Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 05:44 AM

117 posts, read 39,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There needs to be criminal charges or at least medical malpractice. This isn't the only place that is doing this. Do they get a bonus if a Covid patient dies?

Scott Quiner, 55, a father-of-three, contracted COVID-19 in October and was put on a ventilator at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, in November. His wife, Anne Quiner, was reportedly told by doctors that his ventilator would be switched off on Jan. 13 after he suffered lung failure.

His wife flew him to Texas where:

“A doctor evaluated him and determined that he was severely undernourished. Scott has been receiving much-needed nourishment and hydration and medications that were not given by Mercy,” Holsten said.

“He is being weaned off of the sedating drugs and has already been able to follow with his eyes movements the doctor made with his hands. He is making progress in the right direction, though he has a long road ahead of him and continued prayers are appreciated.”

Holsten separately told the Star Tribune that Quiner’s doctor said that he was “the most undernourished patient he has ever seen.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/severe...TrPSFgZA%3D%3D
Sad story. Depopulation agenda is clear to see. You cannot trust doctors anymore.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:50 AM

366 posts, read 110,520 times
Quote:
There needs to be criminal charges or at least medical malpractice. This isn't the only place that is doing this. Do they get a bonus if a Covid patient dies?

Scott Quiner, 55, a father-of-three, contracted COVID-19 in October and was put on a ventilator at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, in November. His wife, Anne Quiner, was reportedly told by doctors that his ventilator would be switched off on Jan. 13 after he suffered lung failure.

“A doctor evaluated him and determined that he was severely undernourished. Scott has been receiving much-needed nourishment and hydration and medications that were not given by Mercy,” Holsten said.

“He is being weaned off of the sedating drugs and has already been able to follow with his eyes movements the doctor made with his hands. He is making progress in the right direction, though he has a long road ahead of him and continued prayers are appreciated.”

Holsten separately told the Star Tribune that Quiner’s doctor said that he was “the most undernourished patient he has ever seen.”

I don’t understand at this point, something like 90% of people never come off a ventilator, knowing this why do they even use them? https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/covid19/nhc...ilator-use.htm

That looks like a death sentence, 10% of people who had to use a vent were ultimately discharged from the hospital. FiL was made to suffer on one for 2 weeks, with no consent from the family (wouldn’t let us in, died January 2021)

Old 01-21-2022, 05:53 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
It's quite unfortunate but often hospitals in America are places you go to die, not get saved.

I pray I can expatriate before I reach age 55. I don't want to die needlessly due to American apathy and incompetence.

American Hospital food is terrible and they wonder why long term patients routinely die. Without proper nutrition we all die unnecessarily before our time is truly up. Gross negligence is the true pandemic killer, not COVID.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:55 AM

366 posts, read 110,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Great post. My son was an ICU nurse here for ten years, and went into administration about a year ago.. He would agree with you wholeheartedly. He has said a lot of the same things.

The best idea is to get vaxxed, avoid crowds, wear a mask when you have to go out, and try to keep a doctor from having to make these decisions about your care.
Nope, the best idea is for scared hypochondriacs to stay home while everyone else lives life as normal.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:19 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Had a parent on a ventilator. I'd take the advice of a pulmonary doctor who is versed on viability in sustaining a person on a ventilator. The sooner they can get the patient independently breathing the better. Risk of further infections and constant use of anti biotics to stay on the machine is at some point more harm then good.
My parent had the vent removed . And ( drum roll).....

She breathed on her own! Yes there were complications afterwards. Patient has to relearn how to swallow. ( That's partly why this Steve chap was malnourished). Intravenous liquids is more of a sugar water drip. I suspect he didn't have a GI tube ( nasal or peg) to receive the required nourishment. Yes even that can be declined by the medical advocate. ( The wife being the primary decision maker here).

I think Eddie gein's Post / responses are far more accurate then the bias snippets ( out of context to support a particular position) by the original ' epochfailure news media outlet.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Had a parent on a ventilator. I'd take the advice of a pulmonary doctor who is versed on viability in sustaining a person on a ventilator. The sooner they can get the patient independently breathing the better. Risk of further infections and constant use of anti biotics to stay on the machine is at some point more harm then good.
My parent had the vent removed . And ( drum roll).....

She breathed on her own! Yes there were complications afterwards. Patient has to relearn how to swallow. ( That's partly why this Steve chap was malnourished). Intravenous liquids is more of a sugar water drip. I suspect he didn't have a GI tube ( nasal or peg) to receive the required nourishment. Yes even that can be declined by the medical advocate. ( The wife being the primary decision maker here).

I think Eddie gein's Post / responses are far more accurate then the bias snippets ( out of context to support a particular position) by the original ' epochfailure news media outlet.
Agree. Getting on a ventilator is a sure way to be put on "patient is dying/nothing more to do" list. Avoid at all costs, get off it at all costs.

Also? Had a cardiologist tell me the most dangerous place for a cardiac patient is in cardiac rehab. Get them home, with at home care. Do not let them stay at cardiac rehab as they do poorly compared with being at home.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:40 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

It's embarrassing.

However, as a physician, I can say that you really need to stay on top of your healthcare and repeatedly question treating docs, particularly foreign medical grads and DOs, who are awful. If you knew how crappy their training was, it would scare the hell out of you. Keep in mind that the BEST DO medical school is worse than the WORST MD medical school! Often times they are "trained" by just watching other DOs and have very little didactic clinical course lectures. They have to arrange THEIR OWN clinical rotations with some DO that will take them for a given specialty, unlike the organized, rigorous training that occurs in MD schools right there at their institution. Some of those "training" those kids are not very good themselves and provide no formal course design or curriculum. It is awful. It is essentially trying to learn medicine on your own.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to intervene on the behalf of family members to save their lives from those idiots. I have told them MANY times to avoid foreign medical grads, but they tend to accept whoever their primary care doc sends them to.

For example:

My elderly father contracted Covid last year. He was a lifetime smoker (yet 90 years old and was lifting two 50lb sacks of grain at a time a few weeks before). His Covid doc wanted to "let him go" as he was deteriorating with reduced O2 sats. I asked him if he had a recent simple chest x-ray, to which he said, "No". So you are just going to pull the plug on the guy, assuming it is only Covid causing his deterioration without a simple x-ray? I ordered the film, against the protests of the FMG. My dad had a large pneumothorax from a COPD bleb. I asked one of the thoracic guys to put in a chest tube. He was out of the hospital ten days later and is fine today. I never heard back from the FMG.

My aunt had a recent transphenoidal resection of a pituitary tumor at Mayo. Three weeks later, she became lethargic with labile blood pressures, syncope, and asthenia. She was admitted to the local hospital to a FMG who had no clue as to the cause of her symptoms. She was getting worse and was dying. My uncle happened to call me; I went to the hospital (I had privileges there) and looked at the labs. Okay................................ for the first graders out there................she had a RECENT RESECTION OF THE PITUITARY. WHAT DO YOU THINK WAS GOING ON? Okay- she was in an Addisonian crisis from lack of the glucocorticoids and mineral corticoids from the pituitary because guess what? SHE DIDN'T HAVE ONE AS IT WAS RESECTED THREE WEEKS EARLIER. So any idiot could have figured this out. To make matters worse, I found she gave a printed diagnosis and treatment sheet for IDIOTS who would not recognize an Addisonian crisis, which Mayo had provided, given they know there are a lot of idiots out there. But even with that sheet, they couldn't figure it out! I started an infusion of fluids and hydrocortisone for the evening to save her life, then had one of my US TRAINED endocrine friends come and take over her care!

I personally contracted pneumonia a few years ago. When my fever reached 105, I had my wife take me to the ER, as I was on the threshold of real trouble. Since I had chest pain as well, the ER doc thought I was having an MI and wanted to work me up and treat me for that. I told him I had pneumonia and needed an immediate IV, cultures, and anti-biotics with seizure precautions due to my high temp. When he left the bay, I put in my own IV (which they could not place) and called my best friend (a neurosurgeon) to come and save my ass from those idiots. He admitted me to his service (on a different floor, of course) and saved my life from those idiots.

I've got dozens of such instances. NEVER TRUST A FOREIGN MEDICAL GRAD AND MANY DOs. There is a far greater percentage of idiots in their ranks. When I did reviews of malpractice cases for our state board, the vast majority involved FMGs and DOs. They suck, but the public doesn't know any better. I've heard some on this site say they PREFER DOs of FMGs, which is just stupid.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:46 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It's embarrassing.

However, as a physician, I can say that you really need to stay on top of your healthcare and repeatedly question treating docs, particularly foreign medical grads and DOs, who are awful. If you knew how crappy their training was, it would scare the hell out of you. Keep in mind that the BEST DO medical school is worse than the WORST MD medical school! Often times they are "trained" by just watching other DOs and have very little didactic clinical course lectures. They have to arrange THEIR OWN clinical rotations with some DO that will take them for a given specialty, unlike the organized, rigorous training that occurs in MD schools right there at their institution. Some of those "training" those kids are not very good themselves and provide no formal course design or curriculum. It is awful. It is essentially trying to learn medicine on your own.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to intervene on the behalf of family members to save their lives from those idiots. I have told them MANY times to avoid foreign medical grads, but they tend to accept whoever their primary care doc sends them to.

For example:

My elderly father contracted Covid last year. He was a lifetime smoker (yet 90 years old and was lifting two 50lb sacks of grain at a time a few weeks before). His Covid doc wanted to "let him go" as he was deteriorating with reduced O2 sats. I asked him if he had a recent simple chest x-ray, to which he said, "No". So you are just going to pull the plug on the guy, assuming it is only Covid causing his deterioration without a simple x-ray? I ordered the film, against the protests of the FMG. My dad had a large pneumothorax from a COPD bleb. I asked one of the thoracic guys to put in a chest tube. He was out of the hospital ten days later and is fine today. I never heard back from the FMG.

My aunt had a recent transphenoidal resection of a pituitary tumor at Mayo. Three weeks later, she became lethargic with labile blood pressures, syncope, and asthenia. She was admitted to the local hospital to a FMG who had no clue as to the cause of her symptoms. She was getting worse and was dying. My uncle happened to call me; I went to the hospital (I had privileges there) and looked at the labs. Okay................................ for the first graders out there................she had a RECENT RESECTION OF THE PITUITARY. WHAT DO YOU THINK WAS GOING ON? Okay- she was in an Addisonian crisis from lack of the glucocorticoids and mineral corticoids from the pituitary because guess what? SHE DIDN'T HAVE ONE AS IT WAS RESECTED THREE WEEKS EARLIER. So any idiot could have figured this out. To make matters worse, I found she gave a printed diagnosis and treatment sheet for IDIOTS who would not recognize an Addisonian crisis, which Mayo had provided, given they know there are a lot of idiots out there. But even with that sheet, they couldn't figure it out! I started an infusion of fluids and hydrocortisone for the evening to save her life, then had one of my US TRAINED endocrine friends come and take over her care!

I personally contracted pneumonia a few years ago. When my fever reached 105, I had my wife take me to the ER, as I was on the threshold of real trouble. Since I had chest pain as well, the ER doc thought I was having an MI and wanted to work me up and treat me for that. I told him I had pneumonia and needed an immediate IV, cultures, and anti-biotics with seizure precautions due to my high temp. When he left the bay, I put in my own IV (which they could not place) and called my best friend (a neurosurgeon) to come and save my ass from those idiots. He admitted me to his service (on a different floor, of course) and saved my life from those idiots.

I've got dozens of such instances. NEVER TRUST A FOREIGN MEDICAL GRAD AND MANY DOs. There is a far greater percentage of idiots in their ranks. When I did reviews of malpractice cases for our state board, the vast majority involved FMGs and DOs. They suck, but the public doesn't know any better.
So how do you tell the hospital that you do not want foreign grads working on a loved one? How do you frame the request without pissing off a woke native born doctor or administrator?

Old 01-21-2022, 06:51 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
These kinds of posts are annoying to anyone who has ever worked in a hospital because they are so far removed from reality.

There is specific physiological parameters that must occur before a person can be intubated and put on a ventilator. They can't just do it because "they get more money".

You can't even put a catheter in somebody without jumping through a bunch of hoops. Much less a ventilator.

And the reason for this is that when you intubate and put people on ventilators the cost of care and complications of the care skyrockets. So whatever extra money you get on your DRG is eaten up by what it costs to take care of the ventilator patient. In fact, any bonus for COVID is probably eaten up by the cost of PPE alone.

Finally, and I'm sure a pencil pusher couldn't understand this part. It is a huge pain in the patoot to care for patients on ventilators. It's no fun for anybody. Not the patient, not the nurses, not the Doctors.

And even the hospital administrators don't like it when they get reports of the secondary infections and all the complications that come with intubation and ventilation. Medicare busts you big time if you have a certain number or percentage of hospital based infections. And ventilators are one of the best ways to manage to get those. And of course catheters are another. So even hospital administrators aren't big fans of putting patients on ventilators.
Doctors have been using false DXs to get around insurance payments for tests. If you have an online access to your records, look closely and you might discover a diagnosis, Dx, listed, which you do not have.

Hierarchical coding ICD10 codes are used and can be coded to a particular level that triggers payment or hides or showcases AEs. One case a new doc comes into clinical research and changes the coding convention on a study and AE's disappear. FDA sees the proliferation of AES dramatically drop and pursue the situation. Point being coding can impact the profile of a drug or condition depending on coding protocol set up in any given institution or phrama research project.

Stats claim over 100K medical error deaths a year.

sure, the details are missing, sounds as if a deviation from the rules, then again the institutional lack of ethics demonstrated by the feds, hospitals, insurers in pursuit of pushing a vaccine with an unknown safety profile and suppression of off label treatment for covid is a crime against humanity.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:58 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
So how do you tell the hospital that you do not want foreign grads working on a loved one? How do you frame the request without pissing off a woke native born doctor or administrator?
Just be nice about it and do not confuse looks with where someone was educated. Nothing like a patient cussing out a "foreign doc" because he is foreign-born but was educated and completed all training in the USA which is what I experienced working with foreign-born, US-educated docs (quite a few in Florida).

Guy was born in India, moved to the USA at 7 years old, and went to all US schools/training but some patients just looked at him and would start ranting not realizing the guy had a better education and more experience than me, the US-looking person they now want as their provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies