Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 08:31 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Another sob story about student loans.

His family 'moved' to the U.S. when he was 6 years old, he made the choice himself to take out such an astronomical amount for student loans, and now I suppose he wants it all canceled?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/meet-firs...113000816.html

Quote:
But Sorto ended up with a different plan. At a college fair his senior year of high school, he realized higher education could be a reality for him. He attended a local university, thanks in part to Pell grants, scholarships for low-income students. Then, to progress in his chosen career as a probation officer, he sought a Master's degree, and later a Ph.D.

He now has $250,513 in student debt.

"I had to continue to provide for my mother and my grandmother, and so I had no choice but to start accumulating debt," Sorto told Insider. "It's the price I had to pay to achieve the American Dream."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 08:43 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Did he get a marketable skill for that money?
He got an advanced degree So I assume he was smart enough to know what he was doing? Maybe.
If there is an issue whose fault is it?

Old 01-23-2022, 08:45 AM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
"I had to continue to provide for my mother and my grandmother, and so I had no choice but to start accumulating debt," Sorto told Insider. "It's the price I had to pay to achieve the American Dream."

He did have a choice.
Wisdom did not come with that education it seems.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:59 AM

3,247 posts, read 3,202,698 times
Short of him becoming a director of public safety or a prison official, he’s going to spend a long time paying off that debt. Does he even make $50k a year? A PhD is useless unless he’s looking at upper management or getting into education.

He didn’t get good career advice.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:00 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Well one does not need a PhD to become a probation officer. That was his choice, his debt.

Now pay back Uncle Sam buddy !

Old 01-23-2022, 09:04 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another sob story about student loans.

His family 'moved' to the U.S. when he was 6 years old, he made the choice himself to take out such an astronomical amount for student loans, and now I suppose he wants it all canceled?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/meet-firs...113000816.html
Sounds like my nephew. His parents spent about 250k on his education. He received his BA degree and is some sort of probation/social worker thingy........no debt however. He does not make good money at all, not even close.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:09 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Dems election strategy- promise the moon, deliver hell

Old 01-23-2022, 09:10 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,316,697 times
The article doesn't directly say how he was spending the borrowed money, so I'm going to speak in generalities.
In cases like this, often the borrowed money is being used to pay for both school and living expenses. At first that makes sense, because you can't go to school if you don't have food and a place to live. But what can happen is people aren't staying in dormitories and eating sandwiches, but rather living in an apartment and eating in restaurants. They're not living high on the hog, but they are living a middle class life on borrowed money for several years.

Well, that's fine by me if you can get that deal.
BUT what galls me, is that there is a movement for loan forgiveness. That means that you and I are going to have to pay for these people who would rather go to school for 8 years than get a job of any kind, or even worse (in their minds), live at home while going to school. I had my own kids to support.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:10 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
That person chose to go into massive debt, they can choose to pay it off or file bankruptcy. I think you should be allowed to file bankruptcy on college debt if you want and destroy your credit for 7 years. I'd be fine with that, but just paying off student loans? No thanks. Doesn't matter the left will eventually do it anyways.

I laugh at these parents who think it's their obligation to pay for their children's college. We have such a soft society today. Never lend money to relatives you aren't willing to never see again and don't assume they will spend it wisely. People need to get degrees for careers that will make them more money than the private sector without a degree would. I make $65k without a degree and work little overtime.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-23-2022 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-23-2022, 09:15 AM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
to progress in his chosen career as a probation officer, he sought a Master's degree, and later a Ph.D.

What? A masters degree and then a Ph.D to be a probation officer?

Sorry, but this mess is entirely self-inflicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies