Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 08:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 9,179,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The intent of Trump's America First policies was to 1) shift manufacturing back to the US rather than be dependent on foreign countries that exploit laborers for sometimes pennies an hour and 2) level the playing field to remove the incentive for American-based companies to exploit said laborers.
That was the sales pitch, yes. Trump is a very good salesman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The democrat solution is for all Americans to "learn to code".
It’s mainly the business / neoliberal / corporate-libertarian crowd saying that. “Learn to code” is the new “get a job, you bum.” They assertion is that the costs of economic disruption should be born by the individual economic losers, instead of by the people who profit from the disruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 08:56 PM

20,882 posts, read 9,569,032 times
Here is a link showing US pharmaceutical production going back to 1972:
https://fredblog.stlouisfed.org/2020...al-production/

It peaked in Jan 2007 and declined from there, by roughly 35%. But then it had a small but sharp rise in late-2020 to early 2021, which I presume represents the production of Covid drugs (including the vaccines).

Since the decline began in 2007, when a republican was president, you can hardly blame democrats.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:07 PM

4,961 posts, read 2,243,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That was the sales pitch, yes. Trump is a very good salesman.

It’s mainly the business / neoliberal / corporate-libertarian crowd saying that. “Learn to code” is the new “get a job, you bum.” They assertion is that the costs of economic disruption should be born by the individual economic losers, instead of by the people who profit from the disruption.
And he delivered.

This deal uses trade rules to drive higher wages by requiring that 40-45 percent of auto content be made by workers earning at least $16 per hour.

"Learn to code" is a reference to Biden's insult on the coal miners who were threatened by Biden's policies.

Biden said, “Anybody who can go down 3,000 feet in a mine can sure as hell learn to program as well... Anybody who can throw coal into a furnace can learn how to program, for God’s sake!

Old 01-21-2022, 09:16 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
A friend of mine told me today that he called to renew his prescription. The pharmacist told him that they had no more of that drug and to call around to see if other pharmacies has any , if someone didn't pick up their prescription. How crazy is this?

Many other drugs are now impossible to get. Never trust the democrats. They mess every thing up .
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/supply...tion-shortage/
Nothing new, this happens all the time with pharmacies. It's been like this as long as I can remember. They will order it for you if they don't have the supply you need. But if you need it immediately then or course you should try other pharmacies. Nothing to do with politics.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:41 PM

29,841 posts, read 24,942,627 times
As long as the shipment of drugs destined for Hunter's nose arrives without delay, all is good. Brandon says he's doing a great job and you all should be thankful...

Old 01-21-2022, 10:44 PM

2,367 posts, read 911,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I just Googled "US drug imports from China," and among others, got this result:

China Is the Top Source of U.S. Pharmaceutical Imports, With India and Mexico Also Major Sources
^
Dated April 7, 2020.

In fact, most, if not all, of the links that search returned were dated before Biden became president.
Very interesting. I did the same google search and all of the articles were dated during the Trump years.

Why has the media stopped discussing this problem since Biden took over?

Old 01-22-2022, 01:49 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Trump was on the right track about brining all sorts of manufacturing back to the USA to prevent our reliance on other countries. I get it, the whole ideology behind globalism is to MAKE everyone dependent on each other for "good reasons" but it's not going to work because humanity doesn't care about anyones ideology.

As we can see with the covid situation, the only way to enforce ideology is to turn against those who aren't in full support of it...which never leads to anything good

Old 01-22-2022, 03:03 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
A friend of mine told me today that he called to renew his prescription. The pharmacist told him that they had no more of that drug and to call around to see if other pharmacies has any , if someone didn't pick up their prescription. How crazy is this?

Many other drugs are now impossible to get. Never trust the democrats. They mess every thing up .
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/supply...tion-shortage/

As long as there are many more low I.Q. voters
than higher I.Q. our nation is in for a world of hurt.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:10 AM

1,158 posts, read 962,914 times
I work in the insurance industry and drug shortages for specific drugs have always happened. A global pandemic does not help.

Probably not a very good idea for the US to rely on other countries for our drugs or anything else. Guess all that offshoring corporate America has engaged in for the last 30+ years in order to increase their profits has a downside....lol. The GOP heavily supported corporate America in offshoring.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 881,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here is a link showing US pharmaceutical production going back to 1972:
https://fredblog.stlouisfed.org/2020...al-production/

It peaked in Jan 2007 and declined from there, by roughly 35%. But then it had a small but sharp rise in late-2020 to early 2021, which I presume represents the production of Covid drugs (including the vaccines).

Since the decline began in 2007, when a republican was president, you can hardly blame democrats.

Actually, we can blame democrats. It began when Bill Clinton was in office. Until that time, pharma companies got tax credits for keeping their manufacturing in Puerto Rico. Clinton killed the tax credits and companies immediately started moving production to China, taking away a major portion of Puerto Rico's jobs. Now, about 90% of all ingredients for medications come from China and about 75% of all generic drugs in their entirety come from their as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies