it entails have now entered the mainstream. You cannot even speak against it without endangering your livelihood in liberal areas of the United States. Who knows what the end result of it will be.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:44 AM

7,387 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maybe some boomers and gen-xers enabled this to happen. But don't blame me. Even back in the day, I thought it was ridiculous when some fringe people claimed that race or gender was merely a social construct. At some point, the leftist intelligentsia decided that the only way to make it plausibly seem that people are "equal" was to deny that human differences or group differences actually exist.

But this kind of thinking and everything it entails have now entered the mainstream. You cannot even speak against it without endangering your livelihood in liberal areas of the United States. Who knows what the end result of it will be.
Generally speaking, sure there are some who educated their kids on balance and didn't just throw their emotionally immature kids into college without preparing them at a young age on objectivity.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:56 AM

6,246 posts, read 3,417,222 times
[quote=Take a History Class;62673636]I go back and forth on that one. While I love native themed mascots most of the time, that one is right on the line if not over, because it directly refers to skin tone.[quote]
Indians don't have red skins, what makes anyone think they do. All the Indians I know have a skin tone anywhere from white to about the same as Mexicans, sometimes a little darker.
The term 'red skin' come from early explorers who come across a group of Indians who painted their faces red. Later, Indians in the south central plains and south western Indians painted their faces red on war parties. In fact many Indians in war parties painted their faces many different colors.

Quote:
Native Indians have long embraced the practice of face paint to communicate messages via colors and different symbols, especially during wars.
https://historyplex.com/native-india...their-meanings

Old 01-11-2022, 12:00 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Grammar. It should be "awakened," but they like "woke."
No they don't. "Woke" is a term being tossed around as a pejorative by the right, so if you wanna call the grammar police, by all means, call the grammar police on them.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:16 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,311,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Realtors won't say master bedroom anymore, it's the primary bedroom now.
The name of the parlor was switched to the living room, to disassociate the parlor which previously was the room in the family home used to display the dead body of a family member. Then funeral parlors gradually took on this task.

They started calling the parlor the living room. Was this woke back in the early 1910s?

https://www.vintag.es/2018/01/living...today-was.html

Old 01-11-2022, 12:33 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Flirting at work.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:48 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,613,104 times
Late-night talk shows, public education, and girls'/women's sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies