Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Who woulda guessed that the crack reporters of the AP would go to Manchin's state for this story. Democrat operatives disguised as media that's all they are and half the people in this nation are too stupid to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 09:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Here's what I'm struggling with. The grandparents aren't too bright if they used that money to put their grandchildren into activities they couldn't support on their own once the temporary money stopped coming in. That's just cruel. How is it they didn't think that through? And how is their lack of forethought anyone's problem but their own?

Old 01-17-2022, 09:22 AM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
No, the living wage in America has not kept pace with inflation
Incorrect. Inflation is an overall increase in the general price level of goods, services, and compensation and has nothing to do with "livability."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
The average car price right now is 40k. 40,000 dollars for a new car.
The relative increase in the price of new cars has been driven by the Federal Government mandating an increase in the bill of materials of manufacturing a car since the 1960s. The Federal Government has:
  • mandated seat belts (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated five mph bumpers (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated airbags (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated crash safety standards (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated all manner of emission control systems (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated minimum fuel economy (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated even more crash safety standards (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated even more emission control systems (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated even higher fuel economy standards (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated backup safety cameras (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated warnings to check the back seat for infants (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)
  • mandated etc etc etc etc etc (raising the bill of materials, cost, and hence price of a new car)

Want to buy a new basic car with the complexity and bill of materials of a 1950s economy vehicle? You cannot do so because the Federal Government has mandated that automobile manufacturers not give you that choice.

And do-gooders somehow thought all those mandates wouldn't increase the bill of materials cost?

Old 01-17-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Nobody excuses it when the rich do it, but Trump's loopholes in real estate were enacted under Bill Clinton.
Those are not loopholes. Those are conscious, intentional incentives enacted by Congress in its Wisdom.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:57 AM

1,517 posts, read 541,843 times
I'm okay with eliminating the child tax credit. Next we need to eliminate farm subsidies ($47 billion annually) and oil subsidies ($20 billion annually).

Old 01-17-2022, 10:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Those are not loopholes. Those are conscious, intentional incentives enacted by Congress in its Wisdom.
Don't use part of my quote instead of quoting me completely, thus taking it out of context.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
Isn’t that what the stimulus money was for? To SPEND it so that it would stimulate the economy?
Much of that went to goods manufactured in China. It was the Chinese Communist Party that wanted the US to implement stimulus money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
My sister has saved her thousands of dollars in stimulus since the pandemic started. That has done absolutely nothing for the economy. I used my stimulus to help pay off credit cards and refinance my home. Again, doesn’t really do anything to stimulate the economy.
I realize this is not the economics forum - but let me say your view above is incorrect.

In economics, Savings ≡ Investment, and investment is how an economy grows and expands. If you google "savings equals investment" you'll find many academic sources and non-academic sources to explain it in detail, for example

Old 01-17-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Don't use part of my quote instead of quoting me completely, thus taking it out of context.
I didn't think I was taking anything out of context. But since the original quote is yours, you must think I did. Sorry for that; it wasn't my intent.

Quote:
Nobody excuses it when the rich do it, but Trump's loopholes in real estate were enacted under Bill Clinton. If you have a beef, it should be with him, not the rich folks who take advantage of the loopholes put into place by the wealthy politicians who are nothing but self-serving profiteers. And do cite some proof that Trump evaded taxes. I can't stand the guy, but even I know that's a lie.

There are already government programs that people take advantage of when they're poor. Some even game the system to maximize their freebies.

Get out of your little bubble and you'll find that many lower middle class families are struggling more than those in poverty. The bang for their buck has dropped considerably and they don't qualify for ANY government assistance.
The bold above -- Those are not loopholes. Those are conscious, intentional incentives enacted by Congress in its Wisdom.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:26 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
“ Allowed it to” ?

Do you really mean financially subsidizing single parent households in addition to most households with minor dependents?
yes, primarily that we financially-subsidize, and actually encourage programatically, a family structure that is known to result in worse outcomes.

Someone suggested sterilization, which unless reversible is of course completely wrong/illegal. But I'd like to know what's wrong with requiring effective long-term birth control while a single mother is receiving benefits.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:30 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Such children become wards of the state when family members are unable or unwilling to become guardians for the children.

which is why we'd rather family become the guardians, and in fact provide benefits should they be necessary. The expanded child credit is not necessary when it's not being used for food, housing, clothing.

I'm all for a CTC expansion that raises children out of poverty, when that is tied to the basic necessities. I've made good use of mine, though of course since I barely squeezed under the $2K, I will be paying this expansion back come tax time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies