Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 09:59 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It was most likely contractors, not government employees, who did the programming.
AA diversity over skill I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 10:05 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
AA diversity over skill I'm sure.
Oh please, let's not pretend that the shoddy work of the govt and it's contractors is something that started or is unique to any emphasis on "diversity". When you have a system that relies on:

- cheapest bid
or
- "best" bid that happens to benefit the govt employee(s)
- little to no repercussions for lack of quality (whether it lies on implementation or requirements)
- little to no accountability for a failed project
- little to no motivation for success (let alone going a step above)

This has been the case for decades, whether the contractors were pale good ole boys or female minority owned.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:16 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Again, government workers have nowhere near the customer focused attitude that private sector workers do. USPS can't even deliver on its expected delivery times for Priority Mail.
USPS is forced to deal with you, private companies are not.

Let me state this more specifically for you.

I am a Store Operations supervisor for one of the 5 largest retailers by volume, who was also the district lead for online shipping(think of it as assistant district manager who is simply stationed at one store) . My district is the entire state of Louisiana, Mississippi South of Jackson, Alabama South of Montgomery, Georgia South of Columbus, and the Florida Panhandle ending at Tallahassee.

By sales, I am responsible for 9 million dollars in merchandise(thats not counting actual store freight shipments)

Do you know how many times I had to deal with UPS and Fed Ex because they wouldnt deliver to entire towns that were too far out of their way and had to do a second route and drop off with USPS ???

Again, this thread is just people wanting to attack a Democratic Administration, because I doubt if I look back, you would all be complaining about the Trump/Republican and their Big 3 website fails(Vaccine, Stimulus, unemployment)

Old 01-19-2022, 10:53 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It was most likely contractors, not government employees, who did the programming.
Of course they are contractors. Also, there is often a lack of communication between management and IT types. The IT people will do what they are asked to do, but if mgmt didn't say "hey, we might have a problem with multiple people at the same address, write into the program a workaround for that", programmers are not going to do that. They do what their scope of work yells them to do.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:53 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My response is to the context of the thread itself, where no one argued efficiency of the government, but rather the simple fact that something went wrong.

If you want to argue that government should be held to a higher standard than private tech, cool, but my post is clearly in response to people arguing something different.
Noted. I stipulate.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course they are contractors. Also, there is often a lack of communication between management and IT types. The IT people will do what they are asked to do, but if mgmt didn't say "hey, we might have a problem with multiple people at the same address, write into the program a workaround for that", programmers are not going to do that. They do what their scope of work yells them to do.
A "unique" address would consist of address+(optional)Apt#. Even a freshman in college could code that one up.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:01 PM

There were also a lot of issues with the "Where is my stimulus check" website with the same exact "bug"...the address field.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
I live in a large apartment complex (over 400 units), all of which have the same street address followed by the unique apartment number. I just ordered free covid test kits on the covidtest.gov website, and my order went though without a hitch. I got an order confirmation number. This thread should be closed - it is a false report of a non-existent problem.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I live in a large apartment complex (over 400 units), all of which have the same street address followed by the unique apartment number. I just ordered free covid test kits on the covidtest.gov website, and my order went though without a hitch. I got an order confirmation number. This thread should be closed - it is a false report of a non-existent problem.
No it was posted when it was indeed a bug that the WH said would be fixed.
Might want to read the news every now and then.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:52 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
A "unique" address would consist of address+(optional)Apt#. Even a freshman in college could code that one up.
Hey, if you insist on low bid rather than best value, maybe that's who you get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies